iBibleStudy HD - TheWord for iPad - 5 unique features

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
eliranwong

iBibleStudy HD - TheWord for iPad - 5 unique features

Post by eliranwong »

I am grateful to Samy for developing a great app for using theWord modules in iPad. I found some of its features unique among the bible apps available in iPad. I would like to share five of them below:
Last edited by eliranwong on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
eliranwong

Re: iBibleStudy HD - TheWord for iPad - 5 unique features

Post by eliranwong »

Unique feature (1): It support user-created modules. User can put all their favorites within one app, without need of frequent switch between different apps.
Attachments
photo 3.PNG
photo 3.PNG (92.8 KiB) Viewed 10877 times
photo 2.PNG
photo 2.PNG (98.25 KiB) Viewed 10877 times
photo 1.PNG
photo 1.PNG (104.97 KiB) Viewed 10877 times
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

users can create bible modules with texts they own, of course, for personal use and not for distribution.
Attachments
photo 5.PNG
photo 5.PNG (98.57 KiB) Viewed 10876 times
photo 4.PNG
photo 4.PNG (99.58 KiB) Viewed 10876 times
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

Unique Feature (2): Excellent search for Asian characters. Seldom iPad can do search for Asian texts well. Even e_sword HD (updated version publish yesterday) needs to do "partial search" in order to search for Chinese characters. iBibleStudy HD, like desktop theWord, searches Chinese modules in normal way as searching English modules, with excellence.
Attachments
photo.PNG
photo.PNG (375.69 KiB) Viewed 10875 times
Last edited by eliranwong on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

Unique Feature (3): Two separate view settings in portrait and landscape modes. Many bible apps have a double panel, but what makes iBibleStudy HD unique is it allows different view settings in two different orientation. I make use of this character to do 2 things:
1) I hide the commentary panel in portrait mode and show it in landscape mode. I can use full screen to read bible for most of the time. And I just need to simply change the orientation to landscape mode to read commentary, without further touch.
2) sometimes, I set full screen view for bible in portrait mode, and full screen view of commentary in landscape mode, so I can read both in full screen, without further settings.
Attachments
photo 1.PNG
photo 1.PNG (411.67 KiB) Viewed 10873 times
photo 2.PNG
photo 2.PNG (171.71 KiB) Viewed 10873 times
Last edited by eliranwong on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

Unique Feature (4): Cross-reference PLUS viewing different passages of the same bible version. With bible tab turned on in both panels, user can read two different passages of the same bible version. This feature is especially useful, using together with the cross-reference feature available in the app. I found it great for studying the use of OT quotation by NT author. From the image I attached here, you may use the left panel reading Mat 2:6, with cross-reference popup screen open. When I click the "open" button in cross-reference popup, the right panel immediately jump to Micah 5:2. Users can use this features to study context of both portion of scripture without switching fro and back.
Attachments
photo(1).PNG
photo(1).PNG (470.32 KiB) Viewed 10872 times
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

Unique Feature (5): "Inline Verses"

Wah! this feature save users lots of time, and let users concentrate on what they are reading. The app detects verse reference links automatically within commentary and dictionary tabs. You can show or hide the bible verses with the default bible modules, assigned by user.
Attachments
photo 1(1).PNG
photo 1(1).PNG (411.58 KiB) Viewed 10871 times
photo 2(1).PNG
photo 2(1).PNG (419.15 KiB) Viewed 10871 times
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

Looking forward to features in future release:

1) Entry field for user to key in verse reference directly for navigation
2) Search for multiple verses simultaneously, like accordance bible app. iBibleStudy HD do have such potential, because the "inline verses" function already doing these kind of thing, one further step needed is an entry field to capture the multiple verses.
3) Chinese verse reference to make more Chinese reading people benefit from the app.
4) An "Compare tab" for synchronizing and comparison of different bible versions, like desktop theWord app. Ideally, on two different levels, chapters and individual verses, like desktop theWord app.
5) A NT button in navigation view, so user don't need to scroll down all the way to locate a NT book.
6) Paragraphs of bible modules properly displayed. Currently, the app set a default for paragraphs displayed, which is "default 2" of theWord desktop app. It over-ride all built-in paragraph codes of bible modules themselves.
Last edited by eliranwong on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

Remarks:

if you find your strongs modules not working in iBibleStudy HD, add the following at the end of the bible modules to make it work in iBibleStudy HD:

verse.rule="((?:^|.+?)(<W[GH]\d+>\ ?)+)" "<wt>$1"
verse.rule="<wt>(.*?)(<W([HG]\d+)>)(<W([HG]\d+)>)?(<W([HG]\d+)>)?" "<wt><a href=_STRONG_$3|_STRONG2_$5|_STRONG3_$7|_NOLINK_>$1</a>$2$4$6"
keywords=Strongs
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

So excited that an update is coming soon.

Thanks Samy for great work, looking forward to the newer version to be approved.

http://www.holybibleanswer.com/change-logs:

Change Logs

( Pending Approval, 19 Mar 2012 ) iBible-Study HD Version 1.2.0

New Features:

Add a text field to write the verse references in verse selection popover
Add buttons to define the search scope for New Testament / Old Testament/ Current book
Improve Inline Verses
Add more language support for the Bible book names (Settings App)
Bug fixes:

Some Greek/Hebrew text not displaying properly
Issue while installing zip modules
Dictionary words not appearing with partial matches
Change default Bible paragraphs
Other minor issues
engellion

Post by engellion »

Hi.

I am not sure, but I could not see a way to display or import "Generic Books". Is this a current feature? If not, when will there be support for User Created Book Modules (Generic Books) such as "My Subject Notes", etc?

Blessings,
Paul.
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

Current version doesn't read "Generic Books".
For the time being, I converted my notes into dictionary and commentary to be read in the app.

I am not sure whether Samy will work on it or not in future versions.

Eliran
isjacob

Post by isjacob »

Thanks Eliran. Do you know whether it works with paid TW modules though?
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

at this moment, the app cannot read encrypted modules. I am not sure if Costas and Samy would work together for it. I cannot speak for them.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Just wanted to say that this is not just a technical issue, but a more complex enough; it has to do with copyright.
iBibleStudy is a separate application and as such, the owner needs to negotiate permissions with the copyright holders himself.
It is irrelevant if we agree or not the 2 of us,
Costas