Comparison of different texts?

Ideas and suggestions about new features
kjboland

Comparison of different texts?

Post by kjboland »

Costas,

Any chance of the ability to have different texts in the Bibles compare window?

I would like this for (e.g comparing gospel accounts). I realise there are modules for this, but other uses are eg comparing historical reports (as in Chronicles v Kings), or prophecy vs fulfilment?

Would be great if this could be made available.

thanks, kim
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Comparison of different texts?

Post by csterg »

I am not sure i understand the question: isn't the compare view supposed to do exactly this?
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Costas:

I think what kjboland is asking for is not about some tW features, rather by specific resources. Especially those with the characteristics similar to that of a harmony module like J. W. McGarvey's Harmony of the Four Gospels available here: http://www.wordmodules.com/the-word-mod ... mentaries/ or in some other places.
Leoram
kjboland

Post by kjboland »

csterg wrote:I am not sure i understand the question: isn't the compare view supposed to do exactly this?
AS I understand it, the compare view shows the same passage but in different versions; I would like to compare different passages eg. 1 Sam 10 and 1 Kings 12 (just random example).

thanks
kjboland

Post by kjboland »

Leoram wrote:Costas:

I think what kjboland is asking for is not about some tW features, rather by specific resources. Especially those with the characteristics similar to that of a harmony module like J. W. McGarvey's Harmony of the Four Gospels available here: http://www.wordmodules.com/the-word-mod ... mentaries/ or in some other places.
Leoram, it really is a TW feature I am looking for. As I mentioned I am are of the Four Gospels, but really want to do my own comparisons, and not have them prescribed to me. Thus I am not really wanting specific resources, but the ability to make comparisons in TW. My only other alternative is to use Word (MS) or Excel, which requires a lot of cut and paste etc.

thanks.
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

kjboland wrote:

Leoram, it really is a TW feature I am looking for. As I mentioned I am are of the Four Gospels, but really want to do my own comparisons, and not have them prescribed to me. Thus I am not really wanting specific resources, but the ability to make comparisons in TW. My only other alternative is to use Word (MS) or Excel, which requires a lot of cut and paste etc.

thanks.
Refining and trying to make a bit of consensus around your request, and now that I'm clearer; do you mean a feature like the one e-Sword has that addresses specifically the harmony functionality as something you can search by scripture reference or event, i.e.: what the synoptic gospels tell about Mat 24, or how some segments of the books of Kings and Chronicles relate to each other? If this is what you are looking for then I think Costas might be now ready to provide a competent answer.
Leoram
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Can't you use two Bible views?
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
kjboland

Post by kjboland »

Leoram wrote:
kjboland wrote:

thanks.
Refining and trying to make a bit of consensus around your request, and now that I'm clearer; do you mean a feature like the one e-Sword has that addresses specifically the harmony functionality as something you can search by scripture reference or event, i.e.: what the synoptic gospels tell about Mat 24, or how some segments of the books of Kings and Chronicles relate to each other? If this is what you are looking for then I think Costas might be now ready to provide a competent answer.
Not sure, as I haven't seen the E Sword recently - I had it years ago. Just simply put, I would like to be able to select one passage in one window and another passage in the next (this could be from the same book - depending on what is being studied). So I might like to compare a few verses from Rev 3 with some from Rev 18 and maybe add an Ezekiel comparison in a third column.
kjboland

Post by kjboland »

Jeff wrote:Can't you use two Bible views?
Yes theoretically. I could also cut and paste into word or excel. I just thought it would be nice to have it all there in one window to aid study. I use a small screen for Bible study work, and so 2 Bible views is not ideal when not at home with 2 displays.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

kjboland wrote:
Jeff wrote:Can't you use two Bible views?
Yes theoretically. I could also cut and paste into word or excel. I just thought it would be nice to have it all there in one window to aid study. I use a small screen for Bible study work, and so 2 Bible views is not ideal when not at home with 2 displays.
I'm probably not understanding your set up here, but you can have two Bible views side by side open to two different texts, and have one view set for verse targets (so you can click on a link or cross reference and one view will change and the other won't.) If screen space is an issue the view can be resized to some extent. You could also make one view floating if it helps with space.

I guess what I'm not clear on is how having the two Bible views open side by side is that much different than having two Bibles open in one view.

(I'm not talking about having two instances of theWord running, if that's what you're thinking.)
Jeff

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

For example, here I have two Bible views open. The one on the right I have turned off the toolbar on the left side to save space (CTRL T, show/hide viewer icons), and you can have one set as a target to display verse links (the eye icon on the Bible icon toolbar that is showing).

Is this close?
Jeff

kjboland

Post by kjboland »

Jeff, I am with you now. :idea: I have tried using different bible views in the past with little success, but my trial today has been more successful. (is it better in the new version of TW ?

I have quite a few positives from this (diff colour backgrounds for each view and also being able to have different versions for each view.) It would be great if there was a way to get them to scroll together. Is this the use of sync?

Anyway, thanks again and apologies for being too quick to reject it. :o

kim

Blessings.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hi, Kim,

Glad you got it! As far as I know the new version wouldn't make much difference, but I haven't used the stable version in a long time so I don't remember what options were added.

As far as I know there is no way to get them to scroll together, and I don't know how this would work in practice for your purpose anyway, as similar accounts in different books aren't going to be the same length and in the same order and things, might even end up being more confusing if you were to try to synch them together. But maybe someone else has some ideas on this? (Whenever I think theWord can't do something, I'm often proven wrong.) Synch will just synch one view to the same verse reference in another view, not get different reference ranges to scroll at the same rate.

Another idea is that you may want to save a separate layout you can switch to when you want to study in this manner, where you have as many Bible views as you want in that layout, and then switch back to a more conventional study layout (if there is such a thing :) ) without having to delete the extra Bible views or having them get in the way each time, or trying to hide a bunch of floating views.

No need to apologize, it's hard to understand or describe all the capabilities of theWord, I'm still learning. :)
Jeff

csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Jeff has put it very well, nothing to add.
Synchronized scrolling for different verses it not there, and cannot be.
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

csterg wrote:Jeff has put it very well, nothing to add.
Synchronized scrolling for different verses it not there, and cannot be.
Maybe an idea for kjboland, if that is the case, is to use (being on a Bible verse) right-click | “Add a cross-reference on...”. This way he can add any amount of cross references to other verses no matter what Bible version. The benefit of this method is that he obtains a cross link between each other. If he goes further and add a manual tag in a personal commentary that refers to each of the cross-referenced verses (hope Costas would be willing to add tagging as a feature), then kjboland could get a good thematic study of whatever subject in the Bible he'd like.
Leoram