How to run The Word in Linux (unofficial)

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
Mike

How to run The Word in Linux (unofficial)

Post by Mike »

Some great blessings of Costas' hard work to us Linux users:

* Because it's not a .NET application, it runs perfectly in Linux.
* His software is _vastly_ superior to native Linux Bible apps in every way.
* Because of his great programming, we can automate module installation when we have a bunch of them.
* Some of us Linux nerds know how to use regular expressions, and you can search with them in The Word. How awesome is that?!

-- To install The Word --------------------------------------------------

1) As root or using sudo, install "wine" if it's not already installed.
2) Switch to your regular user account, not root.
3) Use your web browser to download the Windows installation program (currently theword-setup-3.0-en.exe)
4) In a console, run the following command in the directory to which you downloaded the setup file:
wine ./theword-setup-3.0-en.exe
5) Run The Word using any of the following methods:

* The installation will probably result in a The Word icon being added to your desktop. To start The Word, just double-click the icon.
* If you don't have a desktop icon for it, you'll probably find it in your normal applications menu (the Linux equivalent of Windows' "Start menu").
* And finally, if The Word does not appear in either place, you can always run it from the commandline:
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/The\ Word/theword.exe

-- To Install a SINGLE Module -----------------------------------------------

1) Use your regular user account, not root.
2) Use your web browser to download a module.
3) In a console, run the following command in the directory to which you downloaded the module:
wine ./'some_module.exe'

-- To Install a Collection of Modules -----------------------------------------

To save you oodles of time, you can do the following to automate the installation of all the modules you download.

1) As a regular user, download all the Bibles versions, dictionaries, etc. that you want, and save them all to ONE folder.
2) In that same folder, create an executable BASH script file:
touch install.sh && chmod 755 install.sh
3) Save the following lines to the script file:

v-- the script starts BELOW this line -----------------------------------------------v

clear
echo "== Install modules for The Word ========================"
echo ""

for i in *.exe
do echo "* Installing $i ..."
wine "./$i" /S /D=/Program Files/The Word
done

echo ""; echo "Done!"; echo ""

^-- the script ends ABOVE this line ------------------------------------------------^

4) Run the script using ONE of the following commands:
./install.sh
bash ./install.sh
5) Run The Word.

And enjoy this _fantastic_ software!

Costas, thanks so much for your work!
greatnw

Re: How to run The Word in Linux (unofficial)

Post by greatnw »

Don't know what took me so long to get to this site! I'm a huge e-sword fan and I like the look of this Bible software.

I followed the wine ./theword-setup-3.0-en.exe command as my regular user, not root, chose the install options and then hung up and wouldn't proceed when attempting to begin the install.

Mandriva MLO 2009.1
Wine 1.1.26
IBM ThinkpadT41

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Post by Mike »

I use Mandriva 2009.1, too, but what is "MLO"?

Sometimes, you have to run Win programs from wine's C drive, so move the install program to ~/.wine/drive_c and try again.

Does wine display any error messages in the console?

Mike
greatnw

Post by greatnw »

Hi Mike,

I saw the announcement somewhere and found Mandriva MLO on the Mandriva forum. Sounded like it is to Mandriva as Mint is to Ubuntu.

It is working great on my laptop and handles media much better. I'm not having some of the quirky little problems that I have with many distro's.

Their site is still in French. Here is a link to the announcement I saw.
http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php ... 42681b9eac

I'll try the wine tip.

I do get this line in Konsole, fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete SHAutoComplete stub

Thanks
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ah, well that makes more sense. Mandriva produces a version called One, which is a live CD version, and then this other French group uses One as the basis for yet another version.

The live CD versions, as you probably know, work a bit differently than the standard versions, and so I'm not surprised this isn't working. If I were you, I'd either download the DVD and and perform a fresh install of Mandriva Free, or switch over your current repositories to the standard ones and perform and update. Without knowing how MLO versions their packages, the latter may not work.

Mike
shane2peru

Post by shane2peru »

I have run TW for a long time on Linux and never really had any problems. Please run

Code: Select all

wine theword-setup-3.0-en.exe
as a regular user in the folder where you downloaded the setup program. You can use tab to auto complete the name of the app. Any errors you get please copy and paste them here. You shouldn't have to re-install to get TW to work in Linux, if that doesn't work, we will should be able to get it up and running. What other applications do you have installed with wine? Sometimes they install dll's that affect other installations.

