"Paste [vv.] to editor..."

Ideas and suggestions about new features
ErikJon

"Paste [vv.] to editor..."

Post by ErikJon »

Costas,

I just discovered the context menu option, "Paste [x] to editor..." in the Bible-search-view window, as when I hover over any item in the search results, or when, in Bible view itself, I hover over a cross-reference and right click any one of them. I don't know if this is a new feature or an old one, but I like it!

I have one suggestion, however: namely, that you embed the Bible reference with the verse, whenever TheWord pastes in this way.

Otherwise we have to edit every verse, every time we paste, to include manually the reference, which sort of defeats the purpose of having the convenience of quickly pasting verses.

After all, how often do you paste any verse without the reference included? Hardly ever, I guess.

As for me, I include the reference when I write letters and briefly quote a verse, when I prepare Bible studies for new believers, when I design materials for our Bible Institute, when I make doctrinal notes for my own use, when I prepare sermons, and the list goes on. I cannot think of any case when I would not want the reference included beside a Bible verse.

Consequently, wherever TW offers the feature of copying and pasting any Bible verse or passage, I would make sure that it always copied together with the reference--even if it were not necessarily in the most desirable format to the user (e.g., Jn. 3:16 vs. Jo III.xvi)
Attachments
tw2.png
tw2.png (69.24 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
tw1.png
tw1.png (39.71 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Last edited by ErikJon on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: "Paste [vv.] to editor..."

Post by JG »

The outcome depends on the settings you have in the Copy Verses dialog -> Step 4, and in the advanced settings as highlighted.

TIP: If you hold down the Ctrl key when clicking on the Paste [x] to editor -> (Currently active user book view), you will get the Copy Verses dialog where you can see the outcome and change it if needed. You have a choice to make different settings, press copy, reset settings and close and you should get the data pasted to the view. Or if all looks good, just copy and close button, and it will paste....
2015-11-09_172653.png
2015-11-09_172653.png (33.84 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Thanks for the quick reply, brother.

Unfortunately, after trying what you suggested, I still came up empty.

Below you will see two similar screenshots (labeled to help). (I am hoping that they will upload in the right order).

The first one is how my "copy verses" dialog box appears during normal operation, as when reading from Bibleview and then pressing F5 to copy. As you can see, I have always had it set to show each block of text with the abbreviated reference in parentheses at the end. My "advanced options" drop-down menu shows that I have not had the option selected, of omitting the reference.

The second screenshot is what I see when right-clicking any cross-reference or Bible-search result, and CTRL+clicking the "Paste [vv.] to editor" option, as you suggested. The "advanced option" drop-down menu still shows that the reference is not to be omitted, and YET the "copy verses" dialog box suddenly chooses to omit my reference. (The verse itself is not the same one as in the first screenshot, because I was right-clicking on a different verse, of course.)

Very peculiar.

Of course, ideally, I would LOVE for every Bible reference pasted, to follow the pattern set in my "copy verses" preferences, but I was not insisting on that one; I just wanted any reference to appear in any form, each time a verse was copied and pasted in the way described above in my first post, but this is not currently working.

(In fact, I wish that the "verse list" would also display references according to my "copy verses" preferences, but I don't want to give Costas any more headaches than he already has, and this is another issue altogether)

So, any other ideas, guys?
Attachments
my normal settings.png
my normal settings.png (69.68 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Last edited by ErikJon on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

(phBB put my uploads in reverse order, apparently, so I am uploading the second image here separately. They should now appear in the right order.)
Attachments
my new settings when CTRL selecting from context menus.png
my new settings when CTRL selecting from context menus.png (70.27 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

ErikJon, I don't see from your screenshots where you have the reference set in Step 4 of the dialog.
JG wrote:The outcome depends on the settings you have in the Copy Verses dialog -> Step 4, and in the advanced settings as highlighted.
Or click on "Quick help on formatting" in the lower left of the dialog and note especially the last paragraph.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

I believe you may have solved the problem for me, Jeff!

Apparently this dialog box allows the user to display a Bible reference as a "footer," rather than as a full-fledged "Bible reference" (as you see in the sample pane of the first screenshot), without having to "set up" Step 4.

Apparently this is what I did, three years ago, when I began using the program, guided mainly by the sample display presented in the right panel. Until today, what you see in the first screenshot has been sufficient for all of my applications. It is only now, that I was having trouble getting the verses to paste with references from the context menu, that I began to see that I had never set up the "copy verses" dialog box correctly to begin with.

Very strange.

I am uploading with this post a new screenshot of my new "copy verses" layout, with one additional field in the "Step 4" filled in, and the "footer" un-checked . The funny thing is that the printed result is exactly the same, but the new benefit is that it seems to solve the problem of correctly pasting verse references by means of the context menu + CTRL.

Thanks a bunch, eeryone, and please excuse my ignorance.
Attachments
with today's modified settings.png
with today's modified settings.png (44.32 KiB) Viewed 2209 times