Tips on how to detect a genuine KJV

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
William

Re: Tips on how to detect a genuine KJV

Post by William »

Thank you Jeff,

I agree very much.
I, too, have a collection of various KJV renderings, and I would not part with any of them.

(I'm a collector, but my wife calls me a hoarder) :lol:

I'm zealous/jealous of the Word of God, and I believe in protecting it.
As such, I feel it is important to have a 'document chain of evidence';
in other words: we should remember what's what, where and when, how and why.

Who's to say whether zealous is the more correct usage, or if it be jealous?
Language usage changes with the times, but the Holy Spirit transcends all.

It is truly an honour and privilege to spend my days preparing documents for theWord

A coin with a misprint from the mint is not a counterfeit ~ it just has a misprint; but collectors will cherish it
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

In fact, while I appreciate your work on the "PCE", I will continue to use the original 1769 version for theWord as I see no problems with it and for the formatting (Strong's numbers, paragraphs, footnotes, etc.). I appreciate and will keep the "PCE" in case the need to compare comes up for some reason.
The KJV PCE can be downloaded as a .ont file for theWord with the strong's numbers and margin notes from http://www.allthyheart.org/academy/bible-texts. The .pdf & .odt files also contain a corrected copy of the apocrypha. All the copies of the apocrypha that I looked at on the internet seem to come from the same source (which I think was Online Bible) and have several significant errors. If someone wants to make a book module for theWord you can use the .odt for the source.
donex7

Post by donex7 »

There is an excellent book, "The Answer" about the KJB authored by Samuel C. Gipp. The book attempts to answer most of our questions regarding and surrounding the KJB. You can view it here: http://samgipp.com/answerbook/

May the Lord God bless us all.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

mathetes wrote: The KJV PCE can be downloaded as a .ont file for theWord with the strong's numbers and margin notes from http://www.allthyheart.org/academy/bible-texts. The .pdf & .odt files also contain a corrected copy of the apocrypha. All the copies of the apocrypha that I looked at on the internet seem to come from the same source (which I think was Online Bible) and have several significant errors. If someone wants to make a book module for theWord you can use the .odt for the source.
Thanks, looks good!

But it has a paragraph break at John 1:5 while the PDF version and my hard-copies have a paragraph break at John 1:6, so it can't be a pure Pure Cambridge. :)

In fact my other theWord KJV, and the "alternate paragraph" selection seems to have the break before 1:5. I wonder why, but this is probably the wrong place to ask.

So far I've found little difference between it and the official theWord module, mainly having to do with "enquire" vs "inquire", and one having to do with "the Hivites" vs. "and the Hivites" in Exodus 23:23. That's as far as I've got and I don't know if I'll do much more checking.

Anyway, thanks to you or whoever did all the work. It's nice to have what many people consider the standard. :D
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

donex7 wrote:There is an excellent book...

May the Lord God bless us all.
[Edit: I removed some books I recommended to avoid controversy.]
I recommend Doctor Dave T's site http://www.doctordavet.com.
Last edited by Jeff on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff

vanschoonhoven

Post by vanschoonhoven »

Does any one have tips on how to detect a genuine Greek NT?

YBIC,
Jim
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

vanschoonhoven wrote:Does any one have tips on how to detect a genuine Greek NT?

YBIC,
Jim
There is much written on where the various texts, and the variations, came from. You may be interested in some of the authors referenced above, among others.
Jeff

wish2bflying

Post by wish2bflying »

Does any one have tips on how to detect a genuine Greek NT?
Study your history, understand why the Textus Receptus or the Majority Text is not the best Greek version for use today. Understand that there is not necessarily any "genuine" anything, because we don't have the original autographs, but if you're really interested in using the best manuscripts available you will have to study, learn, expand your horizons, listen to many teachers and avoid those who use personal attacks on others to try to make their case.

Don't allow yourself to be influenced by emotive language, rather evaluate the evidence on its best merits and make use of the gift of logic and reason that God has given you through the Holy Spirit. If one shows oneself to be unteachable, intractable, and illogical, there may be a very good reason for it.

