[www.theword.net]

Twitter live feed  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Linking to pdf 

Post Linking to pdf
Is there a way to link to a specific page in a pdf?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:39 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Linking to pdf
As far as i know, no.
But google for this, maybe it's possible and i don't know; this is not relevant to tw itself,
Costas

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:13 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for the reply.

I have Googled "linking to pdf pages" I found some articles on linking from html files with a href command. I thought this would be a neat feature. I have some commentaries that are in pdf format that would take forever to convert to Word format. I thought this might be a simple way of accessing the info.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:46 am

This would include editing PDF files. For this you would need a program that could do this like Adobe Acrobat 9 but it has a crazy price tag of $300 US!! There might be some cheaper ones also. This is for working with existing PDF files.

To create a PDF it is possible to save into this format in OpenOffice or Microsoft Office but this has very limited functions.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:06 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
I have some commentaries that are in pdf format that would take forever to convert to Word format.

I use PDFZilla 1.2.7 to convert pdf's to Word format. You can download it at http://download.cnet.com/PDFZilla/3000-18483_4-10906790.html Free to try (10-use trial); $29.95 to buy
There is a free program called "PDF to Word Converter 2.5.3" You can get it at http://www.anypdftools.com/pdf-to-word-get-keycode.html. I have used it a few times but PDFZilla is better. I guess you get what you pay for.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:00 am

Linking to a specific page in a PDF is something I thought would be neat to do. Well..... I finally figured it out.

Adobe reader allows this by using the following syntax on a command line

<path to Adobe Reader> /A "page=999" "<Path To PDF file>"

I tried every which way to phrase this as a target for a hyperlink, to no avail.

Well the secret is to 1st create a windows shortcut in a folder in your TheWord install. I chose to use the same folder holding the PDF.
- Right click in the folder where you want to store the shortcut and choose "new > shortcut".
- Enter the path to your adobe install
- add the /A "page=somepagenumber" (quote marks don't appear to be required)
- add the path to your PDF (relative paths do work here)
- save the shortcut
- for your Hyperlink enter (again you can use relative paths) folder\ShortCutName

Thats all it takes!

Yipee... Thank you Lord!

Now I can go to bed ...... :shock:

Roy

Here is a sample of what I was testing....
shortcut = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /A page=60 "C:\Users\Roy\AppData\Roaming\The Word\PDFs\cyclopedia_universal.pdf"
the Hyperlink = PDFs\Test Number 2 < yes that was the link name I typed in, including spaces.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]