Apostolic Bible Polyglot Interlinear

Ideas and suggestions about new features
Manuel

Re: Apostolic Bible Polyglot Interlinear

Post by Manuel »

Thanks for the reply.
Manuel.
Awaiting the return of the Lord (The Glorious rapture of the Church)...

http://jesus-christ-is-coming.blogspot.com/
http://www.cristo-viene.cl
Rubén Gómez

Post by Rubén Gómez »

I know this thread dates from a while back, but is there any news about the lexical concordance?

Thanks!
Rubén Gómez
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Unfortunately there has been no indication from the publisher. What we can do is go all over again and try to get the permission. I will write this down.
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Has there been any movement on the Lexicon? I know there was another post about how to include the ABP extensions in another dictionary by using the LSJ definition, but some words do not have an LSJ (or any other definition) so what do we do?

As an example, in Acts 17:11"ήσαν G1510.7.6" does not have any defintion anywhere. Is there any way to get these definitions from "somewhere"? Thanks!

Darrel
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

Greetings dear brothers :)

I too am extremely keen to have the lexicon. It would be so helpful.

You can buy it as a PDF for $4.95 from the official site - I would be more than happy to pay this (or more) for a Word module, if it was available.

I also have a few questions…

1. Currently, when I run TheWord and look at the Apostolic Bible Polyglot (ABP), I see links to Strong's numbers for every Greek word. However, for the "Old-Testament only" Greek words, there are no links at all, and no reference numbers (the ones with decimal points). Can anyone confirm, is that how it's supposed to look? With no reference numbers and links at all?

2. To me, the missing links/reference numbers are the most annoying thing, because it's hard to see where the missing words are (even harder in the "English-only" module). So might it be possible for Costas to change something, so that all the missing reference numbers will show up? Even if there's no lexicon to link to? Just to be able to see a number there in the text would make the text less confusing, and it would also help searching because you could search for the new Greek words. That alone would be a very powerful feature, without the need for the lexicon.

3. This last question isn't important, just something I'm curious about. The original Strong's dictionary contains 5624 Greek words. I wonder if anyone has any idea how many additional (Old Testament) words the ABP adds to the lexicon? I'd also be interested to know how many Greek words are exclusive to the New Testament? I actually asked the author (Mr Van der Pool) here but he said he hadn't counted them.

My love to you all, and gratitude to Costas! :)
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

I wonder if their Lexicon is based on their Interlinear?
I haven't looked at it so was curious.

If they don't allow/ plan on a Lexicon, there could be other avenues for the LXX.

For a Lexicon, A GREEK-ENGLISH LEXICON OF THE SEPTUAGINT by JOHAN LUST / ERIK EYNIKEL
KATRIN HAUSPIE.

Then:
Analytical Lexicon to the Septuagint by Bernard A. Taylor

These are both copyrighted works so they would have to be premium modules.

These should be able to cover all words (I think) in LXX.
I haven't looked at their formatting so don't know how "friendly" they would be to make into modules.

The Analytical Lexicon has a ~$40.00 and the Lexicon is ~$118.00 (physical book forms).

But even if the copyright holders gave permission, how many would buy them?
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

The morphology coding for the OT & NT testament words can be found in the spreadsheet document at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Sg9De-Jm7A. It is a work in progress. A pastor from Greece is currently working his way through the LXX word list and verifying the information. The NT portion is completed and some corrections received from Maurice Robertson have been made.

It would be really nice if someone would be able to write a script that could take this information and put it into a module for theWord. Since this is a work in progress and it could be quite a few years before it is completed, it would be good if it was something that could be very easily updated every so often as corrections to the data are made.

The data for the LXX as it currently is should be at least as good as anything that is currently available. I don't know if anybody has done additional corrections to the morphology for any of the data for the other Bible programs that are out there, but as it stands, the data for the NT morphology is the latest provided by Maurice Robertson and I don't believe it's available anywhere else in it's latest form.

If someone wants to help with creating a beta module for this and needs help with understanding the data provided in the spreadsheet, please send me a private message.

I think it would probably be best for theWord to be able to link data from a morphology database to the data for a dictionary database. That way multiple dictionaries could be referenced. Personally I prefer the LXX lexicon by Muraoka or the supplemental LXX lexicon by Chamberlain, which lists only the additional definitions that are not already in the BDAG lexicon for the NT. The reason I prefer these lexicons is that they use definitions as a Greek reader of that time period would have understood the words. The Lust, Egnikel, Hauspie lexicon (which is also used by Taylor's analytical lexicon) assume that the Greek words mean what we currently think a Hebrew reader of that time would have understood the Hebrew word from which the Greek word was translated to mean. The Muraoka and Chamberlain lexicons assume the LXX translators understood Hebrew well enough to know their idioms and oral tradition and such and weren't just willy-nilly picking Greek words to use for translating with no sense for how the Greek reader would understand it.
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

mathetes, I started to list the LXX lexicon by Muraoka also but my thought was whether anyone is willing to pay for a premium module.

There is already a online based analytical (LXX) though I don't know how accurate it is.

Everything is wanting to go online based but I am old-fashioned enough to like to have "on computer" the data since who knows how long the online materials will last or at least be altered...
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

RevSteve, that's why I also mentioned Chamberlain's lexicon. It follows the same principle but only lists the words and/or definitions that aren't covered in BDAG.

I think the online analytical database that you're referring to is based on the ccat data, which is where I got my original data, but there are many errors in it. That's the only source I'm aware of and am assuming that Taylor also got his data from there, but may have corrected it some also for his print lexicon.
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

My thought is do we really need a LXX Lexicon?
Since we already have APB interlinear which somewhat serves as a gloss.

Now I can see the need for a parser which an analytical dict. from some source...it would show the lexical entry, for me that would be sufficient.

But that is just my thought.

I do wonder how many people would be willing to pay for copyrighted module?

I see a thread or 2 on this...but are these just a few people that have a wish list?

I ask this sincerely since I have no idea if there is a market for it.

I doubt if I would ever run into anyone (in person) that would say to me, "I really wish there were more LXX resources".

Though I would agree that the more resources we have, the better.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

The glosses in the APB lexicon would certainly be nice to have if the editor would provide them. Even if full lexicons become available, just having glosses can be useful. Though with the APB there are a number of words that aren't used in the APB but which are in other texts.
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

I just looked up, didn't realize they did have as Analytical.
"The Analytical Lexicon of The Apostolic Bible Polyglot"

That would be a great resource, I hope they will consider making it available for purchase.