No greek characters with Wine

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
Theophilus

No greek characters with Wine

Post by Theophilus »

Hi, thank you for the Howto installing TW with Linux/Wine.
I followed it and it works. There is only one problem belonging the greek moduls: they are not displayed. (hebrew characters are working well). Any ideas?
mathetes

Re: No greek characters with Wine

Post by mathetes »

I use the dejavu font and it works fine. I didn't do anything special to get TW to work in wine.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

although i having tested it, i agree that it should just be a font issue. There is nothing else that comes to mind, try using a font that supports greek,
Costas
Theophilus

Post by Theophilus »

With dejavu it works. (I tried Gentium and some other fonts before - they works on windowsXP, but not with wine)
Thank You!
Wimn

Post by Wimn »

Dear folks,

I've got The Word flawlessly working under wine on a Ubuntu 9.10-box. I managed to resolve the question to display the Greek fonts according to the information on this website:

http://simos.info/blog/archives/888

All of the necessary fonts are available through the Synaptic packet-manager, you have to search them though and it needs some testing which font suits best.

Wim
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thank you!
For all linux experts: I have seen that it is possible to package wine along with a program to make it work on a linux box easily: anyone interested in working on such an idea?
Costas
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I'm not sure how much easier it can get. The only thing that could be done is to have the install program install the Dejavu font and change the english.lng file to use it. I do wish I didn't have to edit the english.lng file every time I install an update. Other than that I don't need to do anything different to install and run The Word. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 & 9.10 and the latest version of WINE.
Wimn

Post by Wimn »

Alas dear Costas,

Although I am an enthousiast linux user, I'm not a real expert regarding programming anything :? Expecting a ongoing development of Wine, I guess The Word will continue working (even better) under linux. The number of linux users is growing, so I hope this will be the case :) The Word is the best free bible software in my opinion, it rivals e-sword, even more because I can run it with a dutch interface, which is my native language. I appreciate very much you take into account all the feedback you and your team get on the forum regarding the further development of The Word.

Greetings,

Wim
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thank you Wim.
I would really like to help solve the linux issues but i don't have the time (or expertise to do it fast), so I am always grateful when someone else gives a hint
Costas
maney

Post by maney »

I don't have any issues typing in Greek. My problem is that the Greek and Hebrew bibles don't display properly. The bibles just show a bunch of square boxes where the letters should be. I['v tried copying Greek and Hebrew text from another source and pasting it into a book module in the word and it renders properly. I've also tried changing to a font which will display Greek. That also doesn't work. A funny thing just happened. I was about to copy and paste a verse of scripture into this post. I copied the "square words" and when I pasted it into this post ,ροφοριας τ , this showed up. So obviously its not a font issue. Does anyone have any ideas why my Greek bibles won't display the Greek fonts? I'm running ubuntu 10.04 64 bit
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

maney wrote:I don't have any issues typing in Greek. My problem is that the Greek and Hebrew bibles don't display properly. The bibles just show a bunch of square boxes where the letters should be. I['v tried copying Greek and Hebrew text from another source and pasting it into a book module in the word and it renders properly. I've also tried changing to a font which will display Greek. That also doesn't work. A funny thing just happened. I was about to copy and paste a verse of scripture into this post. I copied the "square words" and when I pasted it into this post ,ροφοριας τ , this showed up. So obviously its not a font issue. Does anyone have any ideas why my Greek bibles won't display the Greek fonts? I'm running ubuntu 10.04 64 bit
From this description it seems that it is a font issue :)
A square on the screen usually means that the used font does not contain the requested glyph. The fact that copy-paste works proves this: the correct chars are used, but the font is unable to display them.
Try File->preferences->bible text to define custom fonts for modules there,
Costas
maney

Post by maney »

thank you, this worked. I did try different fonts in the bible view options >fonts colors and styles> by the first check mark but none of the fonts I chose from here helped. Thanks again.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

maney wrote:thank you, this worked. I did try different fonts in the bible view options >fonts colors and styles> by the first check mark but none of the fonts I chose from here helped. Thanks again.
The reason is that this setting applies to all Bibles that do NOT have specific fonts! But it happens that the Hebrew and Greek modules all have specific fonts by default, this is why it 'didn't work'.
Costas
mclugg

Post by mclugg »

I'm still not able to see Greek fonts. The Hebrew works fine. I'm running the program on a Mac with Wine. All I get are squares. When I copy the squares and paste them into a work processor it pastes the Greek word. I've tried tweaking the File/Preferences/Font settings but to no avail. Thanks for any suggestions.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

mclugg wrote:I'm still not able to see Greek fonts. The Hebrew works fine. I'm running the program on a Mac with Wine. All I get are squares. When I copy the squares and paste them into a work processor it pastes the Greek word. I've tried tweaking the File/Preferences/Font settings but to no avail. Thanks for any suggestions.
In which part of the program you don't see Greek?