Clipboard Monitor

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
vman

Clipboard Monitor

Post by vman »

Hello

I currently use a MAcbook Pro 15" with Lion. I have Vmware Fusion the very latest version. I installed the Word using Fusion and also a Mac version with wine. I love and program and I was particularly interested in using the clipboard monitor but I cannot get it working. I have tried everything, but no luck. If I copy a word in either MS word, PDF editor, TXT editor or Google chrome, nothing happens. Has anyone else experienced this issue before?
toconvertvid

Re: Clipboard Monitor

Post by toconvertvid »

If I copy a word in either MS word, PDF editor, TXT editor or Google chrome, nothing happens.
The clipboard monitor only works for Scripture references, like Gen 1:1, Matt 1:1, etc.
vman

Post by vman »

Oh okay, I was under the impression from the manual that if you copied a word, as an example, love to the clipboard then the word would actually look that up Have I misunderstood?
vman

Post by vman »

I have just looked at the word manual again and it definetly states that it will look up any references on any text or word copied to the clipboard. This is very confusing.
JG

Post by JG »

Hi,
the extract from the manual is clear surely. http://www.theword.net/manual/clipboard_monitor.htm

Overview

The Clipboard Monitor is a tool in theWord that parses all text in the Windows clipboard in search of Scriptures references. When a reference is found, theWord displays a window on the screen that gives the references and the texts of those references. This is especially useful while reading on the computer. You simply have select and copy a portion of text, and theWord displays all the references and texts so you don't have to turn to each one. Once the Clipboard Monitor window is open, you may also perform additional actions on the parsed references.

However I don't think this feature works except on a Windows OS.
viewtopic.php?p=15457#p15457
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

i am just running it on mine now (win7 64-bit). If i type lu 2:4 it returns the scripture. If I type "lineage" nothing is displayed although that word is in lu 2:4. Am I missing something in this thread?

Darrel
vman

Post by vman »

Exactly my point. I have run the word with wine and mac lion. Everything work with the exception of the clipboard monitor. This isn't that much of an issue as I also have Vmware Fusion running windows 7 64 bit. When using fusion and I type mk 16:16 and copy it to the click board, I receive the pop up with Mark 16:16. If I type believeth which is in verse 16 and copy it to the clipboard nothing happens. Yet the word manual gives examples of this occurring. Well not Mark 16:16 but other examples. So my question again is, am I missing something in this thread as well?

Vincent
JG

Post by JG »

vman wrote:Exactly my point. I have run the word with wine and mac lion. Everything work with the exception of the clipboard monitor. This isn't that much of an issue as I also have Vmware Fusion running windows 7 64 bit. When using fusion and I type mk 16:16 and copy it to the click board, I receive the pop up with Mark 16:16. If I type believeth which is in verse 16 and copy it to the clipboard nothing happens. Yet the word manual gives examples of this occurring. Well not Mark 16:16 but other examples. So my question again is, am I missing something in this thread as well?

Vincent

Please show the examples in the manual so we can get this cleared.

The clipboard monitor looks for scripture references only, in any text that is copied to the clipboard, and outputs the verse in a popup window. That is all it will react to, it does not lookup words at all.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Read what Jon wrote above.

The clipboard monitor looks for Scripture references, that is it looks for Bible books and chapters and verses. When it finds a scripture reference (book/chapter/verse(s)) it displays the Bible text of those verse(s). The clipboard monitor is performing as expected.

It doesn't try to look at every word in the text you copied and try to match them up to every verse in the Bible that has that word, or to other resources that contain the words, or whatever you're expecting it to do. I think that would be a really big mess if it did. :shock:
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
vman

Post by vman »

Hi Jon, Jeff

Thanks for the reply. I am new to this program and it was recommended to me specifically because of the clipboard monitor, so excuse the stupid questions, I am merely trying to come to an understanding of this feature. What was explained to me was if I was reading a document and I came across a word that was of interest to me, I could copy that particular word to the clipboard and "the word" would automatically look it up and match scriptural references to it.

But from what you are saying is this is not possible, I actually have to enter the scriptural ref, example: Isa 6:2

Am I correct?

Vincent
JG

Post by JG »

vman wrote:Hi Jon, Jeff

Thanks for the reply. I am new to this program and it was recommended to me specifically because of the clipboard monitor, so excuse the stupid questions, I am merely trying to come to an understanding of this feature. What was explained to me was if I was reading a document and I came across a word that was of interest to me, I could copy that particular word to the clipboard and "the word" would automatically look it up and match scriptural references to it.

But from what you are saying is this is not possible, I actually have to enter the scriptural ref, example: Isa 6:2

Am I correct?

Vincent
First, Vincent we assure you of help and any questions you need to ask are fine.
Vincent wrote:Exactly my point. I have run the word with wine and mac lion. Everything work with the exception of the clipboard monitor. This isn't that much of an issue as I also have Vmware Fusion running windows 7 64 bit.
So as you have found the CM only works for Windows as you have it, and in the way we have described.

Now what has also been described to you about words and popups is a different feature that only works from within theWord and is not related to the Clipboard Monitor.

You would benefit from reading the manual through (even though an update for all the new features is being prepared) and you might not grasp all the features to start with.
Note that in many areas of the program there are Hints when you hover the mouse over parts of the program and the dialogs.
There is a popup feature that you can set to show dictionary entries when you hover words in the Bible view. See http://www.theword.net/manual/bible_view_options.htm and the "Word Lookup Dictionaries" section.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
vman

Post by vman »

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Vincent