Recommended theme for TheWord

Ideas and suggestions about new features
ErikJon

Recommended theme for TheWord

Post by ErikJon »

Hello again.

I have discovered that, as I do more and more reading on the computer screen, whatever I can do to reduce eye strain becomes all the more important. This became especially apparent to me on my smart phone, during the past one year that I have used one, as the screen was even smaller, and the problem of eye strain, more serious. As I searched, I discovered that, the higher the contrast, the more legible the screen elements became, and that, to reduce eye strain itself, it was preferable to use light-colored text on a dark-colored background, in a way comparable to the way that DOS worked on old CRT monitors.

Notwithstanding, the high-contrast layouts for the Operating System that Windows offers for the handicapped, is an extreme example, perhaps even an exaggeration, in terms of my own needs, as it goes so far as to reduce the functionality of some programs, making certain screen elements nearly invisible, for example, or changing the color scheme completely. While I agree that function is more important than form, I think that those high-contrast layouts are only useful for people who really have no other choice. Moreover, readjusting the screen from a high-contrast format to a normal format, and back again, can sometimes take over three minutes each way, so it is preferable for each program to offer its own solution, rather than to depend on the OS (until Windows comes up with a less-extreme layout of its own.)

I have come to the point where I can usually find a nice dark-theme for nearly any program or any app, including for Firefox (e.g. "Dark Background and Light Text") and even Samsung offers some modest higher-contrast themes for its Android format. MySword offers a beautiful dark theme that makes reading the Bible very easy on the eyes (see screenshot below). Some programs come close, using "light gray" text on a "dark gray" background, but the idea is to have as much contrast as possible; consequently "white" text on a "black" background is the ideal combination, not for the icons and other elements but for the text that is to be read.

I have been trying to find a similar theme for TheWord, but none seems to be available among the "skins" offered. The ones called "Eos" and "Elements" are close, but the bookview windows do not seem to conform to their respective color schemes, while certain icons and other screen elements retain their original colors to the point that they become hard to see. (See screenshot below)

I am writing today to propose a very simple "skin" to add to your collection. In this case, it would not be for the sake of personal preferences but for the sake of practicality; for reducing eye strain while increasing to a small degree, legibility (especially for those of us who have less-than-perfect vision, but who are not yet handicapped.)

1. One possibility (which may be rather easy to implement) is simply to add the option of "inverting" whatever color scheme the user selects. That way he can choose the brightest theme and then immediately convert it into a dark one. He could perhaps come up with lots of interesting possibilities. (See screenshot of the "theword default theme" inverted with color retained.)

2. If it is not possible to invert any skin with one click, perhaps you could just choose one of them, and invert it yourself as the only dark theme offered.

3. Another possibility is to offer such an inverted scheme, but then to convert it into black-and-white or grayscale, similar to the "materiel" themes used on some programs. (see screenshot).

While any of these options would not be colorful, they would at least be useful to those of us who prefer function to form.

When in doubt, please read the captions above each screenshot below.
Attachments
MySword for Android: "Dark Holographic Theme" using the "Arvo" font (downloaded separately from within the app as part of a font package)
MySword for Android: "Dark Holographic Theme" using the "Arvo" font (downloaded separately from within the app as part of a font package)
mysword small.jpg (124.61 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
a grayscale possibility, based on an inverse image of the skin called "theword default theme", but converted to "grayscale" and then darkened a bit. I think that this is only the second-best option, because it removes all color. (By the way, the Bookview and Bibleview font used is "BellGothic BT")
a grayscale possibility, based on an inverse image of the skin called "theword default theme", but converted to "grayscale" and then darkened a bit. I think that this is only the second-best option, because it removes all color. (By the way, the Bookview and Bibleview font used is "BellGothic BT")
gray.jpg (701.61 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
a simple "inverse" of the "theword default theme". This is the option that I recommend most. (By the way, the Bookview and Bibleview font used is "BellGothic BT")
a simple "inverse" of the "theword default theme". This is the option that I recommend most. (By the way, the Bookview and Bibleview font used is "BellGothic BT")
inverse.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 3778 times
Last edited by ErikJon on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
ErikJon

Re: Recommended theme for TheWord

Post by ErikJon »

The "default" skin is beautiful, but its brightness begins to take its toll on the eyes after many hours of daily reading.

