The Word on Linux Mint 15 / Wndows 7 dual-boot system

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
NorrinRadd

The Word on Linux Mint 15 / Wndows 7 dual-boot system

Post by NorrinRadd »

Ok, pretty much of a noob at Linux...

I have 64-bit Windows 7 installed on a Toshiba laptop. I have 64-bit Linux Mint 15 installed also, along with whatever boot manager it installs. "The Word" is installed in Windows. I was hoping to be able to run it from Linux without having to make a separate installation. Is that possible? I tried navigating to the .exe file and choosing "Open with WINE loader" (I'm not sure of the exact wording). It started to open just like it would under Windows, but then froze, with a blue square in the middle of the screen. I could not close The Word. I could "move" it to another "workspace," but the blue box remained. Not knowing how to find a Linux equivalent of Task Manager, I had to reboot the system.

Bottom line questions --

How do I get The Word to run?

How do I terminate it if it freezes?
csterg
Site Admin

Re: The Word on Linux Mint 15 / Wndows 7 dual-boot system

Post by csterg »

I think you need to kill the wine process in linux (ps -ef | grep wine), then "kill -9" the process id.

If i were you:
i would create 2 separate installation and have them share the modules
Costas
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

csterg wrote:I think you need to kill the wine process in linux (ps -ef | grep wine), then "kill -9" the process id.

If i were you:
i would create 2 separate installation and have them share the modules
Costas
Ok... So figure out how to install the program itself under WINE, then point it to the Windows location for the modules. Ok, I can try that.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Installing any program under wine is usually very easy: you just fire the program's installer with wine.
Costas
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

If you install the program using the portable method on the Windows partition then all you should have to do in Linux is mount the partition and create a shortcut to execute the program using wine. It wouldn't matter which operating system you're running then as long as it's using the portable method with no registry entries being made.
NorrinRadd

Post by NorrinRadd »

Thanks for the help. It's installed and seems to be running. I installed it before reading the reply from Mathetes, so it's installed using the "normal" method.

New question: Is there a way to make it a full-screen window instead of a smallish floating window? I'm trying to make sense of all the arcana at WINE HQ, but it apparently isn't getting through. I tried the "Emulate Virtual Desktop" setting, but it had no effect.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I have a question on creating the shortcut. I can create the shortcut from the windows installation of TW, move it to my Linux desktop, open it with Wine Windows Program Loader, and it never "sees" any of my installed modules. How can I execute the shortcut under Linux and have it tell Linux where my modules are installed? Yes - this is an extreme Linux "newbie" question!