Customizing the location of user modules

Ideas and suggestions about new features
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Customizing the location of user modules

Post by csterg »

franky7 wrote:Costas,
Does not work. I moved the files from the default directory to mine under D:, and TW just recreates the files.
Obviously it does not understand the folder there... this is why it re-creates them.
Also, because I had moved the subject and verse notes files, I no longer see an option so save either subject or verse notes.
You can create new modules at will from File->New User modules. You are not limited to those 2 anyway.
Please add an option in a future releases to specify the user data location. At the very least I would think that it would go to the default users documents location.
OK, will do,
Costas
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

franky7 wrote:Costas,
Please add an option in a future releases to specify the user data location. At the very least I would think that it would go to the default users documents location.

Frank.
I second this feature request. This way I can designate a user folder inside my Dropbox folder (you can get Dropbox with my referral link below :P ) and put there all my TW user books. This will guarantee my personal work will be automatically backed up live and almost instantly, and that also I can use my user books and commentaries on any computer I connect to Internet.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTkwNzUyNzU5
Leoram
Biep

Post by Biep »

Being able to set the root of the data folders would be very useful. I have a dual-boot computer, and should really like the Linux Wine TW and the Windows TW to use the same data - both for space reasons and because of continuity.
An "extra path" doesn't do this, as any new module will not be installed there by default.

Just an idea:
Currently Help -> About shows a tab with paths. These paths are uneditable, as (obviously) TW is running. What about having a separate tiny program "TheWord settings", that shows information from the config file in a user friendly way, and allows editing if TW is not running, and tells us to close TW first if it is? Given that you already have the paths tab, I'd guess this would not be too hard to do - something like a Windows registry tweaker.

Thanks again for a wonderful program!
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

This is possible now. I am sorry I do not recall just how I did it, but I ran dual-boot for awhile till I went completely Linux. I had TW running on both installs, Windows 7 and Ubuntu, with a shared drive that had all my modules. Both installs shared the same data. I think there is something on this forum that discusses that.

Darrel