Revamp cluttered look of Bookview captions

Ideas and suggestions about new features
ErikJon

Revamp cluttered look of Bookview captions

Post by ErikJon »

As you can see from my screenshot, oftentimes the "captions" (title bars) on a bookview window are cluttered with the name of the chapter/topic in view, author, and other things. Usually when I have ten windows open at once, it is hard to tell which window contains which module. I would like to select the windows quickly, but the caption does not usually give me enough information. I say to myself, "Who cares what topic is selected? Who cares what the chapter number is? and (if it is a commentary window) "Why must you remind me which chapter of the Bible is being linked?" (if I have the link option selected, I should already know which chapter is linked by the mere fact that the chapter is open in Bibleview). Usually, I just want to know which bookview window is displaying my Believer's Bible Commenary module, for example.

As a solution, I suggest that the title or other most identifying part of the title, always be to the far left of the caption, or else perhaps the author's last name only, followed by the key word of the title, (e.g., Jones-OT Commentary). In any case, the least important of all would be the topic information and chapter number, which can go to the far right, or be omitted completely.

For example, currently in TW, if I select the comment on Numbers 25:1-3 from Believer's Bible Commentary, and I have seven narrow bookview windows open, I currently get this in the caption: "3. Balaam's Corruption of Israel (Chap.25) (Be". I have no idea which commentary this is, since I have seven others open simultaneously. However, if you were to put the title first, it would be quickly identifiable. It would read as follows: "Believer's Bible Commentary. 3. Balaam's Corruption of..." Then I could see the title and identify my module quickly.

To prove my point, look at the screenshot below, and see if anyone on Earth could reasonably GUESS which module I had open in bookview, by looking at the title bar information. Then ask yourself whether it would not be better to put the title of the work FIRST in the title bar, to the far left, in order to remove all doubt, (regardless of which topic or chapter happened to be selected in the text.)
Attachments
TW cant tell module from caption.jpg
TW cant tell module from caption.jpg (294.82 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Last edited by ErikJon on Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Re: Revamp cluttered look of Bookview captions

Post by JG »

As the pointer passes over a window header, you get a full description in the info bar of the main program window.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Yes, but I just meant for quicker visual identification. Technically we could also open the window properties to get the information, but the idea to me was just to make it faster without any clicking at all, or having to click each open window's title bar, view the status bar, turn on the tool tips, etc. I don't mean to complain, but just to suggest a slightly-more efficient approach, not taking into consideration all the programming issues involved to implement such a change.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
JG

Post by JG »

It is really just Book modules with really long topic titles that cause issues isn't it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Well, I don't think so. I have one file, for example, entitled "Pocket Guide for Christian Workers (ASV) by Dr R. A. Torrey". I have the abbreviated title as "Torrey - Pocket Guide - 1910", but the original module file is called "PocketGuideForChristianWorkers(ASV)-Torrey.gbk.twm" Regardless of all of this, whenever I click on any topic, the info displayed on the title bar is twice as long as all of that, and to make matters worse, the title comes at the end, to the far right, typically out of view in narrow windows that occupy 1/3 of the horizontal screen space. If I maximize the window to full screen, however, yes, I can see all the information at once, as in the screenshot below, but the problem is that the chapter topic name takes priority over the book title and author, showing first, from left to right.
Attachments
TW.jpg
TW.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
JG

Post by JG »

Will have to wait for Costas to comment.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software