Module Extention..

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
jrjr29

Module Extention..

Post by jrjr29 »

is the Module extension different for mac than it is for pc. because i download some Module frm another website for word and its not installing on my mac.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Module Extention..

Post by csterg »

No, it's not
vman

Post by vman »

Hi

I am using Mountain lion and Xquartz 2.7.4. I run the word perfectly but when I download modules the extensions are all .exe Is there a different library where I can download modules (Bible versions, Dictionaries etc) that I can install into my version of the word running on my Mac? Or is there a procedure to install the .exe files into the word?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Vincent
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

vman wrote:I am using Mountain lion and Xquartz 2.7.4. I run the word perfectly but when I download modules the extensions are all .exe Is there a different library where I can download modules (Bible versions, Dictionaries etc) that I can install into my version of the word running on my Mac? Or is there a procedure to install the .exe files into the word?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Vincent
the ".exe" files are self-extracting versions of the module that will extract to the appropriate directory. You can always extract the module and place it in the appropriate directory manually. Here is a quick "How To" for Windows. You could extract the modules using a Windows system and then copy them to the Mac. Or you can use a similar product and adapt it for the Mac or other OS if you don't have access to a Windows system.

How to Extract Modules From The ".exe" Files
You need a program that can extract compressed files (.zip, .rar. .cab, etc.). I use and recommend 7-Zip - http://www.7-zip.org/ (available for Mac, Linux, and other).
These instructions are based on 7-Zip and are probably similar for other products.
  • Select one or multiple files to extract.
    Right-click on one of the ".exe" files and select 7-Zip -> Extract Here
    7-Zip will extract the file(s). If you extract multiple ".exe" files you will receive a Confirm File Replace prompt. Click Yes to All.
    When 7-Zip has finished extracting the files, you will see two new folders - $PLUGINSDIR and $R9.
    Open $R9 and you will see the extracted modules.

Open theWord.
    Click Help -> About and select the File locations Tab to get the location where the modules are stored on your system.
    Open this location.
    Close the Word.

Copy the modules to the appropriate folder (Bibles usually go in \Bibles, other books usually go in \Books.
    Delete the $PLUGINSDIR and $R9 folders created when you extracted the modules.
    Open theWord and answer the prompts to add the new modules.
All Done. :)
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This is very useful advice. Version 4 of theWord out any day now, includes an integrated function that automatically installs modules, without running the installers,
Costas
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

csterg wrote:This is very useful advice. Version 4 of theWord out any day now, includes an integrated function that automatically installs modules, without running the installers,
Costas
Can't wait to see it, Costas :-)