theWord 4 for MAC

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
Warty

Re: theWord 4 for MAC

Post by Warty »

Hi, I am reasonably new to the MAC (OSx10.8.4) having been using Windows for many years. Have also been using "theWord" for Windows for a couple of years as well. When I trnsferred to a Mac, a gift from my son-in-law, he installed Parallels (a Windows emulator) on it as well so I could use some of the software that would not run on the MAC. This included "theWord". "theWordf" runs well under Parallel environment, but I would love to run it under OSX. I have just come across this forum and see that there is a version of "theWord" for the MAC. as below :- :D

theWord 4 for MAC
Hi Everyone,
theWord 4 for MAC package is now ready (version 4.0.0.1342).
Please, give it a try, you can download it here:
http://www.theword.net/files/mac/4.0.0.1342/theWord.dmg

If you are running OSX Mountain Lion (e.g. OSX 10.8 and above) you will first need to install XQuartz, which you can download here:
http://www.theword.net/files/mac/4.0.0. ... -2.7.4.dmg

However, if I install XQuartz, as above will this interfere or clash with the Parallel program ? Or would "theWord" for MAC run without XQuartz.

I have no understanding of programming, so would like some advice. I do not want or intend to uninstall the "Parallel" program is it runs other proghrams I need that will not run under OSX.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello and welcome,
XQuartz and Parallels and 2 totally different approaches, they will not interfere with each other,
Costas
Warty

Post by Warty »

Hi Costas

Many thanks for your reply above. Have down loaded and installed both the XQuartz file and the "theWord" dmg file and they both installed without any problems. Was able to install all previously downloaded modules including a paid module. The program appears to be running extremely well and doesn't appear to have the slight glitch that I had running under the Parallel windows emulator on OS X 10.8.4 .

Thanks you for your dedication in both writing and supporting the software. :D

God Bless you.
gch

Post by gch »

When I change the language to Traditional Chinese, words become square boxes. And after I install the bible module 'Chinese Traditional Union', the words in the 'bible view' window become square boxes. How can I solve it? Pls help me. :( :( :(
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

you just don't have the appropriate font.
I suppose you have an older OS and obviously a non-Chinese one.
Tell me:
1. What OS do you have?
2. Where do the square boxes appear? In the Bible view or in the program menus?
Costas
gch

Post by gch »

Hi Costas, my system version is OS X 10.8.5. Pls see the attached screenshots for the square box problem. :( Thanks a lot!
csterg wrote:you just don't have the appropriate font.
I suppose you have an older OS and obviously a non-Chinese one.
Tell me:
1. What OS do you have?
2. Where do the square boxes appear? In the Bible view or in the program menus?
Costas
Attachments
Bible: Chinese Traditional Union
Bible - Chinese Traditional Union.jpg (655.96 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
Language: Traditional Chinese &amp;<br />Bible: Chinese Traditional Union
Language: Traditional Chinese &
Lang - Traditional Chinese & Bible - Chinese Traditional Union.jpg (626.17 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
Language: Traditional Chinese
Language: Traditional Chinese
Lang - Traditional Chinese.jpg (672.73 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
freedlun

Post by freedlun »

I am a new mac user and I really want to theWord up and running. But I cannot seem to figure out how to install modules. Ive search the hard drive and have only found one ref to TheWord under X11. The virtual path in the built in Module installer doesn't find my files. I saw how it would have worked under Wine, but the X11 has me stumped.

I am running OS X 10.8.5

Please help.

Scott
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

gch wrote:Hi Costas, my system version is OS X 10.8.5. Pls see the attached screenshots for the square box problem. :( Thanks a lot!
These are just missing fonts.
Go to File->Preferences->Bibles and select a different font for the Chinese Bibles of yours.
If none works, try to install a new font
Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

freedlun wrote:I am a new mac user and I really want to theWord up and running. But I cannot seem to figure out how to install modules. Ive search the hard drive and have only found one ref to TheWord under X11. The virtual path in the built in Module installer doesn't find my files. I saw how it would have worked under Wine, but the X11 has me stumped.

I am running OS X 10.8.5

Please help.

Scott
Download the module file you want and then go to File->Install modules and drag-n-drop the file there,
Costas
freedlun

Post by freedlun »

csterg wrote:
freedlun wrote:I am a new mac user and I really want to theWord up and running. But I cannot seem to figure out how to install modules. Ive search the hard drive and have only found one ref to TheWord under X11. The virtual path in the built in Module installer doesn't find my files. I saw how it would have worked under Wine, but the X11 has me stumped.

