The Ten Commandments In The Leningrad Codex

Ideas and suggestions about new features
rpill

The Ten Commandments In The Leningrad Codex

Post by rpill »

I noticed that theWord has WLC (Westminster Leningrad Codex), which does have vowels and accents. However, the actual Leningrad Codex (pdf available for viewing) housed in St. Petersburg Russia (formerly Leningrad) shows unequivocally that the Ten Commandments as found in Exodus 20 has different verse separations! Even though the WLC has Leningrad Codex as part of its name, why is there a categorical difference?

I have self-published my own Hebrew-English Tanakh based upon the WLC, but I have changed the Hebrew and the English to exactly correspond to the actual Leningrad Codex for Exodus 20. Moreover, I have put it online at my website, which also follows the same verse separations as the actual codex.

I would certainly like to see the WLC at theWord correspond to the actual Leningrad Codex for this important text!

If interested, my 3 volume book is "The Pill Tanakh: Hebrew-English Jewish Scriptures. The three volumes are Torah, Prophets and Writings.

I also have a pdf download of The Ten Commandments In The Leningrad Codex, which shows the actual verses in Exodus 20 in web-Hebrew font next to images I took of each verse, along with the English translation originally based off of the JPS 1917. If interested, a direct link to that pdf of the Ten Commandments in the Leningrad Codex is https://www.the-iconoclast.org/images/Exodus_20_LeningradCodex/Exodus20v1-12InLeningradCodex_Printable.pdf.

Sincerely,
Robert Pill
jonathangkoehn

Re: The Ten Commandments In The Leningrad Codex

Post by jonathangkoehn »

When theWord was initially written it was hard coded into a specific versification order. Some text such as WLC, AFV, Luther2017 have a different verification. In some of these you will see the actual order with (#:#) but some do not have this.
To change versification is not simple. Does the WLC have (#:#) noting the original order?
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
rpill

Re: The Ten Commandments In The Leningrad Codex

Post by rpill »

Hello Jonathan,

The WLC (Westminster Leningrad Codex - digitized version of the actual Hand-Written Leningrad Codex) is in Hebrew with arabic numbering (1, 2, 3, etc.).

Regarding the original order (#:#), as you suggest in other versions, the ACTUAL ORIGINAL ORDER IS FOUND in the Photo-Facsimile PDF of the ACTUAL Leningrad Codex (St. Petersburg, Russia). It is referred to as photo-facsimile because it is a photographic copy/reproduction of the original.

Since it is available to view at various places on the internet in the PDF format, if you can read Hebrew you can tell where each verse ends. Every verse in the entire Hebrew Scriptures of the Hand-Written Leningrad Codex has, in the last word of the verse, a cantillation mark called silluq, which is a short vertical line to the left of the vowel character having the word's main accent. Most every verse also ends with a sof-pasuq, BUT NOT ALL. The sof-pasuq looks like an English colon (:). Again, every verse in the Leningrad Codex ends where the last word has the silluq (vertical bar) to the left of the accenting vowel.

Because of this, in the photo-facsimile (pdf) of the Leningrad Codex you can know where each verse ends, and thus you know where the next verse starts.

However, even the WLC (digitized Leningrad Codex) follows the same verse ordering of Jewish publications (such as the Stone Edition Tanach and the Koren Publications Tanakh (they spell Tanakh differently but the Hebrew of Tav-Nun-Kaf stands for Torah (first 5 books), Neviim (Prophets) and Ketuvim (Writings)). Neither the WLC, the Stone nor the Koren follow the actual verse order found in the actual Leningrad Codex. They all break up the the third verse and the sixth verse into multiple verses and make into one verse the three small verses (Thou Salt Not Kill, commit adultery or steal)!

Notably, the WLC and Jewish versions contain fourteen (14) verses for the Ten Commandments of Exodus 20, and Christian Bibles contain seventeen (17) verses for the same! None follow the actual Leningrad Codex in the verse ordering that the Masoretes designated!

The actual Leningrad Codex contains the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20:1-12 (twelve (12) Verses)!

Is that understandable?