Crossover or Wine with OS X LION

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
core

Crossover or Wine with OS X LION

Post by core »

Hi all,

I've got Lion on my machine now and crossover won't work anymore. I read that you need the version 10.1 of crossover that I don't want to buy again. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cro ... uirements/

Is wine the solution? (talking about the software, not the fruit ;)) - On the website Mac is mentioned, but not listed among the products for which you can download wine: http://www.winehq.org/download/

Your help is much appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Cornelius

PS: Costas, hope you're doing great. A while already since we've talked!!
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Crossover or Wine with OS X LION

Post by csterg »

Hi Cornelius,
I have not tried wine with Lion but i am pretty sure it will work. I am not very sure if some minor tweaking will be required though.
Have you tried the official MAC beta package? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2921
Costas
core

Post by core »

Dear Costas,

you were right! Wine works with LION. :!:
No need of Crossover anymore.

I have been testing it just a few minutes though.
So at first glance no performance issue or anything else.
Otherwise I will let you know.

Thank you for the Link!

In Him,
Core
Rubén Gómez

Post by Rubén Gómez »

Well, I decided to install CrossOver on my Mac running 10.7 (Lion), and it seems to work well on my Mac.

I went to this page and CrossOver installed the latest release version (3.2.1.1167).

Now, since I wanted to install the latest beta, I simply dropped the new exe in the "The Word" folder.

The only problem I've noticed so far (apart from the CM not working) is that setting the font sizes is not possible in Bible View Options because the text size boxes aren't there (unless I am missing something).

To set font smoothing, here is what I did:

Cut and paste the following data into TextEdit

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:00000578
"FontSmoothingOrientation"=dword:00000001
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002
Save the plain text file as "fs_rgb.reg" (without the quotes) and place it in your default folder
(i.e., /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/The Word)

In CrossOver's menu bar, go to Programs --> Run Command…

In the Run Command window, choose your bottle in the Use Bottle pop-up menu
and click the Browse… button below it to browse to the folder where you saved the reg file.

In the Command text box, add "regedit" before the path that will appear there
(e.g., regedit "/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/e-Sword/fs_rgb.reg")

Click the Run button

That will set the registry value found in the reg file.

I hope this helps other Mac users who might want to install the program on their Macs via CrossOver.
Rubén Gómez
pappytim

Post by pappytim »

Costas, Ruben and Core,

I want to thank you guys for having this conversation in this thread. I was trying to figure out where my theWord files were on my Mac drive and you guys led me straight to them.

I just got a new iMac on February 3rd and am still trying to figure out where everything is hidden. I used Windows and Dos all my life and decided to switch to a Mac so I am very new with the Mac file system. I do love this thing though. It is a great machine.

Costas, thanks for making theWord available on the Mac. It is an excellent program.

Thanks again guys,
Tim
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Welcome Tim!
jrjr29

Post by jrjr29 »

Hey I think My TW "Module installer" is Drunk with Excess "Wine" on my Mac... The software install fine on my mack with wine but when im running the application soft ware im just able to select the file and when i click open nothing else is happening and i tried it over and over. so my Mac is Officially drunk with wine... Please helpppp.
pappytim

Post by pappytim »

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would drop in and let you know that theWord runs very well on the new Mac OS Mountain Lion 10.8.

I am using the Apple XQuartz package as X11 no longer is loaded by default in the New OS 10.8.

You can download the XQuartz package from Apple and install it, then install theWord package that Costas made and you are off and running. At least I was.

Thanks again for this wonderful program.

Blessings,
Tim
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Tim this is great info, thank you!
samoinat

Post by samoinat »

Thank you Costas for your amazing software!!!

May the Lord bless you richly, sincerely from Switzerland