On that note, I would recommend people read Samuel Gipps' work with a VERY large dose of logic and reason.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I see nothing wrong with people wanting to know what edition of the KJV they use, any more than anyone would want to know whether they're using the 2011 ESV or an earlier version, or the 2011 NIV, etc., and wanting to know the differences between them. Although I'll admit the differences between the KJV editions aren't nearly as important (IMO).

There are two sides (at least two) to the argument, and I would avoid stating your opinion as fact. I don't see personal attacks, unteachableness, emotion, illogic, and lack of faith just on one side of the issue.

Maybe I crossed the line by recommending books to someone I thought may be interested. If so I apologize.

[Edit: I removed the books I recommended in the earlier post.]
Jeff

William

Post by William »

I find the vast majority of theWord users to be mature, and very sincere.
Because sincerity evokes emotions, it's easy to get emotional.
I think we're all on the same page; just different paragraphs.
No human has it 100% figured out - that's part of the prize we hope for.

And who said Bible study isn't exciting? :D
SolitaryWay

Post by SolitaryWay »

Great tip donex7! I really did not detect any doctrinal disputation infused into your original post either. Just textural admonitions and clues towards finding an accurate version of the King James Bible today. With the recent addition of the Pure Cambridge Edition to the Word's module lineup very recently, it came across as a timely post indeed.

As you do not need to be a full time professional firefighter to desire a full and genuine fire extinguisher, so likewise you do not need to be a King James "Onlyist", to appreciate an accurate Authorized version. God's servants are ever being warned not to take everything at face value, and I would be surprised if the english translation of His Word would not merit a closer examination than we tend to give in this day. To be circumspect and discerning towards eternal and weighty matters could be looked upon as a thing of honour indeed. Nothing wrong with wanting the best of the Best! Firstfruits of sorts.

Thanks for your post donex7, and may God continue to bless men through the Scriptures. "The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going." (Proverbs 14:15)
vanschoonhoven

Post by vanschoonhoven »

This thread is confusing to me, but maybe it is because I have had two strokes in the last two months. But is what this person trying to say is, they are warning people about that the King James Bible they are using may not be a copy of the orignal one that was printed, He does not seem to be worried about what the Greek manuscripts say. He does not seem to be concerned how your King James Bible compares to the Greek, but how it compares with the first King James Bible, is that correct.
William

Post by William »

vanschoonhoven wrote:This thread is confusing to me [...]
Yes, it is a bit confusing.

Some folks favor one Bible version over another,
and within each group some folks favor one edition over another,
not necessarily the first edition.

It's a valid topic to discuss differences between various documents,
whether it be papyri fragments or King James versions.

For discussions regarding the Spiritual validity of various documents,
there are many many other forums across the web which focus on that.

theWord forum is focused more towards document usage, construction, study and software control.

Sometimes the lines get blurred a little bit.
vanschoonhoven

Post by vanschoonhoven »

A very nice person wrote me an explanation of what this thread is about. He said, There are actually people who believe that even though most of the people in the world can't even read English, the only inspired Bible is the KJV as printed in 1769 and solidified by the Cambridge University Press. The KJV according to them has actually corrected the Greek and Hebrew texts. They'll also quote the verse "The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times." (Ps. 12:6) to prove that since the 1769 KJV is the 7th revision of the line of English Bibles (Starting with Wycliffe) that this is the only exact copy of the true word of God.

I find this interesting, since this is on a site about Bible study. It shows the importance of reading the actual text in context and using several translations if you do not read Greek or in this case Hebrew. It also displays the importance of asking your self simple questions. Such as is this really about the KJV or is this about God's words being trustable???
Does this passage say the English Bible is going to be made pure through 7 translations??? Is it saying the KJV is going to be made pure??? Or does it say that God's Word is pure and trustable compared to the words of the evil man spoken of in verse 2. If this verse is about the KJV is there any other verses that also say this??? If it is telling people that you can trust God's word are there other passages that talk about the trustworthiness of God's word??? Do those speak of the Word needing to be made pure or of it being pure??? The nice thing is with theWord bible software we can check these things out. And after we check these things out we can look at what the Holy Spririt has taught others about this passage in our commentaries and see if we missed anything. This software is a great tool for checking the scriptures out and seeing that the scriptures are true!!! There are even tools that help us know where to look to find other places a topic is talked about if we do not know them! I give thanks for how God is using this tool in many lives!!!