theWord 4 for MAC

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
csterg
Site Admin

Re: theWord 4 for MAC

Post by csterg »

I suppose it should be installed in Wine, not X11
johnlee

Post by johnlee »

Hi, Costas,

Can you point me to the Wine folder? I don't think I have found it... I found the folder where TheWord locates (in "application support" under Users?), but the Font folder in it only contains alias to the fonts in the Library at root.

Thanks a lot!
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

johnlee wrote:Hi, Costas,

Can you point me to the Wine folder? I don't think I have found it... I found the folder where TheWord locates (in "application support" under Users?), but the Font folder in it only contains alias to the fonts in the Library at root.

Thanks a lot!
John
Try to copy the font files to a folder that theWord sees (e.g. where the modules are).
What are the file extensions of the font files? theWord will load by itself .ttf, .ttc, .fon files
johnlee

Post by johnlee »

Hi, Costas,

Thank you very much! I got the fonts into TheWord.

Now the problem is with Chinese input and interface. I recall seeing somewhere in the forum about loading Chinese interface. I will try to find it. :)
Is the problem with typing Chinese in TW solved? Recall seeing discussions about it but did not find solution there.

Nonetheless, I am very thankful for what you do!

Blessings!
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi John,
to turn the interface to Chinese, go to File->Languages.
About inputing in Chinese: the Bible search has a virtual keyboard.
Elsewhere: i have really no idea to be honest (I wouldn't know how to answer this question even in windows :))
Costas
johnlee

Post by johnlee »

Hi, Costas,

In Windows, since the language feature is integrated with the Windows, inputting Chinese is not a problem. As long as I can type Chinese in Windows, I can also do it with TW. I guess it is a lot harder through WINE...

Chinese interface is still a problem. By changing the display language to Chinese, all characters in the interface turn to squares. It seems that there is something else need to be done. Any quick tips?

Thanks,
John
JG

Post by JG »

You should probably ask at the "Wine" forum how and where to install a font that supports Chinese http://forum.winehq.org/
When you get squares it is because the font is not present. If you get ???? it is because the font does not contain the glyph.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Try this:
open the chineseSimp.lng file (or the chineseTrad.lng file), whichever you use: in the first lines you will see:

Code: Select all

#The _main_ section should be located at the beginning of the file (not below the 20th line)
[_main_]
name=简体中文 (zh_CN)
langid=2052
version=4.0.0.1342-43
#font=Courier New
Remove the # in front of the font line and choose a font that supports Chinese, for example

Code: Select all

font=SimSun
(the SimSun is an example font, make sure you use a name of an existing font in your system)
Costas
johnlee

Post by johnlee »

Costas,

I made the change as you suggested. I also made sure that the font is available in the Font folder of TW, as well as in the Font folder under the "windows" folder of WINE. The fonts in windows/Font are actually alias, so I also make sure that the font exists in the original folder. However, the Chinese interface still does not work (full of 'squares').

I guess I am still confused about is where the font should be. Apparently TW can display the font not in its own font folder. This folder starts with only two fonts in it, for GK and HB, but TW can display many other fonts. If the font needs to be enabled in WINE, then I am not sure I have done what is needed...

Thanks,
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi John,
theWord will load the system fonts PLUS fonts it finds below its folder.
The best way is to make sure the font is installed in the 'system' (this is wine for theWord of course). For example, open theWord and go to a Book view topic and check the list of fonts in the font selector to see what fonts are available there. Pick one of these
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

If that fails, do you have winetricks installed?

If so you can issue the command from a terminal

winetricks fonts gui

this will open a gui that will allow you to install fonts
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

Hi,
I just bought an iMac today :D I have the Word on my Windows 8 but want to be able to use it on my Mac as well.How would I be able to transfer everything over? I've already installed X-Quartz and am downloading the newest version of the program now. However, I have paid modules that I would like to be able to use. Can I still use them on my Mac? Thanks.
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

I am also having trouble opening the Word once it is downloaded in Mac. I have installed X-Quartz and have it running. I then tried to open the Word and an error message popped up and said it could not be open. I right clicked and chose open with, but the X-Quartz was greyed out, like it wouldn't let me choose it as an option. Any ideas? Thanks.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Did you get the MAC package from this site?
Costas
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

Costas,
Yes, I got it from this site. I did figure out how to open and run it. Now, I need to figure out how to transfer my modules, including my paid ones.