Setting text color in Book View

Ideas and suggestions about new features
kenwood430

Setting text color in Book View

Post by kenwood430 »

I have seen a few threads in the forums here that are "kind of" what I was looking for (but not exactly).
What I was after (and it seems that TheWord does not yet have this feature) was a way to use a keyboard shortcut to set the color of some highlighted text in book view.

I am moving around the document with the keyboard (arrows) and using the keys to do the highlighting (not using the mouse, click & drag).
Since my hands are on the keyboard, a shortcut to set the color (this could for simplicity's sake be the last color used/chosen. I see that that data is already being tracked) would be real handy. I would not have to keep grabbing the mouse, and this would speed up the editing process.

(a real plus would be a feature similar to one found in a program called ToolTip-NT. This app is for e-sword module creation. It allows you to record text properties-font, pitch size, bold/italics/Underline, FONT COLOR, etc. More or less a macro) and then apply those properties to the highlighted text.

But just being able to set the color from the keyboard would be nice (most of the other properties already have shortcuts).

I did find a work-around. I found that Windows7 has a feature called Mouse Keys. I can (turn that feature on, then) place the mouse cursor on the color set button use the keyboard to move around my document, highlight my text, use shortcuts to set Bold/Superscript properties, then press a Num Pad key (5) to set the color. This acts like a mouse left click. As long as I don't move the mouse off the color button, I can keep doing this.

This work-around does work, but it's not ideal.

So, what do you think? Could there be a color shortcut key in TheWords future?

And before I forget, Thank you for all of the hard work you have put into this app. It is really amazing!
God Bless you!
Roy
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Setting text color in Book View

Post by csterg »

Hello Roy and welcome
thank you for the detailed info and explanation.
Unfortunately what you ask is not really possible. In order to do that, I would need to be in place a system where the user could assign himself shortcuts to commands. Since there is not such system and the shortcuts are hard-coded, it makes no sense to hard-code a keyboard shortcut for such a function since keyboard shortcuts are really limited.

But, there are workarounds: there are programs out there (like Auto-It) that allow you to perform such automated things in other programs (and even know how to move the mouse themselves to the correct area of another program) and do what you want. See if you can find a solution there,
Costas
kenwood430

Re: Setting text color in Book View

Post by kenwood430 »

Costas, thanks for the reply!

I looked up the AutoIT app and while reading about it saw mention of another app (a fork of the original AutoIT) called AutoHotKey.
I also read about the second app and decided to give it a try.

It works really well! I now have the ability to do what I was asking for plus a whole lot more!

Again thank you for taking your time to respond (Quick response!!!).

Roy