I am running OS X 10.8.5

Please help.

Scott
Download the module file you want and then go to File->Install modules and drag-n-drop the file there,
Costas
Costas, thank you. But it is not working with the *.ont nor *.nt files. Does it only work with the original 'Instal" files? I never use those when installing on a new computer, its so time consuming. I have simply copied my entire directory of Bibles and books and put them right in place. But that was on windows, is that not going to be possible with the Mac?

UPDATE: I just downloaded an *.exe Install module and drag and drop onto the "Instal Module' window doesn't work. I'm dragging from a Finder window directly, but nothing, it just floats back to finder with no effect.

Everything else about TheWord seems to be working.

I'd also like to transfer over my custom Layouts as well. Is there no way to access Wine's virtual directories?

Scott
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

freedlun wrote:
Costas, thank you. But it is not working with the *.ont nor *.nt files. Does it only work with the original 'Instal" files? I never use those when installing on a new computer, its so time consuming. I have simply copied my entire directory of Bibles and books and put them right in place. But that was on windows, is that not going to be possible with the Mac?

UPDATE: I just downloaded an *.exe Install module and drag and drop onto the "Instal Module' window doesn't work. I'm dragging from a Finder window directly, but nothing, it just floats back to finder with no effect.

I'd also like to transfer over my custom Layouts as well. Is there no way to access Wine's virtual directories?

Scott
Don't drag from finder.... it will not work. Use the 'Browse...' button to locate the file instead.
Yes, you can access the Wine's directory and copy the files there directly instead: of course you can do that: it is in your home folder. There are instructions in a previous post on how to do this.
Costas
freedlun

Post by freedlun »

csterg wrote:
freedlun wrote:

Scott
Don't drag from finder.... it will not work. Use the 'Browse...' button to locate the file instead.
Yes, you can access the Wine's directory and copy the files there directly instead: of course you can do that: it is in your home folder. There are instructions in a previous post on how to do this.
Costas
Costas,

Thank you. And I discovered the problem I was facing was that "Library" is a hidden folder, once i discovered that I was able to get it all working.

Thanks for your patience!

Scott
k8plord

Post by k8plord »

I absolutely LOVE the new update! Thank you for the hard work y'all do to keep us in the Word!!! I appreciate it :)
imepv7

Re: theWord 4 for MAC another option

Post by imepv7 »

I understand that Costas is developing a Mac version for TW but just in case you find it tedious to setup your workspaces afresh, redownload all your modules, just try the ff:

1. Create a Portable Windows version on your USB Drive using a Windows PC. If you already have one, wonderful - skip #2-3
2. Put all (copy) the modules from your old TW files (c:\program files\the word\ or somewhere else) in their respective folder i.e. /Books or /Bibles on the USB drive. The goal here is just to create a portable version of TW. Don't forget the "config.ini" file for it contains all the settings/configuration.
3. Try it first to check if its working in Windows.
4. Plug the USB to your Mac.
5. Download and install these apps on your mac:
a) winebottler, go here: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
b) xquartz, go here: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/
Note: May need to restart your machine.

6. Run the Portable TW on your USB like how you do it on your Windows PC. :lol:
--for faster results just copy the whole USB files and folders to your hard drive and run it from there.

Note: Make sure you see the wine glass icon on top of your screen before running TW which ensures that Wine app is running as well. If not manually run Wine.app from the application folder.

Everything works here except Chinese or other non-English letter translations.
Attachments
Sample of my TW Windows version on my MAC (Mavericks)
Sample of my TW Windows version on my MAC (Mavericks)
Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 9.14.47 PM.jpg (248.53 KiB) Viewed 6645 times
Edmund

Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
johnlee

Post by johnlee »

csterg wrote:
gch wrote:Hi Costas, my system version is OS X 10.8.5. Pls see the attached screenshots for the square box problem. :( Thanks a lot!
These are just missing fonts.
Go to File->Preferences->Bibles and select a different font for the Chinese Bibles of yours.
If none works, try to install a new font
Costas
I have the same problem of displaying Chinese characters in TheWord. There are quite a few fonts in the font list of TheWord that are "squared" out. I assume it is also due to missing fonts.I installed a Chinese font in X11, but it does not show in the font list of TheWord. Is there another step that I am missing?

John