theWord for MAC package

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
csterg
Site Admin

theWord for MAC package

Post by csterg »

Hi everyone,
a new package has been created that allows theWord to run on a MAC. It uses wine 1.2.2 and Winebottler.
There is also an extra app called 'theWord module installer' that allows proper installation of add-on modules after the first installation.
Download the MAC version here: http://www.theword.net/files/mac/theWord.pkg.zip (theWord version 3.2.1.1167).

To install, just unzip and double click on the theWord.pkg folder: an installer will start that will automate the rest.

This is considered a beta so feedback is well appreciated. If you have a MAC (or know someone with a MAC), pls install it and provide some feedback.

The package has been created with the valuable help of Piotr (thank you!) and other beta testers in private. It will soon be released publicly along with detailed instructions,

Costas
HartmutP

Re: theWord for MAC package

Post by HartmutP »

If another window (program) is opened/brought to the front, TW does not come to the front with a click on it, just when moving it. If another X11 opened, seemed to disappear...? -> maybe introduced by new wine 1.2.2?

Rgds, Hartmut
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

There are 2 alternatives here that both have bugs; one is to have Wine decorate the actual window, the other is to leave it as you see;
Both have issues, i selected this one that makes it 'look' better....
Costas
pkontek

Post by pkontek »

I have the same problem. Sometimes it works well, sometimes not. Maybe it is connected with some action that theWord execute after clicko on Bible verse?
But, it comes to the front when you clikck on its icon in dock. And CMD-tab also works well.
Paolo88

Post by Paolo88 »

Hi,

Here´s a tip
if you want to copy & paste per shortcut, use [Ctrl] + [C / V] in "theWord" and [CMD] + [C / V] in your native MAC program. Unfortunately the function "Clipboard monitoring" don´t work...
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

It is true that there are some glitches here and there (the CM is a major one).
I' d like to have feedback on the installation procedure also, whether it was smooth, etc.
Costas
BDRoth

Post by BDRoth »

I was already running theWord on Wine 1.2.2 but downloaded the zip anyway to get the module installer app and to give the installer package a try for the sake of feedback. I uninstalled theWord, wine, & wine bottler from my mac (backed up just in case) to see what the installer package would do.

Everything worked brilliantly from the standpoint of the installer. MUCH simpler than going through the process of finding wine, figuring out how to install wine then install theWord using wine, etc etc... Great job!

I tried opening the "Module installer" app but it gave me the error message: "You can’t open the application “theWord Module Installer” because it’s not supported on this type of Mac." I'm running a MacBook with intel processor on OSX 10.6.6

Any idea why the module installer wouldn't work though theWord application is running fine?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

BDRoth wrote:I was already running theWord on Wine 1.2.2 but downloaded the zip anyway to get the module installer app and to give the installer package a try for the sake of feedback. I uninstalled theWord, wine, & wine bottler from my mac (backed up just in case) to see what the installer package would do.

Everything worked brilliantly from the standpoint of the installer. MUCH simpler than going through the process of finding wine, figuring out how to install wine then install theWord using wine, etc etc... Great job!

I tried opening the "Module installer" app but it gave me the error message: "You can’t open the application “theWord Module Installer” because it’s not supported on this type of Mac." I'm running a MacBook with intel processor on OSX 10.6.6

Any idea why the module installer wouldn't work though theWord application is running fine?
I suppose this is an intel processor. 10.6.6 is suppose to be the latest version, correct? hm, very interesting, this is an xcode application, nothing special. Any ideas?
Costas
Paolo88

Post by Paolo88 »

Hi BDRoth,

please try this way:
  • "Show package content" from Module Installer
  • Go "Content / MacOS" and run the executable UNIX-file "theWord Module Installer"
Did you get a window with "theWord Module installer" - instructions?

! ! ! the Xcode application will not start until you select an executable (exe) file. ! ! !
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I suppose he is clicking on the icon in the applications folder
Costas
pkontek

Post by pkontek »

BDRoth Can you paste any screenshot?

Piotr
BDRoth

Post by BDRoth »

csterg wrote:I suppose he is clicking on the icon in the applications folder
Costas
Correct. When I ran the installer package it created two "application" in my apps folder: theWord and theWord Installer. When I clicked on theWord in the applications folder it brought everything up fine but the installer icon did not. I haven't tried running it any other way b/c I've been a bit busy and just haven't used my home computer in a few days. I'll give some of the stuff suggested a try when I get home this afternoon and throw some screen shots on.

