Cross Reference Pop Ups

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
Chirpz

Cross Reference Pop Ups

Post by Chirpz »

Is there a way to TURN OFF the automatic pop up feature for cross references?
I really like the cross references but I wish they would only pop up when I click on them.
Is there a way to do that? It is so annoying to have them pop up when I don't want them too. :(
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Cross Reference Pop Ups

Post by csterg »

Welcome Chirpz,
here are a few things you can do here:
1. Press the 'X' to toggle them: this is the fastest way to quickly 'clear' up your Bible view
2. If you go to Tools->Bible view options->Footnotes and Cross-References you will see some options. Try to select in "Position" the "At the end of each verse...". This will prevent any links and indices to be displayed within the verse text and hopefully make the navigation easier.

Footnotes and xrefs are the only 'links' for which i have no option to display them only when "CTRL" is pressed, since i thought they would always be useful there (and of course can be switched off), and the popups are usually small. There is also a delay before a popup is being displayed exactly for this reason.

Do you find a good solution in these?
Costas
Chirpz

Post by Chirpz »

Hi Costas... Wonderful program!!! Thank you.

The X and the other options are helpful and will get me by. Maybe in some future addition an OFF switch would be nice, so that the Xrefs still appear in the text but do not pop up unless clicked.

Another thing I am having difficulty with is Xref navigation. If you click an xref to actually go to that scripture, it is easy to get lost. I have not yet discovered a "BACK" button that will take you back to the original verse that you jumped away from.

I noticed that some xrefs are in [brackets]. I have not figured out what the brackets are for.
preahkumpii

Post by preahkumpii »

Chirpz wrote:If you click an xref to actually go to that scripture, it is easy to get lost. I have not yet discovered a "BACK" button that will take you back to the original verse that you jumped away from.
This is done by the green navigation arrows to the right of the Bible View. If you don't see them, press Ctrl+T once the Bible View is in focus to make them appear. These are called Viewer Icons.
Chirpz wrote:I noticed that some xrefs are in [brackets]. I have not figured out what the brackets are for.
Open the Bible View Options (Ctrl+O). Go to "Footnotes and Cross-References" at left. The bottom section tells what the brackets do. They are backward references. You can change the format so that they do not have brackets if you like. This means that if you create a xref at John 3:16 for Acts 16:31, you do not need to place a reference in Acts as well. The Word does it for you, and (in your case) brackets the backward reference.
Adam
JG

Post by JG »

Chirpz wrote:Hi Costas... Wonderful program!!! Thank you.

The X and the other options are helpful and will get me by. Maybe in some future addition an OFF switch would be nice, so that the Xrefs still appear in the text but do not pop up unless clicked.
I add my vote for this enhancement.
Chirpz wrote: Another thing I am having difficulty with is Xref navigation. If you click an xref to actually go to that scripture, it is easy to get lost. I have not yet discovered a "BACK" button that will take you back to the original verse that you jumped away from.
If you are still lost with Xref navigation, having used the green arrows in Bible view icon bar Ctrl+T.
Is it the initial starting place that you loose? or places along the way?
You have to realize the markers that are being made are from where you last left the verses, so if you are taken to Gen 1:1 by a xref and then read a number of verses and click on a xref contained in Gen 1:15, this is your leaving point so Gen 1:1 is not recorded. (perhaps this is an issue Costas?) So as long as you only choose xrefs in the target xref verse, the history will work as you expect, but I agree there is an issue if you go outside this usage, as the target verse is not added to the history.

Jon
Costas, I will add this to the reminder list so you can deal with this issue later
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Chirpz

Post by Chirpz »

I am still having some confusion with the green arrows. Here is what happens.

1. I turn OFF the program leaving John 3:16 as the last highlighted verse.
2. Start the program, and there is John 3:16 right where I left off with NO history in the green arrows.
3. I click the xref, Rom 5:8, and go to that verse. At this point, if I click the green arrow it goes right back to John 3:16....but... instead
4. I use the wheel on the mouse to scroll down through Romans Chapter 5, then chapter 6, then chapter 7, being careful not to click on anything.
5. NOW, I click the back arrow, expecting to go back to John 3:16 and I get Romans 6:23 or some other seemingly random verse along the way.

This behavior gets worse, the more you play with it. The back arrow works pretty good as long as you don't scroll around in a target area but if you do, it seems to get lost.

A nice workaround is to use the bookmark the passage you are concentrating on and forget about the green arrows all together.
JG

Post by JG »

Chirpz wrote:I am still having some confusion with the green arrows. Here is what happens.

1. I turn OFF the program leaving John 3:16 as the last highlighted verse.
2. Start the program, and there is John 3:16 right where I left off with NO history in the green arrows.
3. I click the xref, Rom 5:8, and go to that verse. At this point, if I click the green arrow it goes right back to John 3:16....but... instead
So this is OK
Chirpz wrote: 4. I use the wheel on the mouse to scroll down through Romans Chapter 5, then chapter 6, then chapter 7, being careful not to click on anything.
So here you are going to the next chapter, it does not matter that you did not click on the verse that won't record history, but going to the next chapter will record the last verse of the previous chapter, because that is where you left the chapter from (check this as you scroll through a chapter) Also scroll to a verse in the chapter (you might need to click on the verse here, depends on your settings) and then use the next chapter arrow. Check the history and you will see it has recorded your departure verse. Yes?
Chirpz wrote: 5. NOW, I click the back arrow, expecting to go back to John 3:16 and I get Romans 6:23 or some other seemingly random verse along the way.
As I said above, that verse is the last of the chapter you just left.
Chirpz wrote: This behavior gets worse, the more you play with it. The back arrow works pretty good as long as you don't scroll around in a target area but if you do, it seems to get lost.
I hope this helps. The more you use it with this understanding, (and only clicking xrefs in the verse you landed on, ) the more you will see it works correctly. (there is as I said an issue with xrefs that are outside the verse where you landed)

It is good that you have taken the time discuss this feature.

It is good that you are using the bookmark feature, that is a good way.

Jon
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet