Footnotes and Versenotes

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
sowerofseeds

Footnotes and Versenotes

Post by sowerofseeds »

Any help will be greatly apprecitated.

How can I compile all the various verse and foot notes I have made in TW3 over the past year and a half into a commentary module?
I would like to better organize my notes and comments for study.

humbly,
Pat
I seek the abundant life- Jesus Christ front and center
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 10:10 "... that they might have [it] more abundantly"
preahkumpii

Post by preahkumpii »

Hey Pat,

I just all depends on what you have. First, what version did you use to make your notes? If in v.2, or early beta v.3, you will need to update TW to the final v.3, which is out now, and convert the personal notes from v.2 in by using the File->Import personal notes. This converts personal notes from v.2 into a user module (which in reality is no different than any other module, except it is editable). Once this is done, you can manipulate it in any way you wish. You can make dictionaries, commentaries, regular books, etc. The info you have is really the determining factor as to which way you do it.
Adam
sowerofseeds

Post by sowerofseeds »

preahkumpii wrote:Hey Pat,

I just all depends on what you have. First, what version did you use to make your notes? If in v.2, or early beta v.3, you will need to update TW to the final v.3, which is out now, and convert the personal notes from v.2 in by using the File->Import personal notes. This converts personal notes from v.2 into a user module (which in reality is no different than any other module, except it is editable). Once this is done, you can manipulate it in any way you wish. You can make dictionaries, commentaries, regular books, etc. The info you have is really the determining factor as to which way you do it.
Thanks for the comment Preahkumpii,
I have downloaded and installed the latest TW3. The help I am looking for is how to copy into one, different place all the various verse notes that I currently access by opening a bible chapter and selecting a particular verse. I am hoping to build a separate commentary module that contains all my notes, allowing me to print, for example, all my notes on Chapter 20 of Leviticus and so on.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
preahkumpii

Post by preahkumpii »

Hello again Pat,

It sounds like you have a 'commentary' module, in which you have notes for chapters, verses, or ranges of verses. Is this right? I am not sure if there is a way to do it automatically. The modules are sqlite3 files, which is basically a database. They can be manipulated easily, if you know how to do it. I don't know how. If it was my commentary, I would do it manually from within TW, seeing I would only need to do it once. This does, however, involve creating the topics and copying and pasting manually, which takes time. There may, however, be a way to do it more automatically by editing the module file in an sqlite3 editor. We will have to wait to see if Costas knows an easier way.

EDIT: If there is just no way to do it automatically, and you have a lot of notes, I may be able to do it for you quickly. I have found a way that works for me and is pretty fast.
Adam
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Only with direct manipulation of the sqlite file with an sql editor; there is no other fast and easy way,
Costas
sowerofseeds

Post by sowerofseeds »

Adam,
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if, as with the importer tool, one can convert the TW3 footnotes file into an rtf file readable by a word processor.
preahkumpii

Post by preahkumpii »

I am a little unclear about what you are asking. Maybe I will show my ignorance, but I was not aware that a user could make footnotes (as in those toggled by pressing F in the Bible View). If you are only referring to the footnotes that come with a Bible module, like the KJV for instance, those footnotes are embedded in the Bible module. I don't think there is any way to import those. Again, I could be corrected by Costas, but I am pretty sure that this is correct.
Adam
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello sowerofseeds,
I suppose you are referring to the module named 'Foot-notes' on a book view.
There is no export function, although you can convert the actual module to rtf.
What do you have in mind? How would that help your cause?

Costas
sowerofseeds

Post by sowerofseeds »

csterg wrote:Hello sowerofseeds,

Costas
Thanks Costas,
I am wandering in the dark here.
If I convert to rtf, how would I save the file for use in a word processor? I use Microsoft One Note to prepare for the bible studies I teach. This allows me to put all the information, notes, pictures, web sites into one program which I can then project on to a screen for class viewing and I also will print handouts.

