How to use the 'New topic...' dialog for a verse

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
csterg
Site Admin

How to use the 'New topic...' dialog for a verse

Post by csterg »

You get this dialog when you are in the book view viewing a user commentary. You can click on the 'Edit' icon (first icon from the left) and choose 'New topic...'
This is the dialog that allows you to add a new comment on a verse, chapter or book.

It seems that the 'Verse reference' edit box is not very intuitive so here is how it is suppose to be used.

1. You start by entering the book name. You get a list of possible matches.
2. Once the book you want appears, you use the down arrow key to select it and press enter.
3. You continue writing the chapter number, then a space, comma, colon, semi-colon and the verse number
4. You get a list of possible matches. Again you use the down arrow key to select the desired verse and press enter.
5. Notice in the bottom the 'Add/update comment on [verse]?'. Make sure that the program understood properly the verse you intend to add a verse on.
6. Click enter again

The whole idea is to enter the verse reference WITHOUT using the mouse at all.
You just need to use the down-arrow key and the enter key at the intermediate steps to select from the list of suggestions that is populated as you write,

Hope this is clear,
Costas
Douglas

Re: How to use the 'New topic...' dialog for a verse

Post by Douglas »

csterg wrote:You get this dialog when you are in the book view viewing a user commentary. You can click on the 'Edit' icon (first icon from the left) and choose 'New topic...'
This is the dialog that allows you to add a new comment on a verse, chapter or book.

It seems that the 'Verse reference' edit box is not very intuitive so here is how it is suppose to be used.

1. You start by entering the book name. You get a list of possible matches.
2. Once the book you want appears, you use the down arrow key to select it and press enter.
3. You continue writing the chapter number, then a space, comma, colon, semi-colon and the verse number
4. You get a list of possible matches. Again you use the down arrow key to select the desired verse and press enter.
5. Notice in the bottom the 'Add/update comment on [verse]?'. Make sure that the program understood properly the verse you intend to add a verse on.
6. Click enter again

The whole idea is to enter the verse reference WITHOUT using the mouse at all.
You just need to use the down-arrow key and the enter key at the intermediate steps to select from the list of suggestions that is populated as you write,

Hope this is clear,
Costas
Hi Costas,

I have made a number of commentaries and I think that the edit box is very intuitive. Maybe I missed something :)

Doug
Douglas Hamp
Glory to God in the highest!
csterg
Site Admin

Re: How to use the 'New topic...' dialog for a verse

Post by csterg »

Douglas wrote: Hi Costas,

I have made a number of commentaries and I think that the edit box is very intuitive. Maybe I missed something :)

Doug
This is what i thought also, but some people seem to disagree :)
Costas