suggestion . toggle wordwrap on/off in verse list (etc)

Ideas and suggestions about new features
kenfhill84083

suggestion . toggle wordwrap on/off in verse list (etc)

Post by kenfhill84083 »

It would be helpful for me and my particular learning style if I was able to toggle word wrap on/off in verse list. If I could turn off word wrap I would be able to see the first part of each verse, each verse taking up one line. That would make scanning easier since I could see more verses in the view pane.

I have a couple of programs I use all the time - notetab pro and keynote nf - and I use the word wrap toggle when I want to cover a lot of ground navigating through a document.

Verse list is the place I've wished for this most often, but I'd like to see it in all books - with a keyboard shortcut. In my other programs it is ctrl-w, which does not seem to do anything in theWord - except, of course, the verse list I just noticed. I'm not married to ctrl-w.

BTW - it seems kind of strange you can access the list of verse lists with ctrl-w but then you have to pick the verse list by clicking it with the mouse. You might as well just click the little dropdown arrow at the top of the verse list if you have to use the mouse to complete the transaction.
kenfhill84083

Re: suggestion . toggle wordwrap on/off in verse list (etc)

Post by kenfhill84083 »

kenfhill84083 wrote:It would be helpful for me and my particular learning style if I was able to toggle word wrap on/off in verse list. If I could turn off word wrap I would be able to see the first part of each verse, each verse taking up one line. That would make scanning easier since I could see more verses in the view pane.
It would simplify the somewhat cumbersome process of weeding out duplicates if you could see the verse numbers adjacent to each other rather than separated by the Bible text.

A "delete duplicates" function would be even easier.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

All good points:
1. It is easy to add a shortcut for the auto-wrap, yet it gets hard to support in all views, especially with tables... it becomes kind of silly when you have a table. This means that a lot of bugs appear and new 'modes' need to be invented
2. Ctrl+W: unfortunately, the contents there (with the list) cannot become navigable. Use TAB to focus the drop-down combo and use the keyboard there
3. The delete duplicates is indeed the easier, yet let me suggest:
a. Copy the verse references only
b. Go to EXCEL, paste to it, and then go to Data->Data Tools->Remove duplicates (see https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... aaec1e83c2)
c. Then re-copy the references while the CM is running: from the CM window select 'toList'
d. Now you have a list without duplicates.

In general, the idea of just copying the references and using the CM to create a new list was implemented to allow one to do better manipulation of the list, one of which is the duplicate removal.
Costas
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote: 3. The delete duplicates is indeed the easier, yet let me suggest:
a. Copy the verse references only
b. Go to EXCEL, paste to it, and then go to Data->Data Tools->Remove duplicates (see https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... aaec1e83c2)
c. Then re-copy the references while the CM is running: from the CM window select 'toList'
d. Now you have a list without duplicates.
(un)fortunately I don't have msExcel. I use LibreOffice. I took a tour of its data menu options and could not find a "remove duplicates" feature, although it was easier to scan through the list and find duplicates. Easier still is NoteTab Pro with wordwrap on. It just seems like a lot of extra work just to get a clearer view.

Oh well. TW is still a great program. Thanks.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

kenfhill84083 wrote: (un)fortunately I don't have msExcel. I use LibreOffice. I took a tour of its data menu options and could not find a "remove duplicates" feature, although it was easier to scan through the list and find duplicates.
In Libre Office Calc (I'm using version 5), go to Data>Filter>Standard Filter, under Field name select -none-, click the + sign next to Options, and there is an option for "No duplications".
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

Jeff wrote:
kenfhill84083 wrote: (un)fortunately I don't have msExcel. I use LibreOffice. I took a tour of its data menu options and could not find a "remove duplicates" feature, although it was easier to scan through the list and find duplicates.
In Libre Office Calc (I'm using version 5), go to Data>Filter>Standard Filter, under Field name select -none-, click the + sign next to Options, and there is an option for "No duplications".
Great. Thanks. I've recorded this tip and above in a TW documentation file I've started.