[www.theword.net]

Twitter live feed  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Customizing the location of user modules 

Post Re: Customizing the location of user modules
Costas,
Thank you for your reply. Here is the beginning of my config file.

[general]
extra.paths=D:\Documents\The Word\Personal Files Folder
ver.3=1

But... it does not work. Looking at help about, the location is still at the default on C:, and changes are reflected in the default folder, not the one I am specifying. And yes, TW was closed when I made the changes.

Do I need to reboot? I will try that just for kicks.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:38 am
Site Admin

Is it possible that the config.ini is not the correct one?
Don't worry about the Help-About in that case since this path is actually added to the current; so it wouldn's show up there
Costas

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:10 am
Profile WWW

I'm pretty sure I have the correct config.ini. (C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Roaming\The Word) I made some changes to my notes, and the date/time on both the config.ini and the Subject-notes.gbk.twm files reflect the updated date and time. I am using Windows 7 if that changes anything.
-Frank

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:05 pm
Site Admin

Hm, this is really strange; sounds like a bug; i tried it though and it did work here.
Is it possible that you have this entry twice?
Costas

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:37 pm
Profile WWW

I don't think it's in more than just once.
I tried to attach the file, but I can't upload. Says extention not allowed. I tried .ini, .txt, and .t. non work.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:31 am
Site Admin

Can you pls try to put user.file.paths instead of extra.paths ?
Costas

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:58 am
Profile WWW

Ok.
Now it looks like this:
[general]
user.file.paths=D:\Documents\The Word\Personal Files Folder
ver.3=1

Still updates the config on C: not D:.

Another strange thing, looking at the following:
skin=Office 2010 Blue
skin.path=Skins\Office 2010 Blue.skn
skin.user=0

I changed the skin, but this section did not update at either location.
Maybe I need to do a complete uninstall, and re-install. I know when I did the version upgrade to 3.2, I did not do an uninstall. I just installed over the old version.

Your thoughts?

Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Costas,
If I uninstall, and re-install, what files do I restore to get back my settings? I don't have much saved, just the screen layout and then subject and verse notes. I assume those would just be the subject-notes and verse-notes files?
-Frank

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi Frank,

before you do anything like uninstall, can you again state what you are trying to do. The setting that has been suggested is only to add additional paths to modules you have on other drives or locations. Seems to me that there is some misunderstanding.

OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:24 pm
Site Admin

Do not uninstall; it's meaningless, really.
Seems like you are looking at a wrong config.ini?
Do you run in compact mode? (open Help-About and see if you have the blue label saying 'running in compact mode')
Costas

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 am
Profile WWW

Maybe there is a misunderstanding, I wish to have TW save my subject and verse notes to the path mentioned above. That way when my backups run, they are backed up. Is this possible? Actually, would be nice if all my settings and configurations were also saved.

This way, if I re-install my computer (which I do every so often) I can easily restore all my settings and notes.
-Frank

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:40 pm
Site Admin

franky7 wrote:
Maybe there is a misunderstanding, I wish to have TW save my subject and verse notes to the path mentioned above. That way when my backups run, they are backed up. Is this possible? Actually, would be nice if all my settings and configurations were also saved.

This way, if I re-install my computer (which I do every so often) I can easily restore all my settings and notes.
-Frank

OK, let me iterate.
The change in config says to theWord the locations it should search for modules. So, the first thing is already done.
The second thing is to move to one of these locations the files that your notes are saved. This setting will not make the program automatically move existing files! So, locate the files that correspond to your notes, close theWord and move them to the folder you just added in the config. That's it.
To find out the file corresponding to the module, check the 'Module Properties' dialog for each module,
Costas

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:36 am
Profile WWW

mari wrote:
Hi Costas,

You require all user modules to be saved under c:\Documents and Settings\.... folder for Windows XP. Is it possible for you to consider allowing this to be saved in another place.

I always partition my hard drive into 2 logical drives. Programs are installed on the C, the data on the D. I ghost C drive and if something messes up I quickly restore from the image file instead of trying to waste my time on troubleshooting the problem. This way I don't lose any data. If I forget to backup from the default place on the C drive and I have this kind of situation I will loose all my recent notes and studies. So I was trying to put my notes on D drive but I get a message that this is not possible.

Mari

Working in compact mode is a very good alternative...But you need to manually locate TW directory for new installations. I run TW in my 2G SD card all the time and setup Syncback to automatically backup my TW files to a specific partition in my PC.

...even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:28 am
Site Admin

imepv7 wrote:
Working in compact mode is a very good alternative...But you need to manually locate TW directory for new installations.

Well, it depends; this is true for the UFD installation; a 'normal' compact installation does not have this issue
Anyway, it's just a registry setting you can add by hand at any moment, will take less than 1 minute:
HKCU\Software\The Word
Dir=<the installation directory>
Costas

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:03 am
Profile WWW

Costas,
Does not work. I moved the files from the default directory to mine under D:, and TW just recreates the files. Also, because I had moved the subject and verse notes files, I no longer see an option so save either subject or verse notes. TW reverted back to the default configuration. No files on D: are updating (looking at date/time). So, I'm just going to put them all back.

Please add an option in a future releases to specify the user data location. At the very least I would think that it would go to the default users documents location.

Frank.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next