theWord 4 for MAC

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
Eric Hou

Re: theWord 4 for MAC

Post by Eric Hou »

Hi,
I just bought a MacBook Pro, and I'm an beginner of MAC. My MacBook Pro is running macOS Sierra, I tried to install theWord by follow the instruction of this post, but it is not work. :?
Can anyone provide an help of instruction on how to install theWord on macOS Sierra based system step by step? Thanks!
RLW3

Post by RLW3 »

I just got theWord working in El Capitan! I used Costas's link under "Update for Yosemite" and downloaded MyCoolWrapper. I then opened it and clicked the "Install .exe" button and selected theWord.exe file in my Downloads folder. Fortunately, I had previously made a copy of theWord folder from my Snow Leopard installation into my Home folder. I then copied all of my Bibles and modules from the SL folder into the appropriate folders in Users/Home/Library/Application Support/Wine/prefixes/theWord/drive_c/Program Files/theWord. I then quit MyCool Wrapper, reopened it, clicked the "Install .exe" button and selected theWord.exe file and I am up and running! Hope this helps someone.
bamazav

Post by bamazav »

I was able to get TheWord to work on High Sierra. I downloaded Winebottler, caution firewalls and AV probably won't like the website, but I took a chance. I love living on the edge. haha Anyway, installed winebottler normally and then installed TheWord. When you get to the final window of theword installation, uncheck the "run TheWord" box and then click finish. If you do not uncheck this box, it will hang up and not finish.

I have noticed that you can not use the built in module installer, as it locks the screen up. I just download modules from the web and use the install modules command found under "file." I also increased the font size everywhere I could. Fonts actually look better on the mac than on my linux machine at the office. Still testing, but after 24 hours, things seem to be working well.

Winebottler is found here http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
Warty

Post by Warty »

Hi Is there any intention to release a 64bit version of TheWord for Mac OS Catalina? I have been using Word 4 running under xQuartz for several years but want to upgrade to Catalina, but still want/need to continue using TheWord.
bamazav

Post by bamazav »

I have successfully reloaded theWord onto my Mac using Mac os Catalina by first loading Codeweavers Crossover. There is a free trial you can download to test with and then if you like you can purchase the app. It is currently on sale, was worth the $26 to have my favorite Bible app back.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

This may be interesting
https://www.codeweavers.com/products/mo ... /changelog

19.0.1 CrossOver - January 14, 2020
Core Technology Improvements:
Recently updated Microsoft Office installers broke installs; this is now fixed.
.NET now passes the verifier test in 64 bit bottles.
Corrected a build issue with FAudio. This eliminates a warning, and may help some games.
macOS:
Added a utility to repair bottles if an anti virus program has damaged them.
In 19.0.0, on versions of macOS prior to 10.13, applications that relied on gnutls would fail. Notably, that included .NET. That should now be fixed.
19.0.0 CrossOver - December 10, 2019
macOS:
CrossOver will now run 32 bit applications on macOS Catalina (10.15).
Core Technology Improvements:
CrossOver 19 includes Wine 4.12-1, with 5,000 improvements, and selected patches from recent Wine with benefits to particular applications such as Microsoft Office.
An update to FAudio 19.10 with many audio improvements.
CrossOver now uses Python3.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
Mike Otieno

Post by Mike Otieno »

Hi.
Is this version still working on Mac?
I have been trying it without success.
the .dmg version installs, after i try opening it, it shows "Launching 'theWord'" then it doesnt open eventually. May mac version is Mojave 10.14.6
The second version that uses XQuartz doesnt work either on my mac despite having upgraded the XQuartz. The application shows that its open, but i cannot view it. While trying to quit the application it doesnt close. Until i 'force quit' the application.

Any help will be much appreciated.

csterg wrote:Hi Everyone,
theWord 4 for MAC package is now ready (version 4.0.0.1342).
Please, give it a try, you can download it here:
http://www.theword.net/files/mac/4.0.0.1342/theWord.dmg

If you are running OSX Mountain Lion (e.g. OSX 10.8 and above) you will first need to install XQuartz, which you can download here:
http://www.theword.net/files/mac/4.0.0. ... -2.7.4.dmg

This new MAC package should upgrade previous theWord installations and keep existing settings. The previous theWord MAC module installer has been removed: the new way to install modules in MAC is by using the integrated module installer of theWord (menu File-Install Modules).

