Bible View to emulate printed version of Bible?

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
GleninTenn

Bible View to emulate printed version of Bible?

Post by GleninTenn »

One of the challenges I'm running into now that I'm 10 years into e-Bibles of various formats is how unremarkable they are in terms of remembering where a certain passage is.

Having used a printed Bible for the better part of 20 years before electronic Bibles really took off, i have marked my print Bible extensively and easily flip to various passages where the page layout plus marking seem to "stick" in memory far better than the never-ending text of an electronic Bible.

This is certainly not meant as a criticism of Costas' dedication or anyone's work on electronic Bibles... they turn searching for specific text and ideas a fraction of the time print required to find the same.

It's just that I wondered if the specific layout of different Bibles is "copyrighted"? for instance, I noticed that 1980s vintage Thompson, Wide Margin chain reference Bibles in usable condition now run several $100s to purchase. It seems that Thompson has stopped this particular combination (KJV + Wide Margin + Chain Reference - a 1996 version of this bible is currently $2000 on Amazon).

Is it possible to get overlay layouts similar to specific print Bibles --- I'm only talking about the text flow looking like a specific Bible type? I honestly don't know what the most popular Bibles would be to target for layout nor the legal implications. It just came to mind that if I could have a view where "Thompson Chain Reference Bible, 1982" was available, it would be of interest.

Here's an example of Bible someone else has marked up. I tend to have writing and notes all over the page as well so that each page has it's own look. You can imagine over years that a particular page will be recalled when a topic is mentioned (even if the exact reference is not remembered verbatim).

csterg
Site Admin

Re: Bible View to emulate printed version of Bible?

Post by csterg »

I will answer as a non-developer: I AGREE with you...
But as a developer i can see so many issue in trying to accomplish such a thing that i would not even dare to undertake the task of 'sketching' such a function.
Costas