Daily Devotional Default Date

Ideas and suggestions about new features
Doctordavet

Daily Devotional Default Date

Post by Doctordavet »

Hi, Costas,

I have a suggestion for possible implementation about the .devx module type. When I use the "Daily Readings" dialogue box to open any of the .devxs I have installed, it always opens that particular .devx to today's date, just like a user would expect. However, if a .devx is in a saved layout, then it always opens to the last "saved layout date" instead of "today's date."

Let me give you my specific example. I have a layout I call "Study Bible II" - it is my "morning devotional" layout. One of the windows in this layout contains a .devx. Every day, when I access this layout, it always opens to the last date that I saved the layout, instead of opening to today's date.

SUGGESTION: Is it possible to set all .devxs to default to "today's date" every time they open in a window? The "Law of Unintended Consequences" may make bad things happen I suppose; but wouldn't the vast majority of users who utilize the .devx module type want "today's reading" to be opened?
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Daily Devotional Default Date

Post by csterg »

Hi Dave,
unfortunately I cannot really do this.
Devotionals are implemented like normal books. Each day is just a topic in a book. 'Today' date is just a topic that is mapped to a date (today).
Now, imagine that every time you switch to a devotional (and I say 'switch' here because there is no 'open' action in tw, everything is open and you just switch to a tab where a devotional is displayed) the current topic is changed to display today's date topic. How would that work?

This is like saying that every time you switch back and forth to a tab that displays a devotional, i switch the current topic to today's topic. Of course, i can hear already you saying "just do the switch only when restoring a saved layout and if it happens that after restoring a layout one of the book view happens to display a devotional". Well, this might work for some, but not for all. Imagine a pastor preparing a sermon and using a devotional like a book and wishing to save a layout with a devotional on a particular topic...

So, I see your use case, but I don't agree it is universal,
Sorry
Costas
Doctordavet

Re: Daily Devotional Default Date

Post by Doctordavet »

Thanks for thinking about it.
Dave
Free Modules at
http://www.DoctorDaveT.com