Floating windows

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
therapon

Floating windows

Post by therapon »

Hi,

I've had an issue with TW in Wine for a long time with popup windows misbehaving after using the Shift key and mouseover to keep the popup visible. Subsequent popups (until restarting TW) mostly just flash unless you use the Shift key to keep them visible. However, if I configure Wine to run TW in a virtual desktop, popups behave correctly and the preview isn't empty (with Wine 1.2 and later). Nice, I thought, that's the way to go. And then I discovered the floating window issue.

I like to have a Bible view set for always floating; I can resize it, move it where it's out of the way, really convenient. BUT, when running TW in a virtual desktop the floating window goes underneath when you click on anything that takes the focus away from it. You can Ctrl-F11 and finally get back to it, but it won't stay on top of the other windows.

Oh yes, the Search view goes and hides under the other views when it loses focus also.

Any ideas? Or is this a "one or the other" situation I'll have to live with?

therapon

PS. I've also noticed that when I'm using a Book view to enter notes in my own module, then click on a Bible view scroll bar, the tool bars change but the cursor stays in the Book view. I can keep entering text, etc, in the Book view but to get the correct tool bar back I have to actually click in the view with the mouse.
therapon

Re: Floating windows

Post by therapon »

Just for grins, I tried Crossover to see if popups and floating windows would behave any better. Popups work fine when you hover, then shift and move the mouse over. Floating windows stay on top, too. Yeah, they stay on top of everything, on all four sides of the cube (I use the cube desktop effect in KDE). So,... no help there.

Would it be possible to use a dll override in Wine to get popups working correctly?

therapon
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Floating windows

Post by csterg »

Just a late reply: i can't say why this happens and i have no way to fix.