Please, give some feedback. New pages will be created at the site with instructions and screenshots,
Costas

Update for Yosemite
The above installer will not work on Yosemite. A user has contributed a custom-build package that can be downloaded here. This has not been tested, and it's not an official build; yet it has been verified to work on yosemite.
Mike Otieno

Post by Mike Otieno »

Screenshot 2020-05-26 18.04.05.png
Screenshot 2020-05-26 18.04.05.png (32.86 KiB) Viewed 6977 times
Hi Costas

I have a similar problem as the one you responded to here. I have followed the steps you prescribed. But i still cant get the application running.
After the steps, the launching screen show continuously without disappearing. Seems like progress but still cant launch the application
Screenshot 2020-05-26 18.04.05.png
Screenshot 2020-05-26 18.04.05.png (32.86 KiB) Viewed 6977 times

csterg wrote:You can delete theWord from your MAC by deleting from Finder:
1. theWord application: Click on 'Applications' and then drag 'theWord.app' on the bin
2. theWord Wine prefix from your home directory: Click on your 'Name' on finder (the one with the 'Home' icon) and then on the right, Click on 'Library'->'Application Support'->'Wine'->'prefixes' and delete the folder 'theWord'.

NOTE: for the second operation, if you are using the latest version of OSX (10.8+), then the folder 'Library' will not be visible when you click on your 'Home' folder! (Apple hide it from casual users). Don't worry, there is a trick: once you click on the 'Home' icon, go to the menu and select 'Go'->'Go to Folder', in the dialog type 'Library' and click on 'Go', that's it. Now you are in the 'Library' folder and from there on you can navigate with your mouse

Costas

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

My Mac won't even allow me to install The Word (although I already downloaded the Quartz) because it's from an unidentified developer. The settings in Preferences don't allow downloads and installs from unidentified developers. What's the work-around for this? Please help! I'm really looking forward to having The Word on my computer. Thank you for your suggestions.
magnusfalkirk

Post by magnusfalkirk »

"My Mac won't even allow me to install The Word (although I already downloaded the Quartz) because it's from an unidentified developer. The settings in Preferences don't allow downloads and installs from unidentified developers. What's the work-around for this? Please help! I'm really looking forward to having The Word on my computer. Thank you for your suggestions."

To have your Mac allow you to install the Word go to System Preferences and then select Security & Privacy. At the bottom of that page you'll see "TheWORD" was blocked from use because it is not from an identified developer. To the right of that is a button that says "Open Anyway". At that point you'll be able to install TheWORD.

magnus
magnusfalkirk

Post by magnusfalkirk »

"My Mac won't even allow me to install The Word (although I already downloaded the Quartz) because it's from an unidentified developer. The settings in Preferences don't allow downloads and installs from unidentified developers. What's the work-around for this? Please help! I'm really looking forward to having The Word on my computer. Thank you for your suggestions."

To have your Mac allow you to install the Word go to System Preferences and then select Security & Privacy. At the bottom of that page you'll see "TheWORD" was blocked from use because it is not from an identified developer. To the right of that is a button that says "Open Anyway". At that point you'll be able to install TheWORD.

magnus
magnusfalkirk

Post by magnusfalkirk »

"[email protected] Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:30 pm
My Mac won't even allow me to install The Word (although I already downloaded the Quartz) because it's from an unidentified developer. The settings in Preferences don't allow downloads and installs from unidentified developers. What's the work-around for this? Please help! I'm really looking forward to having The Word on my computer. Thank you for your suggestions."

To get your Mac to let you install TheWORD got to the System Preferences and select Security & Privacy, At the bottom pf that page you'll see ' "TheWORD" was blocked from use because it is not from an identified developer.' To the right of that you'll see a button that says "Open Anyway". Press that button and you'll get a warning that says "macOS cannot verify the developer of "TheWORD". Are you sure you want to open it? Then more text following that. Finally at the bottom you'll have three choices "Open", "Move to Trash", "Cancel". To go ahead and install it you'll need to click "Open".

I just tried that and got another error message: "ERROR! Error! cannot write to info.plist, there are permission problems or you are on a read-only volume. This cannot run from within a read-only dmg file."

magnus
Thirdy

Post by Thirdy »

This is my first time to visit this forum.
And just like anybody else here wants to install TheWord software on Mac.

My Mac is running on Catalina and tried to install through WineBottler but to no avail.

However, I found this video using WineSkin and it works like magic. Praise GOD!

Try to follow his video and you will be fine.
Thirdy

Post by Thirdy »

I also have the same problem running TheWord on Mac.

However, i found this YouTube video and it works like magic for me. Praise GOD!
Warty

Post by Warty »

Have just installed Big Sur 11.5.2 on my Mac. Is there a way to run The Word 4 for MAC on this 64bit OS System? I have Quartz installed. Been using The Word on a 32bit OS for some years without a problem.