Text to Speech

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
Opv

Text to Speech

Post by Opv »

Has anyone run across a decent text reader that is compatible with TW to convert text to speech?
Marvout

Re: Text to Speech

Post by Marvout »

Look for apps like ReadPlease or Dspeech. They all require cut/paste to work, but I think Dspeech can be set up to monitor the clipboard and will start saying anything that is copied.

I find this quite useful. Gets me out of my chair. I can clip some section, get the computer to read it to my while I absentmindedly work on cleaning up my room.

DSpeech is quite powerful. Right click on the main text area and you can see a myriad of commands. You can even use this to create MP3s from text.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

I have been using TextAloudMP3 for years both to Read my clipboard contents, read webpages in the web browser, and mostly to just convert Text files like Books into Audio. I have listened to alot of old material from the 1800s this way.

It will use any SAPI voices you buy or find for free.

Find it here: http://nextup.com/

My only wish is somehow to have "The Word" to have a built-in SAPI Reader to use any SAPI voices already installed.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

since i can't evaluate the usefulness of this, how different would that be from just copying/paste and have another program read some text?
Costas
Opv

Post by Opv »

csterg wrote:since i can't evaluate the usefulness of this, how different would that be from just copying/paste and have another program read some text?
Costas
Hmmm. Not sure it would be worth the effort to copy and paste. I really wasn't thinking about (or suggesting) a change to theWord when I posted my original message but, rather, just curious as to whether there is already another application that could read the text currently displayed in theWord.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Copying & pasting wouldn't be useful as a reader program. If it was built in then a person could select a start chapter:verse and end chapter:verse and have the program read it aloud. This would be useful for those with poorer eyesight or those who just would rather relax and listen to it.
peter

Post by peter »

The only thing I could think that would make it better than simply copy and pasting is if it highlighted the each word as it read like Text Aloud Mp3 can do inside of webpages. It makes it a little easier to follow along... but I suppose you could always just paste it into text-aloud-mp3 too...

What I think would be cool, would be to integrate with a real audio bible... Check out this website:
http://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/amba ... e-download

They have free audio bibles that are even dramatized... I saw someone the other day that had a phone app that was linked to these audio bibles and it scrolled the text for you as you listened.

Nevertheless, I guess it would be a whole lot different than hitting play on windows media player... :)
willbmi

Post by willbmi »

deleted by wbmi