Thanks
zhage

Post by zhage »

Hi TheWORD lovers,

I am new to the forum, but have used TheWORD for more than a year on Windows and on my Mac, so far under VMware's Fusion 3.0
Since I do all of my work on a Mac as everyone else in our school I wanted to try the MAC package. I have played with it for a few days now.
Here are my observations:
  • The installation worked perfectly fine.
    Although at first I used the standard package with few modules, it responded much faster than under Fusion!
    If you have your MacBook's preferences for the trackpad set to 'scrolling with inertia' you'd better change that to 'without', when you scroll fast it seems to go on for ever!
    I use a lot of different languages and so far I noticed that the Hebrew worked fine, but you cannot click exactly on a word, it randomly selects a few letters, even across word boundaries in the proximity of where you click.
    Greek did not work at first but after some fiddling with the fonts it is working now. The same is true for Chinese although I had to manually install extra fonts, and then set them as default for the Bible texts. The only problem with Chinese is that, with Strongs numbers on, I first saw squares only and nice big numbers for Strong. However after adjusting the fonts, I can now see Chinese characters (although the version has a lot of typos!) but for some reason the Strong's numbers changed in size to extremely small. I do not know how to adjust the size of these numbers. It is hard to read.
    As for using the Installer, I have encountered no problems. The disadvantage is that you cannot select more than one (1) file, which makes it cumbersome. However if you try to find where the modules are stored, you can simply copy and paste them into the right folder. I tried and it works. So far I have not noticed the number of modules slows down the program.
In case you want to know where they are, it is deep, deep inside the Mac structure: Macintosh HD-Users-Your Name-Library-Application Support-Wine-Prefixes-theWord-Drive_C-Program Files-The Word. In this folder you find the familiar folders with Bibles and Books etc.

The font problem I still do not understand. Inside the Wine folder there is a Fonts folder with only 2 fonts, then inside the Windows part of the Wine folder there is also a Fonts folder with many, but they are not the same as I have on my Mac, so they are not imported into the Wine structure from my Mac's Fontbook. Then there is a very different set of fonts that you can choose from inside TheWORD, when you set the default fonts for the Bible texts. These 4 collections of fonts do not seem connected...?

I will keep experimenting and let you know if something comes up. So far I am very happy with the best Mac experience so far with TheWord!

Blessings to you all from Asia
ἐκεῖνον δεῖ αὐξάνειν, ἐμὲ δὲ ἐλαττοῦσθαι.
zhage

Post by zhage »

Dear Philogoi,

A few more feedback items on using the beta for Mac:
-the program does not remember settings.
1. Every time I have to set the font for Chinese again, so the translation always shows 'squares' only until I change the font..
2. Every time the default translation reverts back to NET and not the one I selected.
3. Every time I need to change again the names of my renamed Bibles (so as to fit more along the top)
4. Every time the program opens with the window that new modules have been detected every time. Although you can just close the window (rather than click on 'yes' or 'no') it should not be necessary.
-Chinese language modules do not show up properly, the content displays about 10% in 'squares' and the title of the module does not display any Chinese characters at all.
ἐκεῖνον δεῖ αὐξάνειν, ἐμὲ δὲ ἐλαττοῦσθαι.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello zhage,
thank you for your great feedback and your help in finding out issues.

Let me comment on some:
Hebrew worked fine, but you cannot click exactly on a word
Yes, i have seen this too; i can't do much about it, this is an issue with wine; it's not always there
Greek did not work at first but after some fiddling with the fonts it is working now.
I would expect Greek to work; the installer puts the Gentium and Cardo fonts in the Windows\Fonts directory exactly for this reason; but, to be honest, in my MAC they worked even before i did this, so there is an issue there probably. I need some help with this.
The same is true for Chinese although I had to manually install extra fonts
Same answer; obviously there are missing fonts; i am not sure why it works here and how i can replicate this issue so i can find a workaround.
Strong's numbers changed in size to extremely small. I do not know how to adjust the size of these numbers.
Tools->Bible view options->Strong code->Relative fonts size
The disadvantage is that you cannot select more than one (1) file, which makes it cumbersome.
True; but this also happens in windows also so let's skip that.
the program does not remember settings.
All issues you bring up here are from the same cause. This should't happen normally. Settings are saved in the config.ini file which exists in the same folder as theword.exe (the one in user's folder). Can you check file permissions on this one?
Costas