Too Many Open Files Error

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
Dale

Too Many Open Files Error

Post by Dale »

I'm new to Linux, and am running Ubuntu 10.04 with WINE 2.1. So far so good, except for running The Word. When I first installed The Word, it worked fine. After adding a few modules, it worked fine. After adding all of my modules, it keeps stopping during the booting process with the pop up message "Too many open files (EFOpenError)" for several modules and then shuts down.
I know next door to nothing about Linux... So please keep it simple :oops:
mathetes

Re: Too Many Open Files Error

Post by mathetes »

I have never seen this error so I don't know what the problem may be but I would suggest that you install the latest version of WINE. I think you meant that you are running version 1.2. The latest version is currently 1.3.3. You can find directions for installing it from the WINE repository here: http://www.winehq.org/download/deb
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This is just a wine issue; you should be able to increase the maximum number of open files allowed for a process; theWord obviously needs to open many files at the same time, this is why you see this; it's not an error, but you need to set it somewhere,
Costas
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thank you for the replies. I know it is not an error in The Word, which is some of the best software of any kind that I have ever used. I hope I did not give the impression that Costas' program was in anyway at fault.
When the error occurred I felt, like Costas stated, that there must be some set restriction in WINE (yes, my mistype, it is 1.2). I just am at a loss as to how to reset this limit as I do not see any such option in the configure WINE menu.
I will try updating to 1.3.3 as mathetes suggested and see if that works or if that version has a more obvious reset option...
Dale

Post by Dale »

Downloaded and installed WINE 1.3.3...
Under WINE Configuration I alternately assigned The Word to run as a Windows XP application, Windows Vista application, Windows 7 application, with WINE default settings, and by "Global Settings" - all produced the same effect and error...

Any WINE gurus out there?
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

In doing a search on file open errors, the only information I can find deals with database or torrent file issues. Linux, by default seems to allow a far larger number of open file handles than the average user would need. Here is one site I found dealing with what may be your problem: http://tech-torch.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... files.html
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Dale

Post by Dale »

I greatly appreciate all of the help, but unfortunately none of these things changes my restriction to 1024 files (I have 1443 modules between the Books and Bibles folders alone).
Apparently this restriction code is hiding somewhere other than in the sysctl.conf or security folder. I'll keep rooting around in the root files until I find something... or give up...
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Dale wrote:I greatly appreciate all of the help, but unfortunately none of these things changes my restriction to 1024 files (I have 1443 modules between the Books and Bibles folders alone).
Apparently this restriction code is hiding somewhere other than in the sysctl.conf or security folder. I'll keep rooting around in the root files until I find something... or give up...
Let me suggest that you ask on the wine forum,
Costas
Dale

Post by Dale »

So far I've searched dozens of forums and sites that insist that changes to sysctl.conf, pam, or using the ulimit -n XXXX command will work, but people reply back that nothing helps. Indeed I have tried all of these and they do not work.
I have also found that the system limit files are in the /proc/self/limits file in Ubuntu 10.04, but I cannot find anyway to change these settings (1024 for open files).
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I don't think it is a WINE specific issue. So if you run "ulimit -a" it shows a maximum number of open files you can have as 1024? Did you run "ulimit -n xxx" as a root user? My open files limit when I run "ulimit -a" is showing as 1024 but when I run ulimit -n 2048 it will then show the change.
Dale

Post by Dale »

If I use "ulimit -n XXX" as a root user it will show that number when you type ulimit -n or ulimit -a but it does not change the actual limit set in /proc/self/limits nor does it persist if you log off or restart.
Does anyone know how to change this set maximum limit in /proc/self/limits?

And yes, I've already added command lines for hard and soft limits in /etc/security/sysctl.config.
JG

Post by JG »

Hi, maybe this thread is of some help?

http://www.karakas-online.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9834
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet