requests for theWord

Ideas and suggestions about new features
jwols

requests for theWord

Post by jwols »

In the past I considered a few new options for theWord.

Costas, can you tell me if they are on the list and what priority they have?
1) the possibility to order dictionaries so the user can choose which dictionary is first shown in the popup
2) the possibilty to have xrefs in different colours, so the user can see the source of the xref
3) the possibility to print multiple versenotes of topics in books
4) the counting of searched words is not correct if the word occurs more than 1 time in a verse
5) the possibility of an extended search function, see topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2855 and the picture
Attachments
search-option..JPG
search-option..JPG (40.26 KiB) Viewed 5105 times
Doctordavet

Re: requests for theWord

Post by Doctordavet »

Allowing users to set their preferences for order of dictionaries in the "word lookup dictionaries" feature would be a big bonus. I'd love to have "Websters" right at the top (just under "Strong"); but it gets buried with the first letter of "W"....
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

It is possible to order dictionaries already but it takes a bit of work.
1. Go to the dictionary (For example Webster) right click its abbreviation in the title bar
2. A popup window for that module should appear (Options for [Webster])
3. The third line down is an abbreviation window in this case it has (Webster)
4. Put in (1-Webster)
5. Close theWord (This may not be needed in all situations)
6. Now open the Bible View Options
7. Go to Word Look Up dictionaries
8. In the List you'll notice that 1-Webster is at the top of the list.
9. Now when you use a Popup in the Bible View if Webster is enabled it should be at the top of the list.

I've done this for various modules to speed up my studies.
Hope this helps
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

jwols wrote: Costas, can you tell me if they are on the list and what priority they have?
1) the possibility to order dictionaries so the user can choose which dictionary is first shown in the popup
2) the possibilty to have xrefs in different colours, so the user can see the source of the xref
4) the counting of searched words is not correct if the word occurs more than 1 time in a verse
5) the possibility of an extended search function, see topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2855 and the picture
Yes for 1, 3, 4.
Have not considered 2, seems of low interest.
5 is interesting but i think low priority
Costas
jwols

Post by jwols »

Thanks Jonathan for your suggestion. I will consider this for the dictionaries I use the most.

Thanks Costas for your answer. I really look forward to the new options!
Doctordavet

Post by Doctordavet »

Jonathan - the solution doesn't seem to work. The "word lookup dictionary" mouseovers are alphabetized by file name, not abbreviation. Not matter what the abbreviation is, "1 Webster" is near the bottom. Now, if you change the raw file name, that would work. However, I always advise against changing the name of Costas' official file names. That will result in confusion "down the road," so to speak.

Costas - looking forward to the implementation of this.
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Hmms not sure why it is not working for you did you close theWord after you changed the abbreviation.
Because this works for me I use it all the time.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

Doctordavet wrote:Jonathan - the solution doesn't seem to work. The "word lookup dictionary" mouseovers are alphabetized by file name, not abbreviation. Not matter what the abbreviation is, "1 Webster" is near the bottom. Now, if you change the raw file name, that would work. However, I always advise against changing the name of Costas' official file names. That will result in confusion "down the road," so to speak.
I think that as long as the identifier remains, the filename doesn't matter. Costas would know for sure.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Filenames are not really used, unless there are no ids
jwols

Post by jwols »

In december 2012 I considered a few new options for theWord.

5) the possibility of an extended search function, see topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4361 and the picture

I notice that in the last year the development of theWord slowed down. There have been some new options and many useful fixes.
Know that the time is scarce, but I think that a roadmap for the future of theWord would be useful for users of theWord.
What are the plans, how many time is available? Could we vote for adjustments?

Please consider this post as possitive.
I use theWord almost every day and I am very glad with everything it offers yet. Even if there would never be any adjustments it's already an excellent program!

But to be open in which direction theWord is going, is important.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

jwols wrote: 1) the possibility to order dictionaries so the user can choose which dictionary is first shown in the popup
5) the possibility of an extended search function, see topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4361 and the picture
As theWord is growing, the time required to keep it going (e.g. user support, fixing bugs, etc) is growing. There is a lot of time that is put into things that are not 'visible'. This is one of the reasons that the developments has slowed down. For example, a bug fix that seems small or trivial may take half day.
The thing is that I cannot answer the above questions and be sure that the answers will be valid.
Currently, the plan is to prepare a new release with all the small updates since the last release (and a new integrated download manager that is being worked on). Items 1, 3, 4 are of high priority. Item 5 is mid, item 2 is of low priority. I cannot put more specific tags on these though (althoough item 3 is on top of the list).
Costas
jwols

Post by jwols »

Thanks Costas for your answer and all the efforts you make.

On the one hand I understand that you do not want to publish a to do list, because people get expectations, but on the other hand what does it matter if an option in theWord is delayed.
People who appreciate the program will surely wait! and potential users will see that there is a plan in developing theWord with new options to an ever higher level.

The more people use theWord, the more organizations will be willing to work together and make e.g. bibleversions available.
I know there are several brothers and sisters who want to use theWord, but because of the lack of the NBG and HSV (Dutch translations) buy the Importantia Online Bible or even Bibleworks.
If these translations would be available for theWord, they would be willing to pay for it, I am sure.

It's a pity they do not use theWord, because it is free and has so many features.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

jwols wrote:Thanks Costas for your answer and all the efforts you make.

On the one hand I understand that you do not want to publish a to do list, because people get expectations, but on the other hand what does it matter if an option in theWord is delayed.
People who appreciate the program will surely wait! and potential users will see that there is a plan in developing theWord with new options to an ever higher level.

The more people use theWord, the more organizations will be willing to work together and make e.g. bibleversions available.
I know there are several brothers and sisters who want to use theWord, but because of the lack of the NBG and HSV (Dutch translations) buy the Importantia Online Bible or even Bibleworks.
If these translations would be available for theWord, they would be willing to pay for it, I am sure.

It's a pity they do not use theWord, because it is free and has so many features.
The issue with tranlations is interesting. Publishers are picky sometimes when they choose to license their translations and for sure, the user base, is something that they consider. You know that there has been no luck with the Dutch publishers (unfortunately).

Costas
777Dan777

Post by 777Dan777 »

Costas,

Is there any status on my request of having tabs within max view? When in max view per the icon, tabs can be placed at the bottom of the window to switch between all open windows in full screen mode rather than having to leave max view and return with a different max view. With win8 out on 8" tablets, this would be very helpful.

Dan