Book module

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
hecaherg

Book module

Post by hecaherg »

I have a book divided in chapters in MS Word. I would like to import it to TW as a book which shows the list of chapters, and then I can go to a specific chapter at a time instead of having just a big book. Just like a regular book in TW. Is there any preparation that I need to do to the original? Is there a way to import it? I hope I don't need to copy and paste every chapter.

Hector
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Book module

Post by csterg »

Hello Hector,
unfortunately there is no way to break apart automatically this document.
What i personally do is to use a Word Macro and break apart the doc in small rtf docs that i later import with the importer. It's pretty fast actually.
Just an idea: markup the beginnings of each chapter with a special marking (e.g. red letter), then have the macro find these markers and break apart the doc.
Costas
hecaherg

Post by hecaherg »

Thank you so much for your reply. I know how to record a macro in Word, but I don't know what the steps would be to divide the document into smaller parts (chapters). Is it possible for you or someone else in the forum to guide me through it? I would appreciate it very much.

Hector
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Hector,
this would require to hand-write your macro because it's not such a simple procedure. I suppose would require some basic understanding of programming. I' m afraid it's not just a matter of instruction. I could share of course a similar macro here, yet it will not just play as is.
Costas
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

hecaherg,

I have the same problem. I came across this macro from a MVP. I have not had a chance to try it, but it sounds like it may provide some help in the matter. If you would like to take a look at it go to this link:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Document_Splitter.htm

Again, i am not giving support to this because I have not had the chance to try it, but I also have several hundred documents that needs to be split and turned into RTF files for TW.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Well, the macro i have is similar (no dialog of course).
What i have splits the document every time it finds red letters. The red-letter string becomes the filename, so the importer can then create a topic from it.
So, what i do is go through my document and make the titles in red letters at the places i want to split the doc. Then the macro creates the files...
But this is just a piece of code that needs to be seriously tweaked to make it work as you expect,
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

The above link returns "service unavailable" ...?

Darrel
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

DarrelW,

I don't know why the link is not working for you, when i click it it goes to the right location?
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

works for me also
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

That is fascinating! Today - it works for me beautifully also! Yesterday - didn't want to play. Must have been the snow in the air. Thanks!

Darrel
Gert-Jan

Post by Gert-Jan »

DarrelW wrote:Today - it works for me beautifully also! Yesterday - didn't want to play.
Same here.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Hi Costas

Is it possible to send me the macro info that does the following.
Post Re: Book module
Well, the macro i have is similar (no dialog of course).
What i have splits the document every time it finds red letters. The red-letter string becomes the filename, so the importer can then create a topic from it.
Costas
I have found the following from:

http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=922 It works well but does not keep the original setup and saves number list.

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Document_Splitter.htm This works but saves in doc. and number list.

I need it to do

string becomes the filename and keep the original layout.

Not sure if you can help.
But I have NO knowledge of macros . Just know how to past the info in.

Thanks

Faith
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Faith,
of course i can send it, but i am not sure if it will work as is; i have modified the same macro several times (here and there) to suit the specific needs. Each time is a bit different, but it's very easy (i think) to make it work.
What do you think? Will you be able to get some (a little) help or do some slight modifications here and there?
Costas
miken

Post by miken »

Hi guys -
So as to share the load from Costas' shoulders -- is there anyone out there who could take on to write this kind of macro and share it out? - one that would either be flexible enough for doing what Costas is saying - perhaps starting off with what he uses for himself - maybe adding or using stacked options IF/AND/ THEN/ELSE etc - to become situation-adaptable ?? --
Or that you could put instructions/ even examples to copy/paste in at the relevant parts/ if the macro failed in certain cases -
so to make ' 'toolkit' macro - ie adaptable by an end user who may not know much of what they are doing....??
... in other words - for someone like me!! :D

Confession - a computer user for 15-20 years - use tons of programs, a load of experience in getting myself out of (or into..?) trouble on the computer - happy to tackle loads of stuff... well, I am macro-ignorant. :cry:
Just never looked in to it.

Further admission: as yet I have not tried this book conversion question - but I see it will not be long before I would really like to make some (personal or personalised) stuff available in TheWord.
Hence my support to this thread, and request - so it will be there when I need it!
Talk about selfish! :) - no, seriously, I can see a need here and see that there could be a lot of people to benefit from someone sharing their skill, and doing what 'we others' don't know how to do.

God bless
Mike (miken)
miken

Post by miken »

Hi.
This is a 'bump' - to put the post higher on the 'active' list (12 days since last post).

I'm just wondering - does anyone have the skills requested here? - and the interest ?- to sort this one out?
Would love to hear from you.

God bless -
miken