Modules- Duplicated "My Subject and Verse Notes" Tabs!

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
chris411nz

Modules- Duplicated "My Subject and Verse Notes" Tabs!

Post by chris411nz »

In the Modules window - I have Subject and Verse Notes Tabs - Duplilcated for some reason. Unsure of the origen of 'where' the notes are in the system (Linux Ubuntu) and why my current version (V3) puts these up? If you can help, please let me know.
See attached Screen clip.

Thanks everyone.
Chris
NZ
Attachments
Screen Clip showing issue.
Screen Clip showing issue.
Theword All Modules Subject and notes prob.png (28.7 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
"Forced to be upright but learning to be real" Wayne Jacobson - The God Journey
JG

Re: Modules- Duplicated "My Subject and Verse Notes" Tabs!

Post by JG »

Chris, did you do two install/upgrades, one as a normal install and the other as a compact install?

You should be able to look at the properties of each of the duplicate modules, to establish it's location.

Let's just see what you find.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
chris411nz

Post by chris411nz »

Hi JG

That is possibly the cause? Here what I see in the file location, thanks for the tip on where to find them ;)

I do see a possible duplicate in a files that have a similar name, could this be the problem?
Re - my.vsls.twm and my.lyts.twm could these be the latest ones and the older ones Subject-notes.gbk.twm and Verse-notes.cmt.twm ???

As it is - I have not made notes etc in the program as I have moved away from The Sword based software to this one for ease of use. Very happy with it.
Attachments
Screen Clip showing Files.png
Screen Clip showing Files.png (137.56 KiB) Viewed 6284 times
JG

Post by JG »

chris411nz wrote:Hi JG

That is possibly the cause? Here what I see in the file location, thanks for the tip on where to find them ;)

I do see a possible duplicate in a files that have a similar name, could this be the problem?
Re - could these be the latest ones and the older ones Subject-notes.gbk.twm and Verse-notes.cmt.twm ???

As it is - I have not made notes etc in the program as I have moved away from The Sword based software to this one for ease of use. Very happy with it.
my.vsls.twm and my.lyts.twm These files are verse lists and layouts, so that is not the issue.

So does the location of the duplicate modules point to the same place?

Also can you post a shot of the "About" dialog, files location tab?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
chris411nz

Post by chris411nz »

Hi again JG

No they don't point to the same location, below is a screen copy showing this, however I'm not sure which to delete!

Thanks
Attachments
My verse notes 1.png
My verse notes 1.png (16.17 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
My subject notes2.png
My subject notes2.png (8.51 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
My Subject notes 1.png
My Subject notes 1.png (9.76 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
JG

Post by JG »

Hi Chris,
I would like to wait for some input from Costas, to understand how this situation is possible. Perhaps it is to do with wine.
Normally you would want to keep the files that are in your \users\chris....... folder, so you should be OK to delete the one in the other location.

@Costas
I don't see how theWord can be installed like this, do you?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
William

Post by William »

I have seen this before: the same file (or same filename) in two locations being loaded.
(I experienced a hair pulling scenario of my own with this issue once)
Chris has one file in AppData and one in Program_Files.
Both will get loaded at program startup.
While both have the same identifier, which in this case is the filename, they will both load with no problem since they have different paths.
They may or may not have different contents, but changing the short title will help keep them straight, which will help when comparing contents and determining whether to delete one, or both, or keep them.
Changing the actual filename can help also, but requires a few more steps than just changing the short title from within theWord. Changing the filename will, of course, allow for both to be stored in the same folder.
This experience will be the same in both Linux & Windows.
Thoughts?
Last edited by William on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have the same thing here with "My verse-notes". I have two tabs with the same name. I'm not sure when I noticed it but it has been this way for a long time. I thought it was something I did while moving files from my PC to the laptop.
I am running Windows 7, 64 bit on my PC and XP Pro on the laptop.
On Win 7 there are 2 file locations: C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Roaming\The Word and C:\ProgramData\The Word\Book The file sizes are different but I have not checked out the content of each file.
I haven't checked the file locations on the laptop. There are duplicate tabs on it as well, but like I said, I copied the files to the laptop.

I am leaving today and will be gone most of the week and no internet access so I probably wont be able to follow this for a few days.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

It's really hard to say how a specific setup came to be.
I don't think there is a lot to be gained by trying to understand this since it can be easily fixed, unless there is a way to reproduce. I am sure of course that if we try we will reproduce it but the effort involved is more than worth, usually,
Costas
chris411nz

Post by chris411nz »

Hi all again.

Coming back to this problem today and making time to fix it! So am I correct that I need to keep the default files in the

C:\users\chris\Application Data\The Word\ folders and
delete the other file,
C:\Program Files\The Word\Subject-notes.gbk.twm ?

Since it appears that data is really stored in the 1st location?

Chris

5Th Nov - removed the file duplicates in the C:\Program Files\The Word\ folder under wine and restarted The Word - no problem and fixed the issue. Please consider this thread Closed from me. Thanks for the help - blessings.