Open Bibles for Android

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
rhb

Open Bibles for Android

Post by rhb »

I installed the Open Bibles app on my Android phone. It uses TheWord modules, but at the moment seems to be limited to UTF-8 files only. I tried the WEB bible from here on it, and it seems to work except for the curly quotes characters. The King James bible from here works as far as I have tested it. I see the website, https://openbibles.wordpress.com/ , has not been updated since 2011 although the app is now dated 2014.

There are source files available for some version of the app, but they don't look like a complete repository to me. I wondered if it would be worthwhile for forum members to investigate further development with the idea of making the app more file compatible, or possibly converting TheWord files to UTF-8 to use with it.

I would expect Costas not to get involved with this beyond giving general suggestions and perhaps sharing contact info.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Open Bibles for Android

Post by csterg »

You can just convert a non-UTF8 file to UTF8 with any editor (e.g. notepad++). The non-unicode files have a 'charset=n' property at the end that denotes the charset (encoding) of the file: you can use this to know how to convert with the editor.
Costas
sunil.vempati

Request for app

Post by sunil.vempati »

Sir my name is sunil, i am a student, sir my request is i am using a windows phone 8.1, sir can you kindly create the Word app for windows phone 8.1 please
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Sunil,
unfortunately there are no current plans for such a re-write,
Kind greetings,
Costas
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

csterg wrote:You can just convert a non-UTF8 file to UTF8 with any editor (e.g. notepad++). The non-unicode files have a 'charset=n' property at the end that denotes the charset (encoding) of the file: you can use this to know how to convert with the editor.
Costas
Hi Costas.
It had been a long while since our last chat, well, in looking for an app like theword for Android I found Mybible. It uses sqlite as theword and is a pretty neat app.

Best regards my brother.
Manuel.
Awaiting the return of the Lord (The Glorious rapture of the Church)...

http://jesus-christ-is-coming.blogspot.com/
http://www.cristo-viene.cl
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Great, thanks for sharing!
desilva

Post by desilva »

In the past, I successfully used my note module from theWord in MySwod. I would now like to get my theWord modules into the android app MyBible. If anyone knows how to convert them please tell me. I am clueless about these matters. Thanks.