For those of you who have not experimented with different skins, the only "dark themes" that TheWord offers are EOS and ELEMENTS, I believe. Notice (far below) how inconsistent the color scheme is in each. The window background colors must be adjusted manually, if anything, but then the text color must also be adjusted manually to accommodate the new background color (e.g., if you change the background color to dark gray, you must then change the color of all text to white, in order to make it legible) In other words, the theme does not consistently make the changes necessary to make the overall theme useful with any window that happens to pop open. Additionally, some of the icons retain colors that do not make a nice contrast against this dark background, making them even less visible than in the normal, default theme.

Developing skins must be a lot of work, especially when the only benefit is to suit the personal preferences of the user. I am not a proponent of creating lots of color schemes only to make the program colorful, particularly when the programmer already has lots of functional improvements on his agenda. However, keep in mind that, in this case, what I am proposing is not an aesthetic improvement but a practical one.
Attachments
This is the default color theme (skin). Beautiful, but hard on the eyes, after many hours of reading daily.
This is the default color theme (skin). Beautiful, but hard on the eyes, after many hours of reading daily.
default.jpg (907.76 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
This is the EOS skin.
This is the EOS skin.
Eos.jpg (855.21 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
This is the ELEMENTS skin
This is the ELEMENTS skin
elements.jpg (870.59 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
I'm an Independent Baptist running TheWord portable v 5.0.0.1481 from an external 500GB hard drive with over 1,900 modules installed and loaded in my current module set. I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate SP1 with a 2.7gHz processor and 4GB RAM.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

To make matters worse, even by applying the Windows Vista "Ease of Access" option of using an inverted, high-contrast display for the entire interface and every program within it, TheWord still does not comply, producing a hybrid-sort of color scheme.

In other words, I get many dark elements, but I also get some that do not change, or become even more illegible than they were before the switch.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

One of the main problems is that, while the background color of bookview windows can be adjusted manually, the text color does not adapt. Consequently, if I make the background black, the text remains black, making it completely invisible, unless I manually re-color every chapter of every book module, which would take years.

I have tried manually adjusting every element of the screen, but there are simply certain elements that cannot be adjusted, leaving a "hybrid" look of bright white text windows with dark frames, captions, buttons, etc.

I think that a simple "inverse" scheme would be a fast way to offer a dark theme without having to change and test each element manually.

This year I discovered another Bible-study app for Android, even better than MySword, and much more customizable regarding the layout and color scheme. As you can see from the screenshot, the "dark theme" is becoming increasingly common in apps designed for long-term reading.
Attachments
The MYBIBLE app on a Galaxy J3, Android 6.
The MYBIBLE app on a Galaxy J3, Android 6.
thumbnail.jpg (254.21 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Last edited by ErikJon on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Is that MyBible you're showing? If it is, the main problem I had with it was it having no support for books. I also run a VERY large collection of modules, even on MySword. I have a lot of books that bring out points regarding the Bibles, Commentaries and Dictionaries. Sorry for going "off topic" slightly. MySword and theWord allow me to share non-encrypted TW modules with MySword, which saves me development time.

Darrel
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

I use the Leopard skin and use gray on background color.
Also grey for readers background color (Books).
It works for me.
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Darrell,

Yes, one drawback with MyBible is that you cannot easily develop your own modules, if at all, although hundreds are available for free download, including all the translations that people seek the most (unlike MySword, which does not even offer the NKJV, for example). In fact, if you come across the material that you like, and you send it to the Mybible developers, they will likely make the module FOR you. In fact, having spoken to them often, they seem to be insterested in having as much material as possible, so that they can format it and then make it publicly available.

