clipboard monitor . remain in other app after copying verse

Ideas and suggestions about new features
kenfhill84083

clipboard monitor . remain in other app after copying verse

Post by kenfhill84083 »

I often keep study notes in a freeplane mind map in which a node has a Bible reference. I love the ability to copy the node contents and have theWord intercept, via clipboard monitor, and supply the Bible text for me.

But I don't see why focus is automatically shifted to theWord. Now I have to click, or alt-tab, back into freeplane in order to paste the Bible text as a child node of the Bible reference node I started on.

It would be very useful if I could keep the focus on freeplane so all I had to do is paste the text that theWord had copied for me in clipboard monitor. Perhaps a checkbox in the preferences > clipboard monitoring tab.

I do a lot of this so it would save me a lot of time and hassle if this could be implemented.
RubioTerra

Re: clipboard monitor . remain in other app after copying ve

Post by RubioTerra »

This doesn't happen when theWord is minimized.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

RubioTerra wrote:This doesn't happen when theWord is minimized.
When you say minimized, is that something different from clicking the "underline" icon at the upper right of the window? Because I minimized theWord, copied a freeplane mindmap node containing a Bible reference, selected "copy" in theWord's clipboard monitor -- and the focus was not on freeplane but was on the minimized theWord.

[edit] I'm not really sure where focus goes to but it definitely is not freeplane.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

kenfhill84083 wrote:
RubioTerra wrote:This doesn't happen when theWord is minimized.
When you say minimized, is that something different from clicking the "underline" icon at the upper right of the window? Because I minimized theWord, copied a freeplane mindmap node containing a Bible reference, selected "copy" in theWord's clipboard monitor -- and the focus was not on freeplane but was on the minimized theWord.

[edit] I'm not really sure where focus goes to but it definitely is not freeplane.
Even when I change preferences to "minimize window to tray icon" and minimize theWord, invoking the clipboard monitor in freeplane winds up with the focus off freeplane, not sure where.
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

@Costas:

It would be good to introduce a change of behavior here -if feasible- since this happens not only with the case reported (freeplane) but also with many others, I'm not sure if with all of the cases.
Leoram
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

In the comments above, i notice that the 'Copy' link is clicked in the CM window.
There is no (natural) way in Microsoft Windows to click on a window (in that case the CM window) and NOT getting the clicked window active! Imagine if that was possible!!!
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

csterg wrote:In the comments above, i notice that the 'Copy' link is clicked in the CM window.
There is no (natural) way in Microsoft Windows to click on a window (in that case the CM window) and NOT getting the clicked window active! Imagine if that was possible!!!
Costas:

I see that what kenfhill84083 states above is a bit misleading, possibly not intentionally. On the first part, he refers to a true stealing of the focus when he says: "I love the ability to copy the node contents" (he is now in freeplane's UI)... ..."and have theWord intercept, via clipboard monitor, and supply the Bible text for me" (and here he sees CM with all the parsed Scripture refs). Now he continues: "But I don't see why focus is automatically shifted to theWord. Now I have to click, or alt-tab, back into freeplane". --Until here I think kenfhill84083 is correct. Now the misleading part: "in order to paste the Bible text" (that he has already copied from the CM's UI) "as a child node of the Bible reference node I started on (he is back to Freeplane' UI)".

He confirms the above on the second part of his statement buy saying: "It would be very useful if I could keep the focus on freeplane so all I had to do is paste the text that theWord had copied for me in clipboard monitor".

Here is the point. He has apparently copied the verse references on the CM on a previous step. To do that he has to first activate the focus on the CM by clicking on its copy icon. So this is not really a stealing, rather an unexpected effect.

kenfhill84083 may be indirectly suggesting that on copying the Bible refs on Freeplane while being there, that CM then parses and automatically copies the verses without stealing the focus, so that he can then paste them on Freeplane.
Leoram
JG

Post by JG »

The method to use in this case is the keyboard sequence isn't it.
Make sure it is set in the Clipboard options "CTRL+SHIFT+V is registered as hotkey"

Then in Freeplane use the sequence of Ctrl+C then Ctrl+shift+v then Ctrl+v
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

JG wrote:The method to use in this case is the keyboard sequence isn't it.
Make sure it is set in the Clipboard options "CTRL+SHIFT+V is registered as hotkey"

Then in Freeplane use the sequence of Ctrl+C then Ctrl+shift+v then Ctrl+v
Thanks. That works, although a bit more complicated that I think is desirable.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote:In the comments above, i notice that the 'Copy' link is clicked in the CM window.
I know nothing about such things, so I must accept what you say. But windows must keep track of previous applications that have been focused. I would suppose, in my ignorant state, that information could be accessed. If so, my ideal would be some kind of preference setting for the CM to capture the Bible text then automatically get out of the way for me to paste in freeplane (or whatever).

It would be like what JG wrote -- Ctrl+C then Ctrl+shift+v then Ctrl+v -- but without the intervening ctrl-shift-v. Although I am sure I can get used to what I see as the extra step.

Anyway, thanks for the great Bible study software and for your active interaction in the forum.