Shane
(John 3:16) Porque de tal manera amó Dios al mundo, que ha dado a su Hijo unigénito, para que todo aquel que en Él cree, no se pierda, mas tenga vida eterna.
bromichaelhenry

Post by bromichaelhenry »

Just wanted to say thanks. Your instructions and script worked like a champ. Easiest install of a windows program on my computer to date. Again, thanks.

God Bless,
Bro. Michael Henry
evstevemd

Post by evstevemd »

How Do I create theWord's shortcut on Mandriva Linux 2010?
I have installed and started it after installation (It offers that option) but After quiting I cannot do that!
I would like to add it in my menu! Thanks
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world
shane2peru

Post by shane2peru »

Are you running Gnome or KDE? I know this is pretty easy to do in Gnome. KDE I'm not sure, although I know it can be done.

In Gnome you would right click on the menu and select edit menu. Click on the group you want to add it under, and select new item. In the command box you need to add this:

Code: Select all

env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\The Word\theword.exe"  
Of course that is assuming you have it running in a standard wine setup. You will need to change your user name for your user name. :) Enjoy. I think KDE would be something similar to this, just not sure how to access their menu editor. You will have to find an icon for it, mine is located in: ~/.local/share/icons/bunchofletters.png I'm sure that KDE will probably have another location for the icon. I have uploaded my icon if you need it.

Shane
Attachments
TW icon
TW icon
c0c4_theword.0.png (19.58 KiB) Viewed 16210 times
Last edited by shane2peru on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(John 3:16) Porque de tal manera amó Dios al mundo, que ha dado a su Hijo unigénito, para que todo aquel que en Él cree, no se pierda, mas tenga vida eterna.
evstevemd

Post by evstevemd »

Don't know how to add on KDE!
Is there any utility to add shortcut to menu :?:
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world
shane2peru

Post by shane2peru »

I found this: http://docs.kde.org/kde3/en_GB/kdebase/ ... grams.html are you using kde3 or 4? It may be similar.

Shane
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi evstevemd,

I'm not sure about adding an icon. I'm running Mandriva 2010 and when I installed The Word 3.1 (using the same instructions in this thread) an icon for The Word automatically appeared on my desktop.

I normally remove it anyway because I like a clean desktop. To run it, I:

1) Press Alt-F2 to open a run dialog box.
2) Type "word"
3) Click on "The Word" it in the suggestion list.

You can do the same from the launch menu (the "Start menu", in Windows parlance) if you're using the "kickoff" launcher rather than the "traditional" launcher.

Mandriva uses the traditional menu by default. To switch to the kickoff launch, click the gold swirly thing at the top-right of your screen, select "Add Widgets", and then add "Application Launcher".

Also, if you widgets are unlocked, you can find The Word in kickoff, right-click it, and select "Add to panel" to pin it to the panel (i.e. the quickstart bar).

Hope that helps,
Mike
geurink

Post by geurink »

Followed the above instructions except I ran the information in Ubuntu's Terminal instead of in a proper console. I don't think that caused the difficulty though.

What happened is it's running some other language instead of English. The install file that downloaded is theword-setup-3.1-en.exe . Sure looks like it should be English, and I'm sure I didn't select anything else as I only speak English and Portuguese.

The File drop-down list is labeled Fájl. The other four (Nézet, Eszközök, Ablakok, and Súgó) I can't figure out. The Pentateuch is 1-5Mózes, Joshua is Józsué, Judges Bírák, and so on.

The KJV is there in English as is the NET Bible and the WLC in Hebrew. However, clicking the TR just produces "Ebben a Biblia fordításban nincsenek benne a kijelölt versek".

I grew up Cessationist (though I may be waffling on that), so I tend to insist on the 1Cor14 interpreter anytime there's another language running around. Failing that, any ideas on how to get the whole program in English?

Michael
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Go to the installation folder and just delete all .lng files except the english.lng.
This will force theWord to run in english; brute but should work :)
Costas
geurink

Post by geurink »

And that did it...mostly.

There's still one spot--in both Book Views on the module tab list, the last one in the row with the little pencil icon that I'm gathering is let one write his own commentary, it still says "Vers jegyzeteim". If that's the only difficulty and everything else works, I don't mind living with a quirk or two (everyone else lives with mine).

Anyone know what language this is? Hungarian?

Thanks, Costa.

Michael