[SOL]My modules have no password but aren't converted(Linux)

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
JorgeM93

[SOL]My modules have no password but aren't converted(Linux)

Post by JorgeM93 »

Hello TW and Linux users. I just got to say that his app is awesome, and works flawlessy under wine! which is great.

But I got a single problem: I used to be an e-sword user and have a wide collection of biblies, comments, dictionaries, etc. in e-sword's 8.x version filetypes (none of them are paid). As I know, TW's importer tool should be capable of setting them to work well as one of its native modules but when I try to convert them it it says that they are protected by a password.

Any idea?.

Thanks for reading this post.

PS: However, I'm going to try to do this under windows, if I have succes, I will copy the files from C:\Users\Public\Program data\The Word\ (Not 100% because my computer is in Spanish, but I know the directory) to its wine equivalent.
Last edited by JorgeM93 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JG

Re: My modules have no password but aren't converted (Linux)

Post by JG »

Hi, I would check to see that the e-Sword modules are not write protected.

Jon
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Jorge,
pls, notice that all official eSword 8 modules are password protected, not just the paid ones.
Is this the case?
Also, the importer makes a copy of the file before conversion, so needs write access where the mod resides.
Costas
therapon

Post by therapon »

So far I haven't figured out the secret to getting the importer to work in Linux. A module that converts fine in windows gives the password protection message in linux. It's a bummer but I'm thankful for a windows box to do the few conversions I need. If it is write permission related, it is only the TW Importer that has a problem with it. Other linux and windows apps can write to the output folder with no problem.

therapon
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Oops, i know why!
The converter needs to access Microsoft Access files (the eSword mods) and needs the MDAC components of Microsoft in order to do that. The MDAC components are installed by default in windows machines, but not on wine, that's why.
Try getting them and installing on wine,
Costas
therapon

Post by therapon »

Downloaded and installed Jet40SP8_9xNT.exe from this site

http://www.macropool.com/en/download/mdac/

Importer now works under wine.

therapon
JorgeM93

Post by JorgeM93 »

Thank you, I'm sorry for the looong delay :oops:. I think the problem is about eSowrd's v8 official modules because the unofficial ones were converted succesfully (OK, I did it under Windows but then copied the .ont files to TW's folder).

But this good for me. After all, I just couldn't get to work two of 13 modules (Contemporary English Version and Dios Habla Hoy).

Thanks for your support
JorgeM93

Post by JorgeM93 »

Is there a way to put [SOLVED] or something like that in the title?

In my opinion, The Word is now perfectly usable now in mw Linux desktop.

PS: I can just start wondering how many people is trying to be able to get Bible-related software to work under Linux. Are there a lot of christians using this platform :?:
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

JorgeM93 wrote:Is there a way to put [SOLVED] or something like that in the title?

In my opinion, The Word is now perfectly usable now in mw Linux desktop.
This is great to know! Thank you, added the SOLVED.
Spread The Word!
Costas
webmedic

Re: [SOL]My modules have no password but aren't converted(Linux)

Post by webmedic »

thanks for this I have been doing most of my development under Linux lately and was not able to get the importer to work. I'll try installing mdac under wine.