The Word on a Mac suggestion/question...

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
coords

The Word on a Mac suggestion/question...

Post by coords »

Hi Costas

Since a few months I have moved to a Mac as my primary "PC" at home, and really miss your program as a native Mac app. I run it in a Windows virtual PC, but it's never the same as a program that runs nativly on a Mac.

When I went looking for a program for the Mac, I found Bible Explorer (http://www.bible-explorer.com/be4mac.php). This is a Windows program that is also available for the Mac (still as a Windows program running on Wine) with it's own Mac installer. When I saw this, I had to think of your program also being distributed in this way. I realize you are a Windows programmer, but perhaps there is someone who could help you to make a package like this.

I hope you will concider this, as I'm sure there are many more folks who would like to use your program in this way.

God bless
Garth
Born once, die twice; born twice, die once! - Martin Luther
csterg
Site Admin

Re: The Word on a Mac suggestion/question...

Post by csterg »

Hi Garth,
i would like this very much. Since i don't have a MAC i don't know how to do it, yet i know that tw runs fine with wine on mac. Can you undertake the job of creating such a package/installer?
Costas
coords

Post by coords »

Costas,

I have no idea how to, I'm not a programmer, but I will take a look into it!

Garth
coords

Post by coords »

Costas

I am working on making The Word work on a Mac, and using Wine it looks pretty good. There are however a few strange problems I encounter, one in particular that needs looking into.

When using the Bible tree to look up a section in the Bible, I see a strange anomaly under each book. When you open the book for example Ezra, directly under it is a book "foo". It's actually not a book, but has the same icon as one, and when I click on it, I see Ezra 1. If I then click on Ezra 1 just below it, I actually see Ezra 2. This happens throughout the bible.

Something else that doesn't play nice are the alpha-blended shadows. In Wine apps they appear as grey lines, and it would be handy if they could be switched off. Not a major issue at all, but would be nice if it could be addressed.

I have also managed to find the Mac installer package in the developers kit, and it looks like I could get it to work. Slow but steady progress...

God bless.
Garth
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

coords wrote:Costas

I am working on making The Word work on a Mac, and using Wine it looks pretty good. There are however a few strange problems I encounter, one in particular that needs looking into.

When using the Bible tree to look up a section in the Bible, I see a strange anomaly under each book. When you open the book for example Ezra, directly under it is a book "foo". It's actually not a book, but has the same icon as one, and when I click on it, I see Ezra 1. If I then click on Ezra 1 just below it, I actually see Ezra 2. This happens throughout the bible.

Something else that doesn't play nice are the alpha-blended shadows. In Wine apps they appear as grey lines, and it would be handy if they could be switched off. Not a major issue at all, but would be nice if it could be addressed.

I have also managed to find the Mac installer package in the developers kit, and it looks like I could get it to work. Slow but steady progress...

God bless.
Garth
Hi Garth,
thank you for your efforts! Another user has just made a similar installer and it is ready to publish! It would be good it you could join this effort. Can you mail ms pls?
Concerning the 'foo': the new version 3.1.3 addresses exactly this issue. Can you pls upgrade and see if it is ok?
Concerning the shadows: send me some screenshots pls to check,

Hopefully, we will have an official Mac installer soon. I will surely need help with support questions and other things since i don't have a MAC.
Costas
ke4ke

Post by ke4ke »

Hello,

I downloaded and installed with out any problem what so ever on my iMac running OSX 10.6.3 with Crossover 9.0.

I will try it on my Linux Mint install on the laptop next.

Very nice program!

Tim
KE4KE
coords

Post by coords »

Hi Costas

I have added two screenshots of what I was taking about with the alpha-blend issue. I hope the screenshots clarify what I am trying to explain. In my opinion it would look better without the shadow. What do you think?

I almost forgot... the "foo" issue has been solved! Outstanding and thank you.

Garth
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-05-10 at 5.46.02 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-05-10 at 5.46.02 PM.png (33.53 KiB) Viewed 8342 times
Screen shot 2010-05-10 at 5.45.36 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-05-10 at 5.45.36 PM.png (280.56 KiB) Viewed 8342 times
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This has now been fixed.
Can you pls check the beta to verify?
http://www.theword.gr/files/beta/theword.rar

Also an issue where some topic could not be selected with mouse-clicks.
Costas
coords

Post by coords »

Great Costas, I'll give it a test when I get home from work and let you know how it goes

Garth
coords

Post by coords »

Sorry about the delay, but I managed to test this weekend, and it all worked as expected. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing the Mac installer here soon!

Garth
wadib

Post by wadib »

Hello gentlemen, I'm trying myself to run it using crossover for mac. But what does the bottle requires.
Thank you
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

There is no specific requirement; should run out-of-the-box
Costas
HartmutP

Post by HartmutP »

Hi Apples ;-),

just as a preleminary information, my little brother found "winebottler" http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ -
this "wraps" TheWord as an app, and you don´t need to install Wine/Crossover/...

It works quite well. At the moment my brother is tweaking some things a bit, cause the addition of books/bibles after the installation needs to be done manually (into a very long path....). His intention is to provide a ready package for download, and also a guideline how to expand your library.

We´ll keep you updated!

Rgds, Hartmut
wadib

Post by wadib »

Thank you csterg, I tried it but the arabic bible letters are not displayed correctly. Every word letters is alone. Normally letters within every word should be attached.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

wadib wrote:Thank you csterg, I tried it but the arabic bible letters are not displayed correctly. Every word letters is alone. Normally letters within every word should be attached.
This should be a wine issue.
Do you have contextual shaping in other programs under wine?
Costas