Hyperlinking

Ideas and suggestions about new features
John45

Hyperlinking

Post by John45 »

I am working on a dictionary in theWord that requires a lot of hyperlinking. I find this process to be rather involved, but maybe there is a better way. Here is the process I use:
1. Highlight and copy the word to be linked.
2. Right click on the word to be linked and click on Hyperlink.
3. Click on "a topic for this dictionary" to put a check mark in the radio button.
4. Click on the drop down and select my dictionary.
5. Click in the space labeled "Target verse/topic" to set the cursor there.
6. Press ctrl-c to copy in the linking word or else type it in.
7. Press the enter key to select the word.
8. Click on OK to approve the link and close the window.
I understand that steps 3 and 4 only need to be done once each time theWord is started afresh. I am suggesting some modifications that might make this an easier and quicker process. I recognize that this window is doing many things which I am probably unaware of and I don't want to break anything. Anyway, here are my suggestions.
1. Have the radio button for "a topic from the current module" be selected by default.
2. Have the cursor in the "Target verse/topic" field by default.
3. Have the copied word automatically pasted to the "Target verse/topic" field.
4. Once the linking word has been approved by pressing the Enter key, have the focus automatically transferred to the OK button so that the next press of the enter key accepts the link and closes the window.

I have tried setting up the box the way I use it and clicking on the "Set these options by default", but couldn't see that it did anything because they next time I started up theWord, my settings were gone. Any suggestions are welcome.

John
John
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Hyperlinking

Post by csterg »

John,
I read carefully the sequence and repeated it myself, but I cannot concur to any of your suggestions because they are specific.

The quicker way is to use keyboard shorctus:
1. Use arrow keys to move to your text. Use the CTRL+Arrow keys to move between words. Use CTRL+SHIFT+Arrow keys to select words
2. Press CTRL+K to open the hyperlink dialog
3. Press ALT+d to select the 'a topic of this dictionary'
4. Press TAB to move the drop-down: use the arrow keys (or type in) to select the dictionary you want
5. Press ALT+t to move to the 'Target verse/topic': start typing to select a topic. Hit ENTER to select
6. Press ALT+o to close the dialog.

All this requires no mouse
Costas

PS: not sure if you are aware, but the 'underlines' in the labels refer to the ATL+key shortcut
John45

Post by John45 »

Thanks Costas, I'll try this out.

Please tell me what you are referring to when you say my suggestions are specific.

Thanks

John
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

By specific I mean that they seem to server your use case well, but will not be good for other use cases.
John45

Post by John45 »

Thanks Costas,

I appreciate the answer. This was a concern I expressed in the first post. I do not want to break what you have done. I have been making use of the hot key solution you sent and think it works very well. I do know about the ALT key, but I seldom use it because i find it awkward to use for me. I did modify the process slightly to fit what I am doing. I see that after I have set the dictionary, it remains until I shut down and restart theWord. That's good. I also see that if I double click on the word I wish to link and press ctrl-k, it puts the cursor in the "Target verse/topic" field. That is really good. Is it possible to make the right click on the word and click on Hyperlink work the same way?

John
John
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

But if you double-click on the word to select it first, it works like that, correct?
John45

Post by John45 »

Yes, that is correct.

John
John