On the other hand, MySword offers fewer modules, hardly any of the copyright translations, and requires a lot of work to produce any module for personal use. While My Sword is customizable, Mybible is even MORE customizable, if that matters to you, as you can adjust the font, spacing, margins, paragraph options, colors, the size, color and style of footnotes, and the list goes on, to your heart's delight. Double-click on any word to open up a dictionary definition of your choosing, a commentary of choosing on the verse in question, etc. The commentary window can even be set to scroll along in tandem with the passage being read. You can also customize many of the menus, including which commentaries you want to appear on the drop-down menu, which Bible translations, etc. It looks a bit cheesy when first downloaded, but after you customize it yourself, as I have, you begin to see all the possibilities.

At any rate, the point is that so many Bible-study programs seem to recognize the value of dark themes regarding legibility and the ease on eye strain, so it is not like my suggestion is particularly unique.

In fact, most of the software designed for Recording Studios offer dark themes, as well, because their customers use the software for hours on end, in dimly-lit rooms, alongside audio equipment, while the performer himself typically stands on the other side of the window in a well-lit environment. It is not just a question of preferences, but of practicality. I would just as soon delete all of the standard TheWord skins except one light theme and one dark theme, if it were possible.

RevSteve's use of gray-colored backgrounds is about the next best option, for the time being. It decreases the contrast between the background and the text, but it does, at least, dim the background somewhat, although, the darker you make it, the more illegible it will be with black text. Steve's combination is good, but not ideal.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I agree with a lot of what you had to say regarding MySword and MyBible. I also have had NUMEROUS conversations with the developers regarding enabling MyBible to support books (of which I have a LOT). Their stand has been (unless it has changed recently) consistently that they support Bibles, Commentaries and Dictionaries only. They do not, and have no interest in, supporting books. I tried talking with them regarding the tremendous number of theological books that really help in studying the Bible, but I lost the discussion every time. So I went with MySword. I have more modules than MyBible had, and I develop my own quite easily.

Darrel
ErikJon

Post by ErikJon »

Darrel,

I guess I misunderstood, then, that mybible was interested in receiving all material, as long as it was left to their discretion. So, what they want, then, is only Bibles, commentaries, and dictionaries. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, the developer is not only a perfectionist but a bit of a know -it -all. How would not consider any of my suggestions, but did accept my bug reports, albeit sometimes only after careful reconsideration.

So, apparently you've made more modules than I have, for mysword, but I just felt that it was more trouble than it was worth, particularly since I would be using theword on the pc for long-term study anyway.

But I hear that esword is better than mybible or mysword, when it comes to the iPhone,in terms of versatility, material and formatting. I'm stuck with Android, so I'll never know.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

One of the things I appreciate about the MySword support staff - they're very knowledgeable and humble (something I struggle with - just ask my wife!! :lol: ). MySword has scripts that help converting non-encrypted TW modules. Plus their databases are HTML, you can take most e-Sword non-encrypted modules (the same holds with BibleAnalyzer) and, with a bit of elbo-grease, convert them to MySword. Plus they just keep producing updates (currently on 9.2). Additionally Eliran Wong (a Chinese Pastor in England) has produced some extraordinary Hebrew modules, some you can get from the MySword website and the remaining ones on the download page on Biblesupport.com.

I have their deluxe version (one-time donation of $50). It allows me to have split screen (I have 3 on my Amazon Fire OS 8 tablet) and a host of other really neat features! So with TW running in Wine on my Ubuntu-Mate 18.04 and MySword on my tablet I am "good-to-go"! I am traveling this week. So with my 32Gib table, tri-fold bluetooth keybard and my stylus I have a "laptop" that fits in my hand. I can do ANY study as if I had TW in front of me.

Darrel