theWord for MAC package

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
Oak

Re: theWord for MAC package

Post by Oak »

Hi Everyone!

Having used WineBottler in the past, some issues in this thread are familiar to me. When first run WineBottler copies most everything from the theWord application into your home folder. So if you have problems it usually isn't in the application itself but in the home folder; in /Users/<username>/Application Support/Wine/Prefixes/theWord/.

The little squares is definitely a font issue and is usually caused by a missing font in the system. So to make it work you have to know what font(s) are needed by theWord and place those fonts in /Library/Fonts folder which is where they are linked to. Or you can also put them in /Users/<username>/Application Support/Wine/Prefixes/theWord/drive_c/windows/Fonts/

About saving your settings: In order to save settings you must quit from the file menu in theWord, *not* by using the red "close" button. Using the red "close" button will kill theWord executable and not give theWord an opportunity to save anything.

BTW it isn't XCode that WINE uses, it's X11.
The copy problem is usually caused by a bug in X11. (X11 is the windowing system WINE uses to display the Windows GUI.) The work-around is to have something on the Mac clipboard first. If that doesn't work for you then the problem is in X11's preferences settings. You must have the preferences set to sync the clipboard both ways, from the Mac clipboard and to the Mac clipboard.

In most cases it will greatly improve your ability to use theWord (any WINEd program) if you upgrade to the free, open-source XQuartz - XQuartz is a replacement for Apple's X11 - and is in fact the development/bleeding edge of Apple's X11.
Home page:<http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki>
List of releases: <http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/Releases> No release for Tiger (Mac OS X 10.5). No more releases for Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) v 2.6.1 is the last Leopard release.

Hope this helps someone.

Blessings, :)
-Oak
Oak

Post by Oak »

BTW, I'm running theWord successfully under Apple's latest OS release, Mac OS X 10.7, aka Lion. Works great!

Oh, yeah, and another thing... Mac is the shortened form of Macintosh... so it isn't in all caps, it's "Mac".
MAC is the alphanumeric hardware address of a networkable device. :wink:

Blessings,
-Oak
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thank you Oak for this much needed advice! Truly excellent (for me also that i have little Mac experience which may show in the build of this package)
Costas
Oak

Post by Oak »

Costas,

Thanks. Glad you found my comments useful.

Since you are using an installer, you could automate the setting of X11's preferences using Apple's "defaults" system (in the Mac's Terminal type: man defaults, for more info). I don't remember the syntax at the moment, but I did once write a bash shell script to set the clipboard preferences in X11 so copy/paste would work with a WineBottler application.

Additionally I wrote a small applescript to make a work-around easier for the copy bug in X11. All it does is set a blank space on the clipboard at login/boot so there is something on the clipboard and copy will usually work. A shell script should work better, but I could not find the right commands/syntax to make it work.

Maybe I can look around when I get time and post the code here and you can work it into your next installer/update.

Blessings,
-Oak
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Very useful, thank you
Meyer

Post by Meyer »

Hi every body, I work with a Macbook Air, theword using wine on X11works perfect ! Now I have several other bibles that I would like to convert from e-sword.
I have the files (these are public, no passwords!) When I run TheWord module Installer saids that it is not possible because there is a password. Why?? What can I do ? How can I install these bibles ? Thanks. Gbu
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Meyer wrote:Hi every body, I work with a Macbook Air, theword using wine on X11works perfect ! Now I have several other bibles that I would like to convert from e-sword.
I have the files (these are public, no passwords!) When I run TheWord module Installer saids that it is not possible because there is a password. Why?? What can I do ? How can I install these bibles ? Thanks. Gbu
Well, if the importer says there is a password, there probably exists one, OR, you cannot convert the mods in a MAC. eSword files require some ms access components that may be missing in a MAC environment. Do you have access to a win machine?
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

You should be able to get these modules in theWord format, from the main website.
If not, what are the names of the files?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Meyer

Post by Meyer »

Books and dictionaries:
Diccionario de hebreo biblico
Comentario del diario vivir
comentario plenitud
Diccionario biblico Charles Pfeiffer

Bibles:
La biblia de nuestro pueblo
Escrituras del nombre verdadero
Biblia del peregrino
Texto bizantino interlineal griego espanol

Each file is in Spanish.

You can download these files at
http://www.mediafire.com/?vtcu42izz1i12m7

Thanks for your help.
JG

Post by JG »

These are password protected, but I don't know about the copyright status. Perhaps there is some contact info in the module?
However you might have more success if you post your request in the Spanish forum, perhaps David Cox knows of these resources.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
eliranwong

The most easiest way to use theWord in MAC

Post by eliranwong »

Costas,

I had tried many methods before, e.g. Crossover, your beta mac package, wine, etc. All these not good for Chinese display. I nearly had to give up theWord in MAC. However, I found a new app from apple app store, WinOnX. It give me once again hope, so easy to use, even most Chinese problems solved. Here is what I did:

1) Download "WinOnX" from app store.
2) Download normal the word .exe package from your official website (NO need to use your beta mac package).
3) Open the your .exe package with WinOnX, which automatically create a shortcut in WinOnX

To enable displaying Chinese interface
4) Open "regedit.app" already available in "WinOnX"
5) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/FontSubstitutes
6) create a string, with value name = Tahoma; value data = MingLiU_HKSCS (wah! it makes both simplified and traditional Chinese interface perfect)

To enable individual bible display
7) do it in settings available in theWord program.

Remarks: the ONLY problem left is, I cannot enter Chinese directly into theWord program for searching, but I can paste into it instead.

Peace
Eliran
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thank you Eliran for sharing this
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

Thank you Costas for development the best free bible software.

I am now only looking forward to Revised Chinese Union Version (2011) & Common English Bible (2011), available in theWord, so that I do not need to open Accordance so often in MAC. The view and search function of theWord is better, I think.
Oak

Post by Oak »

Just wanted to post this for everyone's benefit. The XQuartz project http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki is a replacement for Apple's X11 under which theWord for Mac runs. XQuartz is the bleeding edge development version of Apple's X11, that's why both XQuartz and Apple's X11 have the same copy/paste bug (actually its a clipboard syncing issue) that some of us have to deal with when using theWord on our Mac computers.

That said, I filed a bug report about the copy/paste issue almost two months ago. The XQuartz project is now at version 2.7.0 and the issue is slated to be patched by version 2.8.0., which they are hoping to release in 9 months. You can read the report here http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/519#comment:

One work-around you can use until this issue is fixed is to open X11/XQuartz preferences and go to the Pasteboard tab uncheck and then recheck the checkbox "Enable syncing". Doing this procedure fixes the issue until the next time theWord is used.
dixlopez

Post by dixlopez »

Meyer wrote:Books and dictionaries:
Diccionario de hebreo biblico
Comentario del diario vivir
comentario plenitud
Diccionario biblico Charles Pfeiffer

Bibles:
La biblia de nuestro pueblo
Escrituras del nombre verdadero
Biblia del peregrino
Texto bizantino interlineal griego espanol

Each file is in Spanish.

You can download these files at
http://www.mediafire.com/?vtcu42izz1i12m7

Thanks for your help.
Hermano como puedo instalar este paquete. Yo instale TW en mi macbook pero el paquete trae solo tres Biblias en Ingles. Ya descargue este paquete pero no se como instalarlo. Podría ayudarme por favor? Y si tiene otros paquetes en Español se lo agradecería me los compartiera.
Dios te bendiga!