Using CTRL+CLICK for Cross-references

Ideas and suggestions about new features
ErikJon

Using CTRL+CLICK for Cross-references

Post by ErikJon »

In the prefs you have the option, "Show cross-references on a pop-up window only when CTRL is pressed." This is a handy feature. However, you also allow the CTRL gesture to open the verse in a secondary Bibleview window, which is an even handier feature. I like both features.

However, when I want to open the reference in a secondary window, obviously I no longer want to open the reference in a pop-up window, because I would then have two windows diplaying the same text. As only the Bibleview-window option keeps the verse open permanently, and allows it to be highlighted, formatted, searched, translated, etc., I rather prefer the Bibleview option, in this case.

However, TheWord does not allow me to disable the pop-up action temporarily while still pressing CTRL to open the reference in the secondary Bibleview window, as mentioned above. I can turn off pop-up windows permanently in the preferences, but not as a temporary action for when I open cross-references.

My suggestion, then, is that you allow the user to have both options available, although only one should be selected:
1. "Show cross-references on a pop-up window only when CTRL is pressed"
2. "Use CTRL + CLICK to open and display cross references in separate Bibleview window ONLY
Last edited by ErikJon on Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: Using CTRL+CLICK for Cross-references

Post by JG »

There is another way to get the xref to show in another Bible view. Just right click on it and select the "Show xxxxx in Bible view x"
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Re: Using CTRL+CLICK for Cross-references

Post by ErikJon »

Yes, that's a perfect alternative. Thank you.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.