Total Matches

Ideas and suggestions about new features
JG

Total Matches

Post by JG »

Costas, I nearly put this one in as a bug, until I read the tooltip. I don't know if this is in your todo list, so I will just suggest that in addition to the total versed matched on Bible search that the total words matched could also be added.
Searche KJV for H6767 and got 5 matches (verses) I needed to check how many times the word was used, which is 6 times.
Jon

There is a similar issue with book view search, it just seems to be a count of the number of topics the word is in, rather than the number of times a word appears in a topic.
I am sure this is todo, but again I will mention it.
Last edited by JG on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubén Gómez

Post by Rubén Gómez »

I agree. This would be very useful.

Thanks for your consideration.
Rubén Gómez
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Yes, this is in todo (and much more than this).
However: i believe that in most cases one wants to find only the verses that match. So i have thought that a different function (statistics) could be used whenever one want to find such details (calculating the statistics takes more time so i don't think that such a 'penalty' should be for every search: pressing another button allows someone to do it only if he wants so). Don't forget that your example is simple enough (you searched for 1 word, it's more complicated when searching for more words with AND, OR, XOR, etc).

The final version is almost ready and feature complete (working on language files and final bugs before a RC). I will postpone this for later (or else there will never be a final).

Costas
JG

Post by JG »

Thanks Costas, I am pleased for you, that you are near to the release of v3. I don't think there will be any complaints, hopefully there WILL BE COMPLEMENTS! :D
Jon
FollowsTheWay

Re: Total Matches

Post by FollowsTheWay »

JG wrote:...I don't know if this is in your todo list, so I will just suggest that in addition to the total versed matched on Bible search that the total words matched could also be added.
This thread is three years old. Was this functionality added? I came looking because I had the same issue.

I am just looking for a "total count" of the word or phrase that I am searching on (not just the total count of the verses in which it is contained at least once).

E.g., when I search on "woe" I get "98 matches," but that is 98 verse matches. If I want to know the total number of times that "woe" actually occurs in those 98 verses I have to look through each of the 98 verses and count "woe" one by one to get the total count. Unless there is way/option to do this for me in the software? I couldn't find it.

The way I get around this now is to rely on a very old copy of QuickVerse (I don't even think it is published anymore). When I search on "woe" in Quickverse it outputs: "Occurs 106 times in 98 verses."

Anyway, just throwing it out there as a suggestion. Thank you. theWord is now my "go to" bible program of choice.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I am sorry to say that it's not there yet. Of course the feature is not abandoned in any way,
Costas
FollowsTheWay

Post by FollowsTheWay »

Thank you for the rapid response Costas.

Here is a simple fix in the meantime perhaps?

Instead of the search results using the phrase "xx matches," change that wording to "xx verses." Because that is really what the results are: it is the number of "verses found" for the search criteria we entered (to me, the word "matches" implies the total number of occurrences of the search item).

This is where I was confused. I was assuming that the TW search results were the total number of occurrences of the search word or phrase I had entered (not the total number of verses).

At first I thought my QuickVerse was wrong when they didn't match up! Then I saw that it was verses being shown in TW. I am thinking that if TW had just said "xx verses" in the search results display I wouldn't have been confused (I wonder how many others don't realize what that number really means?).

I hope this makes sense. Just trying to give an easy tweak for now.

God bless.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Good point.
I changed the caption to say 'X verses match' instead of 'X matches'
Costas
FollowsTheWay

Post by FollowsTheWay »

Nice, thank you Costas.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Silly question, but does this change show in the next beta or somewhere else?

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

DarrelW wrote:Silly question, but does this change show in the next beta or somewhere else?

Darrel
It will, next beta is not uploaded yet (watch for beta 1235, when uploaded)
Costas
RubioTerra

Re:

Post by RubioTerra »

csterg wrote:Yes, this is in todo (and much more than this).
However: i believe that in most cases one wants to find only the verses that match. So i have thought that a different function (statistics) could be used whenever one want to find such details (calculating the statistics takes more time so i don't think that such a 'penalty' should be for every search: pressing another button allows someone to do it only if he wants so). Don't forget that your example is simple enough (you searched for 1 word, it's more complicated when searching for more words with AND, OR, XOR, etc).

The final version is almost ready and feature complete (working on language files and final bugs before a RC). I will postpone this for later (or else there will never be a final).
Costas
I understand this (word matches instead of verses count) has not been implemented yet. Or did I miss it?
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

not there.... (yet?): let me check back again
engellion

Post by engellion »

csterg wrote:not there.... (yet?): let me check back again
Hi Costas,

Just wondering how it is going with this feature. It really is the only thing eSword has that I miss in theWord.

Please note, I love the program and all your work. But this is a feature that would really be helpful in deeper grammatical analysis of terms and expressions as used by inspired writers.

Thanks.

Blessings.
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hi Paul,
I am currently very busy with a new site (out in the next days). Hopefully this will take some burden and allow me more time to get back to more development.
I agree this is a feature that is really missing. NO promises but for sure its a top priority
Costas