Gettting most e-Sword modules into TW

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello xxxxxx,
I am sorry that i have to delete the links to the password removal tool you gave. The reason is that the author of e-Sword does not allow this. I have personally asked him in the past if i could access some public domain resources, but i was denied with the exact words: "Direct access to e-Sword modules is prohibited. While there are folks who have hacked there way into them, that by no means authorizes their use."
I think this is clear enough coming from the author, and so is the motive behind this.

Now, this will not apply to non-official modules that are not password protected -this is why the importer does convert the ones without a password (there is no technical issue with the password protected ones, but i have chosen to disallow the conversion of the password-protected ones). Actually, the trick here is not the password itself (although if one exists is a good indication that the author does not like access to this).

The second thing to consider is whether someone can claim copyright on something and enforce it with a password. For example, could i password protect the KJV and claim copyright on it? Probably no... but in the specific case we should respect the opinion of our brother-in-Christ (we will all answer to our Lord and each one is responsible for his actions and decisions - i am not sure i would want to answer why i didn't respect the wish of my brother).

Be very careful also, that there are e-Sword modules that are NOT in the public domain, and these ones should not be 'touched' since there is a copyright issue there.

For the public-domain ones, the only question that remains is the duplication of effort. I know that several people have worked in preparing modules for eSword and have donated their work with good will, and now this needs to be done again for no apparent (at least to me) reason (actually, one of eSword's official modules is copied from TW and is also password protected :) - so this means that my efforts, for which i claimed nothing, are now under the 'copyright claims' of eSword, and if you ask to copy them, you will not be allowed; and if TW's site goes out, then you have this module 'locked' by eSword with a copyright that it's not legal...; i am not sure how good is this).

So, to sum up:
1. I don't want to provide a way, or instructions to convert the module of eSword that have a password and are official modules, unless the author changes his mind. If unsure, just drop him an email and see the answer.
2. There is no need to convert most of these modules since the texts can be found in the public domain anyway
3. Since some of the work that has been done for public domain eSword modules has taken time, effort (and probably money), and it's clear that the author does not want to give it away for free, we should respect this decision (quoting from him: "We have all had to convert the resources from raw form for use within our respective products.")

I will need to be strict on that unless something changes. If you feel you can ask the author of eSword to change his mind, it would be great.

Please, see also relevant discussion here: http://forum.theword.gr/viewtopic.php?p=769#769

Hope this is clear and does not offend anyone.
Costas
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Gettting most e-Sword modules into TW

Post by csterg »

xxxxxx wrote: However, I have noticed that the commentaries all have something along the lines of "parpardsa120parb1" at the beginning of each entry. I think this is probably caused by the Importer not parsing something correctly.
Can you point me to a module and entry that this error happens? You shouldn't get these things...
Costas