Morphology-based formatting

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
scowell

Morphology-based formatting

Post by scowell »

Hi Costas (or anyone else who can give me a hand),

Firstly thanks for all your hard work on theWord - I love it! Secondly, is there any way (or if there isn't, how do you recommend I go about creating a way) for by Bible view to have formatting based on morphology?

What I'm looking for the ability (in the Greek and Hebrew modules I have installed) to automatically have, say, verbs in bold, or infinitives coloured orange, or things like that. I assume it's doable as the modules have the morphology included, but I can't find the functionality. Am I missing it, or do I need to manually create it myself?

Cheers in anticipation!
Simon
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Morphology-based formatting

Post by csterg »

Hello Simon and welcome.
Unfortunately what you ask about formatting based on morphology is not possible.
This can only be done if you manually edit a Bible module (e.g. an .ont file) and do that manually.
Actually you could do that by adding verse.rules at the end without changing the actual Bible text (haven't thought through that but i think it is doable). You will need to read the Bible module specification first to see what the verse.rules are and you need to have some knowledge of regular expressions,
Anyway, this will be a static solution probably
Costas
scowell

Post by scowell »

Ok great, thanks Costas! One more question, though - I'm having trouble getting the module I'm interested in (a .otx module) to open in a readable format for editing. What might I be doing wrong - I was under the impression it was a simple text file? Perhaps I'm using the wrong encoding to try and open it, but none of the options seem to render it legible...

Apologies for the vague question, and thanks again in anticipation.
Simon
JG

Post by JG »

From the manual:
If a Bible module file is encrypted, then its extension will have an extra x at the end (e.g. .ontx, .otx, .ntx). A module may be encrypted either due to copyright reasons or because of the author's request, or both.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
scowell

Post by scowell »

JG wrote:From the manual:
If a Bible module file is encrypted, then its extension will have an extra x at the end (e.g. .ontx, .otx, .ntx). A module may be encrypted either due to copyright reasons or because of the author's request, or both.
Ah, thanks! I suspected that was the case... is there ANY way to de-encrypt it? I realise it's probably encrypted for copyright reasons... I'm just attempting Costa's suggested static solution using verse.rules...
JG

Post by JG »

I realise this is not what you are asking for but if you put all the primary codes for the WHM database module in one search they will markup in different colours.

Code: Select all

m/@v* or m/@nc* or m/a* or m/P* or m/np* or  m/p* or m/uc*  or m/uo*  or m/v*  or m/ng*
Then if it was possible to add a search markup overlay (made up idea) and one could choose to use this overlay or not then you would have what you need, when you needed it.
@Costas, does this seem possible?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
scowell

Post by scowell »

Thanks Jon, that's very helpful - I didn't realise that the search would render results in different colours like that. Although as you say it's not quite what I was looking for, it's definitely a start.
Thanks again,
S
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

JG wrote:I realise this is not what you are asking for but if you put all the primary codes for the WHM database module in one search they will markup in different colours.

Code: Select all

m/@v* or m/@nc* or m/a* or m/P* or m/np* or  m/p* or m/uc*  or m/uo*  or m/v*  or m/ng*
Then if it was possible to add a search markup overlay (made up idea) and one could choose to use this overlay or not then you would have what you need, when you needed it.
@Costas, does this seem possible?
Well, it's an overkill: i am sure you notice that tw slows down, doesn't it?
To do it properly it would require some internal programming. What i suggested was to add some tags in the .ont file (maybe switchable) to mark the morphology constructs in a way that can be colored with the keys using <font color=...> tags.
I suspect that one would like to color 5-6 parts of speech, not more, so it would be possible to add 5-6 colors/tags in the .ont file to do that
Costas
scowell

Post by scowell »

Hi Costas,
It does indeed. The only problem with your solution (which would, as you say, be a static one, which is pretty much what I'm after), is that the modules I have that include morphology are encrypted. Are you aware of any modules that include morphology that aren't encrypted?
Cheers,
Simon
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

The only encrypted one is the WHM.
What are you looking for?
Costas
scowell

Post by scowell »

Looking for an unencrypted (Hebrew especially) module that has morphology tags attached. It seems that none of the unencrypted modules I can find have morphology attached. Or am I just missing it...?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

There is none, sorry
Costas
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

Scowell,

You can download the KJV + TVM (tense, voice, mood) version at the following link:
http://www.wordmodules.com/the-word-mod ... ctionary/
I know you were looking for a Hebrew text but this version has the Hebrew morphology attached to the English. It's a great help.
godlovesdavid

Post by godlovesdavid »

Hi Scowell,

if you're trying to preserve morphology in the English, I also am trying to do this, because it makes for much more literal translations in my opinion. So I'm working on a translation that preserves all of the morphology info in the translation (not that I know Greek, but using lexicons and other helps as aids). However, some words won't make sense even if you precisely translate their morphological information, like infinitives.

e.g. John 1.48 - "Before the Philip to call you, I saw you under the fig tree. "

Just a heads up in case you decide to do the same as I am doing. Good luck.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

A refresh to this post following JGs thoughts for Hebrew here is something for Greek
m/@V* or m/@N* or m/A* or m/D* or m/CONJ or m/T* or m/PREP or m/P* or m/R*

Maybe you want to know what the subject and verb is then
m/@V* or m/@N-N* or m/A-N* or m/D-N* or m/T-N*
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2