TheWord and Linux

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
benjieg

Re: TheWord and Linux

Post by benjieg »

Hi,

Thank you very much for this excellent program. Been using it in Windows 7 and now am using Linux Mint 10. TheWord runs very well. I am dual booting Windows 7 and Linux Mint 10. I did not re-install TheWord but ran the installed program (previously installed under Windows 7) using Wine. Works very well!

-- Benjie
crypkema

Post by crypkema »

I'm using theWord, version 3.2.0.1102 with Linux Mint 9 KDE. No problems other than getting better fonts. I used the tip from mathetes below, and it has helped a lot.
God bless!
Chris
chris411nz

Post by chris411nz »

Hi All Open source users

I'm happy to say I got "theWord" running with a few tweaks in Wine 1.2.2 (settings used Windowz Xp version) and running Linux Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat.
Great program for me and happy to move away from the hassles of Esword.

Cheers
Chris
"Forced to be upright but learning to be real" Wayne Jacobson - The God Journey
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

kijanina wrote:What is the best linux distribution for an older computer?
What will matter the most is not so much the distribution which is used but the Window Manager which is used. I use kubuntu on an older computer and it does ok for basic stuff. If you want to make it as fast as possible you'll want to remove the kde window manager and install something like icewm. It won't be as pretty or have all the bells & whistles but it may make an older computer usable. I doubt you'll want to run TheWord on it though. Having to use WINE to run TheWord will probably be too slow. It would be better to run Xiphos as a Bible program on it.
kjsphoto

Post by kjsphoto »

What version of Wine are you using because I cannot get it to work. The screen comes up with theWord and after it says it initialized it closes down. What am I missing?

Help please!

Thanks.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

What version of Wine are you using because I cannot get it to work. The screen comes up with theWord and after it says it initialized it closes down. What am I missing?
Check this topic: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3530

I had the exact same problem after upgrading to ubuntu 11.10. It seems there were some changes made to how gtk applications are made to look like kde applications. Downgrading to wine 1.2 worked. I eventually fixed the problem by changing the KDE themes but I am not sure exactly what I changed that fixed it.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

If you're using ubuntu use this command from the console to add the latest version of wine to your package manager: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

Or see here for other downloads: http://www.winehq.org/download/

See if installing the latest official version helps.
angelsguitar

Post by angelsguitar »

mathetes wrote:If you're using ubuntu use this command from the console to add the latest version of wine to your package manager: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

Or see here for other downloads: http://www.winehq.org/download/

See if installing the latest official version helps.
Thanks. I had the same problem under Ubuntu 11.10 (TheWord closing down after initializing). Installing the latest version of Wine solved it. :D
crypkema

Post by crypkema »

Which version of Wine worked?

I could get The Word to work just fine using Wine 1.2.2. However, I "upgraded" to the latest distribution of openSUSE and it only installs 1.3 or 1.3.5. Neither seems to to more than begin to initialize, then crash, leaving the program in memory.

Chris
crypkema

Post by crypkema »

Okay, I stumbled upon a fix. I had created a separate application setting in Wine Configuration for The Word. I tried on a previous version of Wine to use WinME and Win98, and that had worked at the time...but didn't with the newest version of Wine.

Out of desperation, I started with the top of the list of windows versions and Windows 7 and above works perfectly!

Chris
tmmjohnson

Post by tmmjohnson »

Hi,

New here but just thought that i would let you all know. I have theWord running on three linux machines, Ubuntu 11:10 32 bit, Kubuntu 11:10 32 bid, and Fedora 16 64 bit. Fedora ran fine, the .deb machines needed the Wine package upgraded to the one from wine. It has run super stable. Only negative is I haven't been able to get the automatic copy / past dialog to pop up. I have to copy and the paste, but that work fine....

Love it. Highly reccommend it.

tmmjohnson
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thank you!
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

This is awesome. I'm on ubuntu 12.04 with a lxde shell, and TW is running very nicely, even with font smoothing. It's like having an old friend back.

I don't suppose there's any way to get the clipboard monitor working? That is one convenient tool that I hate to lose.
zah

Post by zah »

Hello everyone!

TheWord software work very well unde Ubuntu Linux (I use Ubuntu 12.04).
All you need to do is to install on Ubuntu an emulator like Wine.
After that just double click on the „theWord” software and it will work.
I even created some tutorials for „theWord” under Ubuntu.

This is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeBXJCgIAmY&feature=plcp
Unfortunately the movie is low on sound.

All the best!
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This looks very nice, but the sound is REALLY low, almost impossible to hear. Do you think you can improve it?