Towards a socially networked Bible

Ideas and suggestions about new features
Zachrey

Towards a socially networked Bible

Post by Zachrey »

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking about this idea off and on for making the Bible "come alive" in new ways.

As you read the Bible, there are certain themes that play over and over again or certain phrases that show up that have certain meanings that are not immediately obvious or words or phrases in Matthew-Revelation that refer to Genesis through Malachi or direct quotes from G->M in M->R.

Sometimes I find things that appear to be a quotation or uses the same phrase from another book in the Bible that are not shown in footnotes or other symbols next to verses or words and I think it would be really cool to be able to do this online kind of like Facebook or some form of a wiki. "Hey, I think bookA,chapterB:verseC is connected to BookX,chapterY:verseZ" then other people can click "Like" or "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" or "Comment" and add a link to another verse and so forth.

For phrases (two or more words seen together frequently), you can say, "Here are all the places where the phrase, "gathered to your/his people" and what you think it means. And again people can click "Like", "Comment", etc. After a while you will end up with a glossary of phrases that simply does not exist elsewhere. Dictionaries and concordances typically only deal with single words and not phrases.

You can also comment on each verse with testimonies how this verse affected your life, miracles, etc.

And themes like marriage can be a collection of verses relating to the various aspects of marriage such as choosing, betrothal, purchasing the bride, building a home for the bride, the return and the marriage, the marriage feast, etc.

And just like Facebook, you can have a "Newsfeed" that shows a sampling of the recent activity among the users that you can like and comment on.

I don't know how hard it would be to code something like that but I sure think it would be interesting! :)