I use TW3 for study and commentary ( a most excellent resource ) yet I need to prepare class notes, etc. outside of TW3.

humbly,

Pat
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Pat,
I can only make some suggestions, so here they are:
1. To transfer content from TW to OneNote the easiest way is probably with copy-paste. All formatting should remain as is. I suppose that you would want to transfer notes one-by-one, so this is the best way.
2. Others use TW itself for preparing this. For sure OneNote is better and more advanced for such a task, yet you may find TW easier to work with and simpler. But if it does not meet your requirements, you should not use it.

I suppose you use ver.3, correct?
Costas
sowerofseeds

Post by sowerofseeds »

csterg wrote:Hi Pat,

2. Others use TW itself for preparing this. For sure OneNote is better and more advanced for such a task, yet you may find TW easier to work with and simpler. But if it does not meet your requirements, you should not use it.

Costas
Hi Costas,

I do like using TW ver 3 to prepare and perhaps I am not taking advantage of all that you have provided. How can I prepare footnotes and subject-notes and then print them as needed? I would prefer to print all of a chapter at one time for the class I teach. Must I cut and paste each 'note' separately into OneNote in order to get a Chapter full of comments on one page?

Pat
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

sowerofseeds wrote:
csterg wrote:Hello sowerofseeds,

Costas
Thanks Costas,
I am wandering in the dark here.
If I convert to rtf, how would I save the file for use in a word processor? I use Microsoft One Note to prepare for the bible studies I teach. This allows me to put all the information, notes, pictures, web sites into one program which I can then project on to a screen for class viewing and I also will print handouts.

I use TW3 for study and commentary ( a most excellent resource ) yet I need to prepare class notes, etc. outside of TW3.

humbly,

Pat
MS Office can open an RTF file, no problem. You can then save it from there to a .DOC file (MS Word document).

If you don't have MS Office, I am not positive, but I believe that WordPad (if you're running Windows XP or better (a subjective term), then I think WordPad will open it up as well.
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

sowerofseeds wrote:

Costas
Hi Costas,

I do like using TW ver 3 to prepare and perhaps I am not taking advantage of all that you have provided. How can I prepare footnotes and subject-notes and then print them as needed? I would prefer to print all of a chapter at one time for the class I teach. Must I cut and paste each 'note' separately into OneNote in order to get a Chapter full of comments on one page?

Pat
If it's "OneNote", then how will you get more than one in there? :)

Just kidding! :) I'm not familiar with that one. Just thought I'd see if you're awake. :)
sowerofseeds

Post by sowerofseeds »

PastorDave wrote:
sowerofseeds wrote:

Pat

Just kidding! :) I'm not familiar with that one. Just thought I'd see if you're awake. :)
Thanks for checking, Pastor Dave. This is the day the Lord has made and I AM rejoicing in it!

Back to topic- can you suggest a method for me to compile notes to print a hand out for the class?
:wink:
PastorDave

Post by PastorDave »

sowerofseeds wrote:
PastorDave wrote:
sowerofseeds wrote:

Pat

Thanks for checking, Pastor Dave. This is the day the Lord has made and I AM rejoicing in it!

Back to topic- can you suggest a method for me to compile notes to print a hand out for the class?
:wink:
You said that you can convert to RTF, right?

If that is correct, do you have MS Word?

If so, just open the file and then go up to the FILE menu at the top, choose "SAVE AS" and then when the box comes up, browse to where you want to save the file (which folder) and then at the bottom of that box that popped up, there is a little "down arrow" and you can click it and choose to save it as a "Word Document" file and then you'll have a file that is in MS Word format and you should be able to do whatever you want with it from there.

Set your page breaks appropriately, by going through the document, page by page and making sure that each page starts and ends where you want it to, change the font to whatever you want it to be, save the document again (just go to FILE >> SAVE this time, instead of "SAVE AS") and then just print it out ad you will also have it for the future, in a ready to print format! :)

If you do not have MS Word, then let me know and tell me what you do have for a word procssr and we can go from there. :)