Threshold on clipboard monitor

Ideas and suggestions about new features
JG

Threshold on clipboard monitor

Post by JG »

Hi Costas

I have been caught too many times when copying text around, by theWord seeming to lockup, only to find it is in the process of parsing the clipboard. Could I suggest that we can set a threshold of how many refs are parsed. When the set limit is reached we get a popup that asks if we want to abort the action or not.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Jeff

Re: Threshold on clipboard monitor

Post by Jeff »

You know you can disable clipboard monitoring when copying text within theWord, and have it monitor only when "SHIFT" is pressed.

(I know I'm not going to tell Jon anything he doesn't already know as he knows this software better than anyone other than Costas, but maybe this will be a tip for someone else. :D )
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Jon,
there is a limit of the size of the text in the clipbard, above which TW will not look for: default is 100KB
Does this work?
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Some feedback as to when the CM is working and to be able to kill it would be more useful. 100 KB does not really give me any feedback. Whereas notification makes more sense doesn't it?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Yes, you are correct. Unfortunately this is hard to implement: it was hard even when i first did it; so i chose to go with a 'blind' option (e.g. max size). Where would such a feedback go? Where would it appear? Any solution is hard
JG

Post by JG »

Well the CM window appears. Could it appear at the start of the process and be populated as the verses are found, and there could be the possibility of closing the window killing the action.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Unfortunately this is not possible; the verses are detected with a simple regex: i cannot interrupt this.
The solution would be for this to be run in another thread and display a 'waiting' icon while this is in progres. I think this is the easiest to do, yet it's still enough work.
JG

Post by JG »

I understand. Difficulty = time. I would not want you to use time on this above any other feature. I will have to be more aware of what I am doing when the CM is on, so I don't get these "lockups" of theWord.

My other suggestion would be that if CM is off, that there could be a menu item in the tray icon menu that would activate for one time the CM and parse the clipboard content. This would give the best of both worlds and give the user more fine control.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

See.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
I assume you want something similar for the 'global' Disable...
JG

Post by JG »

Yes I suppose it is a similar idea. Just another option to apply that to outside of theWord would probably give greater control. Also if you do decide to add that, would you have time to add to the tray icon menu the option to parse the clipboard. The reason for this is that perhaps the CM popup has opened and you have closed it, but then want to see all the vrefs again.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

It seems this is not a good idea. Through time, it has surfaced that the CM 'conflicts' one way or another with other apps (being theWord's fault or the other's app). The 'Disable' option there really removes theWord from watching the clipboard, thus 'fixing' incompatibilities.

If i add this option (e.g. holding down SHIFT will re-enable it), then theWord will always monitor the clipboard and just popup when the SHIFT is pressed: but this will means that no real 'disable' will exist and it will probably break other apps...
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

ok I understand. So simply add to the tray menu an item that will temporarily activate the CM, parse the Clipboard and then return it to its former state.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

JG wrote:ok I understand. So simply add to the tray menu an item that will temporarily activate the CM, parse the Clipboard and then return it to its former state.
So, you are saying that if CM is disables, there will be a new menu item in the taskbar icon that parses the clipboard 'on-demand'?
JG

Post by JG »

csterg wrote:
JG wrote:ok I understand. So simply add to the tray menu an item that will temporarily activate the CM, parse the Clipboard and then return it to its former state.
So, you are saying that if CM is disables, there will be a new menu item in the taskbar icon that parses the clipboard 'on-demand'?
Yes that is exactly it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

JG wrote:
csterg wrote:
Yes that is exactly it.
Costas: I second Jon in this idea. I would also like something more "at hand" when it comes to switching CM on and off.
Leoram