theWord for MAC package

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
racha33

Re: theWord for MAC package

Post by racha33 »

Hello All,
Thank you for the great info in this forum.
I have a question, is there a way to let this version keep track of the clipboard on the mac os, and perform as per normaly on windows?

Thank you
Oak

Post by Oak »

racha33 wrote: I have a question, is there a way to let this version keep track of the clipboard on the mac os, and perform as per normaly on windows?
What exactly do you mean? Is the clipboard not working in theWord? Or is it not working at all? Are you wanting to record clipboard entries? I do not understand.
vman

Post by vman »

Hi

I am using Mountain lion and Xquartz 2.7.4. I run the word perfectly but when I download modules the extensions are all .exe Is there a different library where I can download modules (Bible versions, Dictionaries etc) that I can install into my version of the word running on my Mac? Or is there a procedure to install the .exe files into the word?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Vincent
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Vincent,
did you install the MAC package available here?
Costas
wpoooh

Post by wpoooh »

Hi, I am a new mac user and would like to install theWord on my mac. How do I go about doing it? I read the threads on this forum. But I am not sure. pls help.

Thank you
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello and welcome.
Just read the first post on this thread! Download the MAC package and run it,
Costas
AnkeJStoye

Feedback - Re: theWord for MAC package

Post by AnkeJStoye »

I've been using theWord on my MacBook Pro for some weeks and it runs nicely. THANK YOU for making this awesome study tool available for free. I'm reading different English, German and Italian versions. I used Wine to be able to run it on the Mac.
Just one issue so far:
I'm running theWord on my PC as well. So I know that scrolling slowly from verse to verse with the mouse it possible on the PC smoothly.
On my Mac, I use my trackpad; scrolling is not as smooth - a little bit wobbly and not as precise as in the PC version. Sometimes, if I just want to go down a few verse, I end up in the next chapter a bit abruptly.

I saw in the forum that a Mac Update is on the way so this may already have been fixed.
Looking forward to using the Reading Plan creating tool on the Mac as well. :-)
csterg wrote:Hi everyone,
a new package has been created that allows theWord to run on a MAC. It uses wine 1.2.2 and Winebottler.
There is also an extra app called 'theWord module installer' that allows proper installation of add-on modules after the first installation.
Download the MAC version here: http://www.theword.net/files/mac/theWord.pkg.zip (theWord version 3.2.1.1167).

To install, just unzip and double click on the theWord.pkg folder: an installer will start that will automate the rest.

This is considered a beta so feedback is well appreciated. If you have a MAC (or know someone with a MAC), pls install it and provide some feedback.

The package has been created with the valuable help of Piotr (thank you!) and other beta testers in private. It will soon be released publicly along with detailed instructions,

Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

theWord 4 for MAC update: read here.
isjacob

Re: The most easiest way to use theWord in MAC

Post by isjacob »

Hi, Costas,

I am using Wineskin. It is straightforward.
No special configuration is needed and I can read Chinese/Hebrew/Greek immediately.
Wineskin is free of charge and I don't need to install XQuartz in Mountain Lion.
What I have done:
1. Download Wineskin Winery from http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com
2. Run the Wineskin Winery -> add a new engine -> create New Wrapper
3. Download theWord setup file
4. Run the newly created Wrapper -> install -> choose theWord setup file

If you want to customize the application, you can use regedit or winetricks that comes with Wineskin.
Yet, for theWord, I don't need to do anything on it but replacing a better icon.

Same as Eliran's case, the drawback is that I cannot type Chinese directly into theWord but copy and paste.

To install theWord module is easy:
1. right-click on the newly created apps -> Show Package Contents
2. double-click the Wineskin.app -> Advanced -> Install Software
3. After the installation, an dialogue box will said "oops! no new executable founds". Just press "Ok" and the module is installed.

Cheers,
Isjacob