WINE regression in Ubuntu 11.10

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
mathetes

WINE regression in Ubuntu 11.10

Post by mathetes »

After updating my system to the latest Ubuntu version 11.10 I found that theWord does not work with the latest version of WINE. I had to downgrade to version 1.2 to get it to run. The splash screen comes up then it quits after initializing. Re-creating a new WINE profile did not fix it.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: WINE regression in Ubuntu 11.10

Post by csterg »

mathetes wrote:After updating my system to the latest Ubuntu version 11.10 I found that theWord does not work with the latest version of WINE. I had to downgrade to version 1.2 to get it to run. The splash screen comes up then it quits after initializing. Re-creating a new WINE profile did not fix it.
sounds bad. Did you report to wine?
therapon

Post by therapon »

I've only found one "new" issue with TW on Kubuntu 11.10 & Wine 1.3.30: can't use the interface (File/Preferences or the gear icon) to change program settings. All else works as expected except: the long-standing issues of Shift-mouseover for persistent popups and blank taskbar previews. Making a new profile had no effect on ability to set preferences. I did have a couple other Wine applications with issues that a new profile fixed.

therapon
JG

Post by JG »

therapon wrote:I've only found one "new" issue with TW on Kubuntu 11.10 & Wine 1.3.30: can't use the interface (File/Preferences or the gear icon) to change program settings. All else works as expected except: the long-standing issues of Shift-mouseover for persistent popups and blank taskbar previews. Making a new profile had no effect on ability to set preferences. I did have a couple other Wine applications with issues that a new profile fixed.

therapon
This issue with the popup. Have you tried the beta build 1234, for instance, you can in the book views, right mouse click (when the popup appears) and move the mouse into the popup and it should stay open.
In the Bible view you have to get the popup, and then right click and hold down the button and move the mouse over the popup, then without releasing the right button, click with the left button. It is more complex to explain than do to be honest.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

If others aren't having the problem with it crashing I'm not sure what is different with my system that would cause it. At least it works with WINE 1.2 so it's not a major emergency for me.
therapon

Post by therapon »

Jon,

Popup issue has been around a while. I first reported it here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=721 It's a few posts down in the thread. Behavior is still the same; once you do the shift/mouseover the only way to reliably get the popup to stay visible short of restarting the program is to use the shift key every time.

therapon
shane2peru

Post by shane2peru »

This is bad. I too am suffering from the same issue. I created a new wine directory, and re-installed, all to no avail. It doesn't work. I think I ran into this on OpenSuse before, and just thought it was OpenSuse. I'm on Kubuntu 11.10 with Wine1.3. I guess I should regress wine? This is really bad news for me.

Shane

EDIT: Purging Wine 1.3 and installing Wine 1.2 did the trick for me! Glad to have it up and running again. This could get serious if Wine 1.2 disappears!
(John 3:16) Porque de tal manera amó Dios al mundo, que ha dado a su Hijo unigénito, para que todo aquel que en Él cree, no se pierda, mas tenga vida eterna.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

It is now fixed on my system. I was messing around with the themes. It seemed that when I upgraded it changed some of my settings in KDE. So I was resetting them and later noticed that theWord was working again. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it though, because there were various desktop settings that I changed. And I'm not sure why the kde settings would have any effect on theWord.
jminker

Post by jminker »

I also discovered, after numerous attempts, that I had to regress Wine from 1.3 to 1.2.
angelsguitar

Post by angelsguitar »

Installing the most recent Wine from the ppa solved it for me under Ubuntu 11.10. Just use

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
to add the ppa to your repositories list. Then upgrade.