Suggestion: View cross-reference in new Bible window

Ideas and suggestions about new features
paul1149

Suggestion: View cross-reference in new Bible window

Post by paul1149 »

This is for your consideration. I often would like to check out a cross-reference in context, but I don't want to mess up the existing Bible windows I have open. It occurred to me that opening the CR in a new window via the context menu would be a big plus. I also think that having that new window floating rather than embedded would be best, so it wouldn't disturb the existing layout at all.

Blessings,
Paul
JG

Re: Suggestion: View cross-reference in new Bible window

Post by JG »

You can achieve this in just a few steps with what is here

1. Hover your CR to get a popup
2. Hold down shift key and Move the mouse into the popup
3. Right click and select "copy all content" and Clipboard Monitor should popup (if not hold down the shift key and "copy all content")
4. In the CM you can scroll the verses with a mouse wheel
2015-11-12_233638.png
2015-11-12_233638.png (9.08 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Thanks Jon. While that's interesting and somewhat useful, it's not nearly as good as having a new window manifest, in my estimation. And it doesn't work on Linux.

BW,
Paul
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

In the Bible view, there is an icon that looks like an eye (vertical toolbar): if you select this, then this Bible view becomes a 'verse target', e.g. whenever you click on a link, it is used to display the verse.
So, create a Bible view just for this reason, put it aside (maybe in another monitor) and then whenever you click a link, it will be used, and you will see all the context you need (even in compare mode to see more translations)
Costas
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Yes, I was aware of that. But I don't want another resident Bible view, and I was trying to avoid disrupting the existing layout each time I click a reference. I don't use a second monitor. It was just a thought. Blessings.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

This is not as nice as a pop-up Bible view with context: Which I second would be nice.

What I do since I'm often in the book view editor window - I'll type in the verse reference with some verses before and after and then hit enter so that I can hover over that link for context.

For example if the Reference is John 1:10 I could type in John 1:1-15 and then hover mouse over it to view the context.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

jonathangkoehn wrote:This is not as nice as a pop-up Bible view with context: Which I second would be nice.

What I do since I'm often in the book view editor window - I'll type in the verse reference with some verses before and after and then hit enter so that I can hover over that link for context.

For example if the Reference is John 1:10 I could type in John 1:1-15 and then hover mouse over it to view the context.
I don't know if it would be easier for you or not, but if you don't have an editor open or don't want to mess up the content you're working on, you can open the copy verse dialog and select the verse range there to view, then just close the copy dialog when you're done.

I wonder if it would be useful, or feasible, or possible, to have an option to "copy using Verse Copy Management" along with the plain copy?
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Jeff wrote:[I don't know if it would be easier for you or not, but if you don't have an editor open or don't want to mess up the content you're working on, you can open the copy verse dialog and select the verse range there to view, then just close the copy dialog when you're done.
You would have to open the cross referenced verse first, no? Which is a disruption of the workspace - unless you mean going fishing for the CR in the Copy Verse dialog, which I think is burdensome. And the Copy Verse dialog is modal, which ties up the entire program.

What I'd like to do is open the CR independently and either look at it or even set it aside for later viewing. While some workarounds have been presented here, none of them comes close to, say, a global (or Bible view) option "open CRs in new floating Bible view", or just an ad hoc option on the CR context menu to that end, in my view.